• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,274 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, buttock said:

Where did you get Everett?  That looks pretty clear Colletta to me.  

The faces in the background are much more Everett than Colleta and the guy's face is more cartoonish, less realistic than how Colleta draws.  It is definitely Colleta inks and it's possible that he did everything but was stylistically influenced by Everett but my guess is that is a collab between the two.

1 hour ago, buttock said:

Where did you get Everett?  That looks pretty clear Colletta to me.  

Absolutely respect you guys opinions,  the man is clearly Everett (the eyes) imho,  there is an online Everett site that calls the cover for him (with Colletta inks) and I agree. I will post the link when I get home.

36 minutes ago, sagii said:

Absolutely respect you guys opinions,  the man is clearly Everett (the eyes) imho,  there is an online Everett site that calls the cover for him (with Colletta inks) and I agree. I will post the link when I get home.

Atlastales has it as Colletta inks attributed, pencils guessed, so I guess there's room for discussion.  

53 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

The faces in the background are much more Everett than Colleta and the guy's face is more cartoonish, less realistic than how Colleta draws.  It is definitely Colleta inks and it's possible that he did everything but was stylistically influenced by Everett but my guess is that is a collab between the two.

I can find plenty of Colletta examples that aren't too far off, but the biggest thing to me that argues against Everett is how stiff and close up it is.  There's not another Everett book from that era with a similar layout.  His perspective at this time was always further off.  Even in the other 2 romance covers that he did.  Full figures, background figures playing into the story being told by the image.  

The site is Dr. Michael Vassallo's, and the quote is "The main figures in the foreground are by Vince Colletta, but take a look at the 3 background women. Bill Everett!". 

He is absolutely correct in both cases.  I asked Everett on my Ouija board, and he confirmed.  Fact! 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

The site is Dr. Michael Vassallo's, and the quote is "The main figures in the foreground are by Vince Colletta, but take a look at the 3 background women. Bill Everett!". 

He is absolutely correct in both cases.  I asked Everett on my Ouija board, and he confirmed.  Fact! 

As always Dr. Love, you made me look again and the girl in the background on the left is clearly Everett. Can I borrow your Ouija board? I always have a thing or two that I would like to confirm. 

43 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

There are several instances of additional figures added to the background of an Atlas cover.  Maneely was the usual fix up artist since he was fast.   This was not just romance but happened in Westerns and War comics as well.

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

Thanks Doc for clarity (I still say the man looks more Everett than Colletta hm -though I can see his 'flourishes' on the figure, he's not as 'Ken dolli pretty' as .most Colletta mens faces appear to me. )

I always like these discussions about collaboration … personally, I believe it happened more often than we think. Some of these artists were friends outside of work, even having a Friday night Poker game before heading off to their respective homes. I could easily imagine a buddy jumping in to help another artist catch up a deadline so he could get dealt into the game and that sort of thing. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12