• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newb with questions on recent purchase
1 1

30 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, LTA newb said:

Sorry folks, working two jobs at the moment and it said moderator had to approve my first post, so wasn't sure how long that take. Anyway, here are a couple. 

IMG_20200307_225426.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200307_223618781_crop_1824x2654.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200307_222629484_crop_1798x2620-1348x1964.jpg

Not much affects the asbestos man, but it will take about thirty years for his villainy to really take affect. I'd worry more about the coronavirus man.

What are the criteria the OP would use to judge a purchase?  

7 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

Nice group of books. First Dr. Strange, Baron Mordo, Aunt May, and certainly desirable by many collectors. Also neat to see a pence copy of ST#110. As for "quality", are you asking for grades to determine value? Is the cover coming loose from the top staple on #111?

Anyway, enjoy the books and welcome to the boards!

Yes, that is what I was hoping for. A rough idea of the grade. I know you would need to see whole book, and hard to do in pictures. I just don't have a feel at all for what's what and the grading criteria appears to be somewhat subjective. FYI: I guessed between .5 - 3.0 for 110, so a 2.0 basically. And between a 5.0 - 7.0  on 111 so a 6.0. I don't believe the cover is coming loose from opening and looking through the pages. These were just two examples of extremes in the stack. The other was middle of the road.

2 minutes ago, LTA newb said:

Yes, that is what I was hoping for. A rough idea of the grade. I know you would need to see whole book, and hard to do in pictures. I just don't have a feel at all for what's what and the grading criteria appears to be somewhat subjective. FYI: I guessed between .5 - 3.0 for 110, so a 2.0 basically. And between a 5.0 - 7.0  on 111 so a 6.0. I don't believe the cover is coming loose from opening and looking through the pages. These were just two examples of extremes in the stack. The other was middle of the road.

100%. This realization makes you smarter than you might imagine.

There is a sub forum here where you can post comics and ask for grades.

Dig around a bit, you’ll find it

good luck

On 3/13/2020 at 8:52 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Nice Books!!!

Just from looking at the pics you posted my initial thoughts on grades are...

110 - FR/GD 1.5, 97 - VG/FN 5.0, 111 - FN 6.0 Assuming the cover is fully attached and secure

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

So far, Marvelmaniac got the first book 110 spot on, hope right on the rest. The other two are still being graded. Will keep u posted...