• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,284 posts in this topic

Next up is a cover I liked right away when I saw it posted up here on the boards. It was mentioned that some (if not all) the people in the cover were Atlas staff members. Not sure about that but I love the detail on this one. Everett's sig is a bit odd on this one, very thin and not his usual flamboyant style.

Mystical%20Tales%20%207_zps0smu6kns.jpg

Added textures and intricate detail are among the noticeable changes in these post code Atlas’. Love the details on the city, man’s suit and woman’s dress even more than the mud monster! Oh, and if you can’t “be on hand” when the mud walks, it’s a Golem story...:gossip:

Uncanny%20Tales%20%2053_zpsfvpippuv.jpg

10 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

Those are some sweet books. I missed out on Richard's sale, could have used a few to fill in some holes in my collection.

Well, I decided to have these two slabbed. They both have a somewhat interesting providence from my collecting stand point. They were picked up early in my "new start" collecting period. I had collected books as a kid up until 1964. After a stint in the military and shortly after I married, I picked up the collecting bug again in the late 70's. I would drive up to Baltimore to Steve Geppi's comic store on occasion. This one trip he showed me the JIM 1 that he had just picked up in a collection. I could not get the money out of my pocket fast enough. A tremendous sum of $90.00. The TTA 1 I acquired at a well known book shop in Wheaton Maryland known as the Barbarian book shop again in the late 70's. It was almost an hour drive for me, but on this one occasion it was worth the trip. looking through the owners box of GA books I came across not one, not two, but 4 copies of TTA1!!! They were all nice copies. The owner indicated they came from left over stock from a then defunct book shop. I carefully examined each and picked out the best copy (needless I should have bought them all). But, $35.00 bucks back then was a chunk of change. I was expecting a 7.5 or hopefully an 8.0 for the TTA. Both have great nostalgic value for me.

1424721216_JIM1.thumb.jpg.246dabf85fe33690debe5c1738900d98.jpg

906845218_TTA1.thumb.jpg.a01f29a18a2872aca298df5b762f0a65.jpg

Those two are great, and the stories to go with them are priceless.

18 hours ago, Jayman said:

Added textures and intricate detail are among the noticeable changes in these post code Atlas’. Love the details on the city, man’s suit and woman’s dress even more than the mud monster! Oh, and if you can’t “be on hand” when the mud walks, it’s a Golem story...:gossip:

that is some really intricate detail on this cover. thanks for posting this.

Last one coulda, shoulda been a PCH cover. The colors and composition on this one are spot on. A truly scary cover for post code territory! 

Mystery%20Tales%20%2049_zpsfjwr3poy.jpg

I really like this one. The blending of the blues and greens is striking. The macabre figure emerging from the water definitely gives it a very creepy feel. Everett was such a master.

Do you think our cover couple were copied, or maybe inspired by a photograph? There's something uncommonly realistic about them. 

1 minute ago, RICK STARR said:

I really like this one. The blending of the blues and greens is striking. The macabre figure emerging from the water definitely gives it a very creepy feel. Everett was such a master.

plus the back ground of the buildings and the moon tie the whole thing in. really a lot going on with this cover.

Notice the theme resemblance between the PCH and post code issues.  Also that the figures in the post code were more "cartoony" and stick like, and no word balloons.  Come to think of it, I don't recall word balloons on the covers of any Atlas suspense titles at least early on in post code.  Pre code, they were almost always prevalent.

Uncanny Tales 4.jpg

Mystic 50.jpg