• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,274 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks to the great boardie above, this cool Bill Everett covered book just arrived in my mailbox. Who says you have to have deep pockets to collect GA?

D42B5DB3-D7AE-456E-AF9B-EBC84BD7635A.jpeg

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate, old buddy; how can a coded book from June, 1957, be considered GA?  Silver Age started almost a year before...

I was simply going by the generally accepted idea that the Silver Age began in 1956. I believe specifically with Showcase #4, dated October 1956, and considered to be the first Silver Age comic.

Izzat not true?

Technically, I guess you are correct. This title began in 1953 which is "technically" Atomic Age I guess. All that being said it has a 10 cent cover price. To a layman it might be a GA book. I remember as a kid whenever I was lucky enough to find books with a 10 cent cover price. Me and my friends considered them "very old" and cool. We didn't have definations to go by like there are today. To this day, when I bump into any 10 cent cover price books at a flea market or estate sale or whatever, I get the same thrill. 

Using this specific book to make my point is probably a bad example. But, there are TONS of actual GA books out there that can be had for $20. or less that still get the same feeling for. So GA can be very affordable if you are open minded. 

And what ever "age" it is, it's a great book and a steal for the $8.00 I paid for it!  :banana:

6 hours ago, fifties said:

I was simply going by the generally accepted idea that the Silver Age began in 1956. I believe specifically with Showcase #4, dated October 1956, and considered to be the first Silver Age comic.

Izzat not true?

This thread has been here a while ….. things were less particular back then. It actually had a big influence on my emerging interest in Atlas, which I knew very little about at the time. I think the reason the thread was here in the first place is that the publisher was associated with Golden and Atomic and with the limited interest in the mainstream market, this Forum has become the "catch-all".... which always seemed convenient to me. You're right that some of them are technically SA, but I don't know if I've ever met anyone who considered them that. With a very robust thread in SA about the Pre Hero Monster books, it seems that most folks consider those to be the de facto beginning of Marvel's Silver Age. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I guess I look at it with different eyes.  I remember the newstand in the early '50's (still have two 3D comics I bought in late '53 for a quarter each), and the horror covers of other books that used to scare the sh.. outa me, lol.  I hated the code, and considered it a badge of censorship (which it was), taking away the "good stuff".  I used to get pre-code war comics, coverless in cellophane bags of 3 for a quarter, along with first run newsstand fare, and actually came across two of the same stories both pre and post code.  No comparison of the passion in the pre, vs the whitewashed versions in the post.

I guess technically Golden Age ended in 1950, and Atomic Age filled the gap until Silver Age, technically in 1956.  BTW, I bought a copy of Showcase 4 in the fall of '56, and gave it to my little brother along with a passel of post code drivel, which he of course lost over the years. Just wasn't my cuppa tea.

But yeah, RM, you got a helluva deal, congrats!

On 7/30/2018 at 6:33 PM, Jayman said:

Looking at this cover, it makes me wonder why we never had a PCH book titled "Ghastly Tales"? Seems like a missed opportunity that some publisher should have picked up on!

With a skeleton wielding a whip, by Everett! Would've been outstanding! Should've been whipping a damsel rather than a dude, however.

I'm glad to see this thread on the main page WHERE IT BELONGS. In a late night fit of ambition to keep it there, I offer this humble raw offering from the "beat but complete" box:

47341856.0bf705da.800.jpg

Bad news: it's a little beat up, for sure. Good news: it's an early JIM and it has an Everett cover.  :cloud9:

3 hours ago, Jayman said:

Two newer books to my collection, not the highest grades but both River City copies. I like the Uncanny for the fact that Maneely drew he and his wife into the cover. That's him with the grey hat on.

Mystic%20%2058_zpsv77vupur.jpg

Uncanny%20Tales%20%2033_zpsmucsmo82.jpg

Cool books Jayman. I found out about that Uncanny Tales a long time ago and snatched up one. Too bad Maneely died so young. Kinda wonder what he would have done a few years later in the Marvel Universe.

By the way, I wish you guys would stop apologizing for the condition of your books. These are nice shape. Even if they aren't, it's just great to see them at all. There are those of us who appreciate them the way they are instead of a stupid number in the upper left corner...

11 hours ago, PopKulture said:

I'm glad to see this thread on the main page WHERE IT BELONGS. In a late night fit of ambition to keep it there, I offer this humble raw offering from the "beat but complete" box:

47341856.0bf705da.800.jpg

Bad news: it's a little beat up, for sure. Good news: it's an early JIM and it has an Everett cover.  :cloud9:

Love it Pop. Great Everett cover that I wish I had. That is one of the few titles I am missing a lot of. I would be over joyed to find one in that shape. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

By the way, I wish you guys would stop apologizing for the condition of your books. These are nice shape. Even if they aren't, it's just great to see them at all. There are those of us who appreciate them the way they are instead of a stupid number in the upper left corner...

+1

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks RM! Not apologizing at all, just mentioning the fact that since these were River City copies some here might expect better condition books. I love 'em beat and complete too! :headbang:

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Thanks RM! Not apologizing at all, just mentioning the fact that since these were River City copies some here might expect better condition books. I love 'em beat and complete too! :headbang:

I have a Northford with a very neat split and detached cover. You would never know it in a mylar. Got it for a song and was happy to get it.