• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My X-Men Original Art quest.. and the Journey...
1 1

153 posts in this topic

I actually just completed my version of this goal last year.  I went for sketches /commissions from every artist that did at least 3 consecutive issues of Uncanny Vol.1 from Neal Adams through Land/Dodson. I've considered adding an OA page from each but am feeling a bit of burnout right now. Good luck. I'll be interested in seeing how far you get

6 minutes ago, JdMehring said:

I actually just completed my version of this goal last year.  I went for sketches /commissions from every artist that did at least 3 consecutive issues of Uncanny Vol.1 from Neal Adams through Land/Dodson. I've considered adding an OA page from each but am feeling a bit of burnout right now. Good luck. I'll be interested in seeing how far you get

Nice! What artists did I miss?? (Keep in mind I stopped collecting new books around bachelos run) 

1 minute ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Nice! What artists did I miss?? (Keep in mind I stopped collecting new books around bachelos run) 

There were a total of 28 artists that did at least 3 consecutive issues. In order:  Kirby, Roth, Heck, Adams, Cockrum, Byrne, Paul Smith, Romita JR, Silvestri, Jim Lee, Tom Raney, Brandon Peterson, Joe Mad, Bachalo, Adam Kubert, Larroca, Churchill, Sean Phillips, Ron Garney, Kia Asamiya, Philip Tan, Alan Davis, Andy Park, Billy Tan, Mike Choi, Greg Land and Terry Dodson. I've kept an eye out for any sketches for sale from the first 3 but no luck so far

4 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Dave Cockrum- I went back and forth on whether to stretch for a subpar first run or a decent second. And then I saw this second run page and loved it: I have always been a fan of Havoc and just loved the execution of his power use here 

issue 163 pg 9

E6C28A94-C99A-4FB7-B732-2DBC136796B4.jpeg

Hey congrats on this. I’m glad I didn’t go after it more vigorously and that it ended up in a good home. 

On 3/11/2020 at 5:28 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

So after collecting OA for a couple years haphazardly, I decided I wanted to create more focus and goals around it. I stumbled through the first couple years getting acclimated and dipping into all different facets sketches,sketch covers commissions published etc. Kind of just shooting what moves as going along. I decided towards the end of 2019 that was not a great way to collect and saw that some pieces did not mean as much to me. As a life long collector of comics and the X-men being my first love I have settled on getting an example of each great X-men proper artist from the X-Men/Uncanny run I grew up on. As you all know with the prices of art this will be no small task and may actually never get done but it is good to have goals. I wanted to start this thread to share my journey with everyone and chronicle how it goes.

This is an awesome plan!

Love the X-Men and love themed / focused collections even more.

Looking forward to updates on this thread.

5 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I am over the moon today with excitement ... I just picked this page up from X-men 170 by Paul Smith and could not be happier. Paul Smith was the first artist I ever saw draw the X-men as a child and is basically how I always picture those characters so having a pice of art from his run has always been the dream. One small problem, finding one available is nearly impossible. A BSD collector friend of mine described it as finding a “hens tooth” ... and he was right I am not a long time art collector but in the few years I have been collecting I have seen 0 available... not on a dealer sight, privately or even at auction... and I have looked at a LOT of art: I can not think of one other marvel (I really only track marvel) run that I have not at least seen available.. it may have been grossly over priced or uninspiring but they have been out there. Not a PMS X-men Page. Until now: and only because of my very good friend @AnkurJ ... he knew I was searching high and far and randomly messaging people on CAF to see if they wanted to sell. So when another collector approached him about a piece he had, he insisted on getting this page as part of the deal with the sole intention of letting me buy it.. I can not thank him enough. 

now to the art.. a page from 175 would have been the ultimate prize as that was my first issue.. but this page from 170 is amazing! You may say it is a “talking heads” page as there is not spandex or wolverine drooling.. but to me as a life long X-men fan this page is SO important... this is when Cyclops and Madelyne relationship becomes real. It is essential the basis for the next 5 years of Claremont X-men stories... there would be no mastermind drudging up old Jean Grey wounds... or no First X-men marriage.. or baby or Cable for that matter! There would be no storm as team leader as cyclops would not have left.. or Mr Sinister .. or Jean coming back or X-factor .. or the mutant massacre ... or inferno!! The list is endless of what changes without this page!  

19D4A6E8-D0D6-457B-A691-DCDBA86951AC.jpeg

Excellent page. This period of X-Men is before my time, but this certainly seems like an important and meaningful story page. Congratulations!

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Congrats!  I used to own that page, but, traded it a little over a year ago as part of a deal to get another page from #172 (I own about 70% of that issue and am trying to complete both that book and parts of #173).  

Paul Smith X-Men was my introduction to comics and is the single most nostalgic thing in the hobby to me.  There are many character/talking heads pages like yours that are still extremely memorable for those of us who were reading the title at the time. 

That's awesome. Not just that you have such a collection, but that you would try to reunite such a key issue. I hope you succeed.

17 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Congrats!  I used to own that page, but, traded it a little over a year ago as part of a deal to get another page from #172 (I own about 70% of that issue and am trying to complete both that book and parts of #173).  

Paul Smith X-Men was my introduction to comics and is the single most nostalgic thing in the hobby to me.  There are many character/talking heads pages like yours that are still extremely memorable for those of us who were reading the title at the time. 

Thanks! Sounds like we have a lot in common.. 175 was the beginning for me and it has been a love affair since! I would kill just to see your collection, and chat X-men and thanks for letting this one go.

2 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thanks! Sounds like we have a lot in common.. 175 was the beginning for me and it has been a love affair since! I would kill just to see your collection, and chat X-men and thanks for letting this one go.

Paul Smith : major major plus

Cyclops characterisation after Jean’s death....not so sure . But that has nothing to do with OA