• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,274 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, buttock said:

That looks like Everett drew only the Venus figure.  The remainder looks nothing like him.  Maybe Brodsky?

I used to have the Okajima copy of this issue. Everett pencils & inks on Venus with Brodsky responsible for everything else.

6 hours ago, adamstrange said:
10 hours ago, buttock said:
11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

A nice new addition to the Everett collection. 

E1B92E36-3A07-465E-9999-5C4BB9B90F27.jpeg

Funny, I was going to reference this issue in my last post.  Look at the detail in the background.  Just a great example of an artist at his peak.  

The point of the cover involves only the 3 figures in the foreground but he still spent time to draw dozens of individuals climbing the nets, swimming and rowing the lifeboats.  The b&w original art on this would be insanely cool.

I do think though that the smaller details in the background lend much greater power to the "story" of the three in the foreground - places their story in context.   And yes, the background details are immaculately conceived and rendered.  What has always blown me away in this cover is the fact that the facial expressions of the three in the foreground are so varied and so powerful.  An exquisite, poignant war cover.

Edited by MusterMark

23 minutes ago, fifties said:

Cross posting from the recent precode purchases thread, came in yesterday.  Bill Everett end of Earth cover, + a story illustrated by him.  Good read for a post coder, no happy endings.

Marvel Tales 153.jpg

Love this cover! Took me a bit to find his sig. (thumbsu