• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,284 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, buttock said:

Lovely.  I recall seeing this flipping through my stuff.  It's so well rendered.  

Totally so. I can see the 1960's Colan incarnation all over this, moreso than a few of the others. Colan was never in my top tier - no room what with Kirby, Steranko, Smith, Buscema, Romita, etc. - but after purchasing a couple decent stacks of Colan's Daredevil here on the boards, I am all-in again with my appreciation of him as an avant-garde artist. That Marvel Bullpen of the late 60's cannot and will not ever be surpassed.  (worship)

Edited by PopKulture

A couple more post codes. These books always give me mixed feelings; on one hand it’s sad that the stories and art suffered under the constraints of the CCA. On the other hand, the type of stories (mostly centering around wonderment, self-worth and wisdom) are the ones that enchanted me as a kid reading them as reprints during the Bronze Age and led me to seek them out as a collector.

Astonishing%20%2048_zpsqqrazopw.jpg

Spellbound%20%2026_zpsi4epjcqs.jpg

On 1/20/2019 at 11:27 AM, jimjum12 said:

Gene Colan is one of the main reasons that I hold Atlas war in such high regard …. not many covers from him though. Here's a recent pick up that I probably won't be able to sell. The cover is attributed to Fred Kida, but I see some Colanesque rendering.... who knows. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

BATTLE 54.jpg

BATTLE 54i.jpg

Awesome cover, jimbo.  👍

…..Don't get me started on Dave Berg. He went on to an illustrious career with Mad magazine, but his work for Atlas in the early 50's was quite something.  It became a little watered down at the end of his stint.... his workload had grown a bit.... but the early stuff …… :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

BATTLE ACTION 4i.jpg