• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,274 posts in this topic

Hey Povertyrow! I was actually responding to the question about whether I still consider the story a "Clasic Everett," even though Overstreet no longer lists it as such. I'm glad you like the cover with its Venus (who else could it be?) cover. For my money, Venus 13-19 are probably the neatest comic books PERIOD, with special emphasis on issues 16-19. I consider Everett's art in these 4 issues nonpareil. So fear not, I did not take your post as belittling in any sense.

venus17a.jpg

That story is great. I first read it in one of the Marvel 70's reprint titles.

Parts of it always reminded me of the Max Fleischer "Out of the Ink Well"

Koko the Clown cartoon.

916169-Koko.jpg

916169-Koko.jpg.4ba0d60bc79874da044ac2a0184f9861.jpg

Hey Povertyrow! I was actually responding to the question about whether I still consider the story a "Clasic Everett," even though Overstreet no longer lists it as such.

Coolio! You be new here based on your post count (but mighty fine posts and books) so do keep in mind - if you respond to an individual, that individual will assume you are responding to them.

Such is the sad tale behind our misunderstanding. You responded to me and I assumed you were responding to me. How can we ever get past this impasse? Is it possible? Can we EVER reconcile? The ramifications are beyond mortal comprehension! ::choke:: ::gasp::

wink.gifgrin.gif

::yah yah typo edits - sheesh! grin.gif::

Edited by povertyrow

Excuse me, Mr. newstand owner....could you have put the arrival date somewhere else??? Ah, I see you have a blue pencil and the background of the cover is blue. How about you get a BLACK pencil? Mr. Hartley really worked hard on that cover...

916377-mor36.jpg

916377-mor36.jpg.80130afaf556e67579375bd6d0bd2277.jpg

A pair of neat Uncanny Tales. No. 9 has the most uncanny signature on the front cover. Any guess as to who the artist could be?

ut9.jpg

ut9a.jpg

Issue 20 boasts what I believe to Robert Q. Sale's only Atlas horror cover, and it is a classic!

ut20.jpg

ut9a.jpg

27_laughing.gif Never knew this - O. Ule Nevagess. Oh You'll Never Guess but guess we did. On the Atlas Tales website, here's the note on this cover: "looks like Everett drew the green monster and the 2 people in the back look to be Sol Brodsky."

Hey fellas,

EXCELLENT thread! Atlas 1950-59 seem to be the last frontier of comics from mainstream publishers that remaines unexplored and dare I say it, mysterious somehow. Everybody seems to have a couple of 50s Atlas books in their collection, but is it me or are there just not a ton of collectors out there loading up on these books? Too bad - these are awesome.

I've been posting 50s DC war books over on the silver age board (show us your ten centers-thread) and I promised to come forward with some of my Atlas War books. I'll try and post them here, starting tomorrow. I went on a Russ Heath Atlas War jag a couple of years ago, and got most (but not all!) of his classics from that era.

Hold tight and let me get scanning.

Shep

smile.gif

Any Silver Age Marvel collector worth his salt can name the Pre-hero Marvels, which morphed into Marvel's Silver Age super-hero books...but...how many can name the title that survived beyond Jan. 1959, the month that Tales to Astonish and Tales of Suspense premiered, but folded before the super hero invasion? It began as a card-carrying (and globe-bearing) Atlas title, and is considered by many Atlas aficionados "the forgotten pre-hero Marvel."

I am not sure what the answer is (nor am I convinced I quite understand the question but that's due to my poor knowledge of late 50's Atlas) but any of the following titles would qualify confused-smiley-013.gif Battle, Millie the Model, Strange Tales, Two-gun Kid. Do I even have the right answer in the above list?