• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,274 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Maneely added figures to covers on many occasions and probably did other "fixes" at Stan Lee's direction.  Burgos was art director and laid out covers for a few years.  Heath told me this in a visit to his place back in the 90s.  When you see an awkward cover design but pencils & inks by Heath, it's most likely based on a Burgos layout.

The Adv Into Terror and Adv into WW look like all Everett (design, pencils & inks), though it's possible there might be some small changes by Burgos.

Stan Lee or so I’ve been told by a number of people who worked for Marvel and the others was a great editor on knowing what to put out as his track record proves but just as Martin Goodman was over the top with his numbering system Lee used ever tool in the box for comic production. I think the early studio systems that produced comics for the publishers influenced Lee as an editor for his career. The other publishers may have done the same things but Lee seemed to do them more often at least. I’m in the camp that despite what you may think of him as a creator he had his pulse on the markets early on and was a better editor than most. Everything that made Stan Lee great at Marvel in the silver age began as he settled in after war service. Atlas was his training ground that set him up later with the exception of Martin’s lame distribution deal that caused a pause at Marvel. The Marvel way was already beginning before the 1960’s superhero revival even if no one knew it then…

6 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

This one is one of my favs.

1303383363_ASTONISHING32.thumb.jpg.059a94a7558d034482617f16b26dbd86.jpg

Such a great book! Tough to find in general let alone in grade. I would like to know who got their signals crossed on the cover though. Was it the colorist thinking it looked like a werewolf and chose brown or the typesetter thinking it was a vampire? (shrug)

5 hours ago, Jayman said:

I would like to know who got their signals crossed on the cover though. Was it the colorist thinking it looked like a werewolf and chose brown or the typesetter thinking it was a vampire? (shrug)

Never noticed that discrepancy until you pointed it out.  The editor would have been the one who blew it, as that's definitely a Werewolf pictured.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

love this heath

Mystic34fc.thumb.jpg.0f9f1823da6c7a107ddff36911575fd0.jpg

By the time this issue was published, they were obviously feeling the heat of the approaching code restrictions, so no more terrifying covers.  Regardless, this one has some good horror stories within.

9 minutes ago, fifties said:

By the time this issue was published, they were obviously feeling the heat of the approaching code restrictions, so no more terrifying covers.  Regardless, this one has some good horror stories within.

They followed up with this one. "The monster who came to dinner" was really watering down the horror genre books by this time.

Also, another Harry Anderson cover.

1023680659_ASTONISHING35.thumb.jpg.f55978e3d4f7018748df4d5da6860699.jpg 

10 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:

They followed up with this one. "The monster who came to dinner" was really watering down the horror genre books by this time.

Watered down yes, but the people in this cover with all their varied expressions makes this cover for me more than the glob monster! (thumbsu

40 minutes ago, fifties said:

Never noticed that discrepancy until you pointed it out.  The editor would have been the one who blew it, as that's definitely a Werewolf pictured.

Well either way the -script was in and the interior story was titled “The Werewolf Takes a Wife”. I’ll blame it on the cover paste up guy! I don’t have this issue sadly so I had to check the Atlas Tales site.

036FF82B-0630-41AD-88F3-742AE3DBB562.jpeg

Edited by Jayman

On 5/9/2021 at 3:49 PM, RICK STARR said:

Looks like me  at my In-Laws.

12 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Finally took a deep breath and submitted an offer on this one... which was accepted. This guys, Charm_City, have a few other higher grade(...for Atlas) left. This is *ahem* no longer one of them. A badazz Everett war cover can't be dallied with. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

g0pPqsp.jpg

Well done Jim.  That's such an amazing effort by Everett when he was at his peak.  He had evolved from his cartoony phase to his hyper-realistic phase, and to get that on a cover where he has work both above and below the surface of the water... :cloud9:  I mean look at the waves, the bubbles, the sub...