• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,284 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Combat Kelly really liked that 3 panel layout for their covers, huh? :bigsmile:

Ya think! 

From # 12 on to the final issue # 44, Dave Berg almost singlehandedly drew the book. Ayers, Russ Heath, Robert Q. Sale or Mort Lawrence might have a few stories here and there but for 32 issues, close to 3 years, it was Dave Berg's book. Though he applied himself less later in the run, the early part of the run, # 12 to the mid-20's, this is a solidly entertaining series. Combat and Cookie have an arch-nemesis, Yalu River Rosie and other femme fatales. Once the Korean War is over, the book is retooled by keeping one Korea feature upfront in the book followed by WWI or WWII stories and a Cookie feature centered on warfare, be it tactic or weaponry, called Cookie's Combat Course, morphing later into Cookie's Combat Tales.

Combat Kelly was the second longest surviving War book when the Implosion happened but Stan decided to keep Battle going. It was the correct choice. The format of the two books was similar, a mix of war features across historical times but the limitation of Combat Kelly is that a lot of the stories revolved around this buddy comedy shtick between Combat and Cookie. It was easier to unfetter the continuing title from this demand on the -script and keep Battle that only required straight war stories.

The other War titles felled by the Implosion were: Battle Action, War Combat, War Comics, Battlefront, Battleground and Combat Casey. I find that Battle is a better title than War and it had reached a higher issue number anyway.

4 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

Ya think! 

From # 12 on to the final issue # 44, Dave Berg almost singlehandedly drew the book. Ayers, Russ Heath, Robert Q. Sale or Mort Lawrence might have a few stories here and there but for 32 issues, close to 3 years, it was Dave Berg's book. Though he applied himself less later in the run, the early part of the run, # 12 to the mid-20's, this is a solidly entertaining series. Combat and Cookie have an arch-nemesis, Yalu River Rosie and other femme fatales. Once the Korean War is over, the book is retooled by keeping one Korea feature upfront in the book followed by WWI or WWII stories and a Cookie feature centered on warfare, be it tactic or weaponry, called Cookie's Combat Course, morphing later into Cookie's Combat Tales.

Combat Kelly was the second longest surviving War book when the Implosion happened but Stan decided to keep Battle going. It was the correct choice. The format of the two books was similar, a mix of war features across historical times but the limitation of Combat Kelly is that a lot of the stories revolved around this buddy comedy shtick between Combat and Cookie. It was easier to unfetter the continuing title from this demand on the --script and keep Battle that only required straight war stories.

The other War titles felled by the Implosion were: Battle Action, War Combat, War Comics, Battlefront, Battleground and Combat Casey. I find that Battle is a better title than War and it had reached a higher issue number anyway.

Great and interesting info as always! (worship)

Just got this from Lizards Mike .... one of my favorite Heath covers .... looks like Nick Fury when he was still a grunt...GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

WAR 19.jpg

6 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Just got this from Lizards Mike .... one of my favorite Heath covers .... looks like Nick Fury when he was still a grunt...GOD BLESS....

WAR 19.jpg

Russ could draw them (thumbsu

1 minute ago, comicjack said:

Russ could draw them (thumbsu

I don't know if this has happened to you guys before, but I could almost swear that I owned this exact copy before …. but I'm pretty sure I didn't sell it to Mike. Either way, this is one I wanted back.... GOD BLESS...

27 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I don't know if this has happened to you guys before, but I could almost swear that I owned this exact copy before …. but I'm pretty sure I didn't sell it to Mike. Either way, this is one I wanted back.... GOD BLESS...

It is the circle of life in more than one way even in comics :smile:

Gene Colan is one of the main reasons that I hold Atlas war in such high regard …. not many covers from him though. Here's a recent pick up that I probably won't be able to sell. The cover is attributed to Fred Kida, but I see some Colanesque rendering.... who knows. GOD BLESS....

BATTLE 54.jpg

BATTLE 54i.jpg

I haven't done this in a while.... I'm going to post some Colan pages that I'm borrowing from www.atlastales.com …… it's one of my favorite research and indexing sites anywhere. If you want to spend a cool afternoon and you like Atlas... go to this site, click "creators", and then click whichever one of the thousands listed to see the index of their work for the publisher.... with some nice examples also available. That's where these are going to come from. GOD BLESS....

9669 The Sitting Ducks Page 1