• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My X-Men Original Art quest.. and the Journey...
1 1

153 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2020 at 4:19 PM, JdMehring said:

There were a total of 28 artists that did at least 3 consecutive issues. In order:  Kirby, Roth, Heck, Adams, Cockrum, Byrne, Paul Smith, Romita JR, Silvestri, Jim Lee, Tom Raney, Brandon Peterson, Joe Mad, Bachalo, Adam Kubert, Larroca, Churchill, Sean Phillips, Ron Garney, Kia Asamiya, Philip Tan, Alan Davis, Andy Park, Billy Tan, Mike Choi, Greg Land and Terry Dodson. I've kept an eye out for any sketches for sale from the first 3 but no luck so far

SOOOO.. Since @JdMehring posted this it has been bothering me - I decided since I basically have the rest of my life to finish this trek (it also helps that the later artists are probably cheaper lol) I am extending my quest to include ALL of the artists who have done at least three consecutive issues... I may be crazy but lets go! :makepoint:

That's a really nice one.  I think Larocca's work was top notch - missing digital effects or not.  

My love is definitely for the Claremont run, but there were a few post-Claremont artists who I thought did some really neat work.  Larocca and Tan come to mind.  And of course Quietly.  

Congrats on a great piece!

5 hours ago, bisquitodoom said:

That's a really nice one.  I think Larocca's work was top notch - missing digital effects or not.  

My love is definitely for the Claremont run, but there were a few post-Claremont artists who I thought did some really neat work.  Larocca and Tan come to mind.  And of course Quietly.  

Congrats on a great piece!

Thank you! 

The Claremont run is what pulls on my heart strings and the foundation of my fandom.. but I figured why pick and choose.. go for it all!! (Plus no covers from the Claremont run fit my budget lol)

On 3/11/2020 at 10:28 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

So after collecting OA for a couple years haphazardly, I decided I wanted to create more focus and goals around it. I stumbled through the first couple years getting acclimated and dipping into all different facets sketches,sketch covers commissions published etc. Kind of just shooting what moves as going along. I decided towards the end of 2019 that was not a great way to collect and saw that some pieces did not mean as much to me. As a life long collector of comics and the X-men being my first love I have settled on getting an example of each great X-men proper artist from the X-Men/Uncanny run I grew up on. As you all know with the prices of art this will be no small task and may actually never get done but it is good to have goals. I wanted to start this thread to share my journey with everyone and chronicle how it goes. I am going to set up a slot for each artist and add as I get pieces.. now there will be placeholders like sketches or prelims, upgrades or cheats on some as my budget may never allow.. but here we go! With the fury of Dark Phoenix chasing a planet for a snack! Once it is all set up.. feel free to comment or drop me a line on pieces that may fit a slot (especially if a good deal!)

EDIT: Now going for an example of Every artist who worked at least 3 issues in a row on the title!

The artists i am going for are as follows.

Jack Kirby

Werner Roth

Don Heck

Neal Adams

Dave Cockrum

John Byrne

Paul Smith

John Romita Jr

Marc Silvestri

Jim Lee

Whilce Portacio

Tom Raney

Brandon Peterson

Joe Madueria

Chris Bachalo

Adam Kubert

Salvador Larrocca

Ian Churchill

Sean Phillips

Ron Garney

Kia Asamiya

Philip Tan

Alan Davis

Andy Park

Billy Tan

Mike Choi

Greg Land

Terry Dodson

7A92BCC9-B8CD-4270-B11E-E91ECFE6A4BA.jpeg

Best of luck on your journey. I think it’s a noble quest and look forward to tracking your progress. The victories yes! Should you choose, I think sharing the close calls, near misses and heartbreaks along the way could make this a legendary thread!

Enjoy the journey!

Cheers from 🍇 🦍 

11 hours ago, grapeape said:

Best of luck on your journey. I think it’s a noble quest and look forward to tracking your progress. The victories yes! Should you choose, I think sharing the close calls, near misses and heartbreaks along the way could make this a legendary thread!

Enjoy the journey!

Cheers from 🍇 🦍 

That’s a great idea and a pretty appropriate one for now- some of you may have seen me post then delete a Larroca cover .. well I made a trade with a local dealer last week , but he called me a day later apologizing profusely that it was actually sold by one of his guys already and never pulled from inventory. Being that I have a great relationship with the dealer and he does good by me all of the time. I begrudgingly brought the cover back.. he worked with me on a different trade with this being one of the results and promised me he will find me a better Larroca! 

not part of my quest but who doesn’t love a finch Wolverine!

AC62F523-7A5C-4383-95C5-401FA7E78B18.jpeg

Bent the rules a bit here- but after my heart breaking miss on a Larocca Uncanny cover (long story about a piece of art being double sold even though it was in my hands!)

But I like this X-men 177 Cover better anyway! 

this may actually be my Favorite Of any of the Larocca covers - fantastic image of Wolverine front and center surrounded by the X-men of the day and Sentinels looming in the background! 

8FBA929A-2643-4A48-A21B-4462606C5923.jpeg

And now for a two for Thursday-

the Chuck Austen Ron Garney Uncanny run was very forgettable from a story standpoint (Stacey X and all that - go back and read them for the fun of the unbelievable stuff they were putting in there) but the Ron Garney Art was very well done. So when I saw this Title splash by Garney with Nightcrawler front and center I thought it was perfect for my quest! Funny thing about this though... I can not figure out where it was published. It is not issue 422 page 1 as it says on the page, but I spoke to Ron who said it was a title page and published just not sure where!! So I will be digging through old issues trying to find it! If you know , drop me a note! Thanks 

A95DD7B8-017C-4B69-880C-1883203F8162.jpeg

1 hour ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I think I may have wished this one into the universe... lol . I decided a month or so ago that JRJR should be my next .. unfortunately I could not find anything available . I made a couple offers on HA and got some crazy counter offers back. Then I noticed one coming up in the HA auction and one coming up in the next comiclink and figured I better arm the war chest to go after one. As I was strategizing.. a page popped up on eBay but not really what I was looking for.. then last night I was scrolling through Facebook and my favorite local Art Dealer Anthony’s comic art was flipping through some new inventory on a video and boom! This lovely page featuring Mohawk Storm was there!! And now it is here.

16F7619D-2D14-4FD8-BE5A-03A5D317138C.jpeg

Nice, one of my favorite all time runs of issues in comics.

3 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I think I may have wished this one into the universe... lol . I decided a month or so ago that JRJR should be my next .. unfortunately I could not find anything available . I made a couple offers on HA and got some crazy counter offers back. Then I noticed one coming up in the HA auction and one coming up in the next comiclink and figured I better arm the war chest to go after one. As I was strategizing.. a page popped up on eBay but not really what I was looking for.. then last night I was scrolling through Facebook and my favorite local Art Dealer Anthony’s comic art was flipping through some new inventory on a video and boom! This lovely page featuring Mohawk Storm was there!! And now it is here.

16F7619D-2D14-4FD8-BE5A-03A5D317138C.jpeg

Silvestri was really good at rendering Storm in a regal manner.

I dig your focus, and the art you’re getting. Thanks for sharing the journey.