• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invaluable is selling fake art

60 posts in this topic

ten dollars isnt the sale price it's an opening bid. it's an auction site. 

I dont know enough about Bob Kane art to tell by looking at it. but if you were just going by what they were "selling for" that head sketch merely has an opening bid of ten bucks and a estimated value of 1-2k 

those Ditko spidey drawings do look suspect to me... is he flipping the bird? 742174342_Ditkospidey.thumb.jpg.9658567f6c022abe0f03b5eee8c4ecb1.jpg

I mean, sometimes artists do quick sketches. Or try something different. Or have bad days, and produce a piece that's not really representative of their greater body of work or their level of talent. It's a big step to directly claim that a house is auctioning fraudulent or counterfeit material, absent actual evidence to that effect.

I won't go that far from just looking at pictures on the screen. But... what I am saying is that I sure wouldn't want that "Ditko Spiderman" (because it's hideous) and I wouldn't suggest anyone else touch it unless it comes with solidly documented provenance. 

ok i thought that I was sharing the worse of the two "Steve Ditko Spider Man doodles" from the auction... I was wrong :$

this one is much worse! (worship)

At least somebody tried to sign the first one as Steve... this is Sam *garbled reading last name <cough>* Sam Retco? :golfclap:

...if anyone is looking for Ditko Spidey drawings this good... i can totally draw a spiderman this good. 1,500 :acclaim:

the other steve ditko.jpg

1 minute ago, Qalyar said:

I mean, sometimes artists do quick sketches. Or try something different. Or have bad days, and produce a piece that's not really representative of their greater body of work or their level of talent. It's a big step to directly claim that a house is auctioning fraudulent or counterfeit material, absent actual evidence to that effect.

I won't go that far from just looking at pictures on the screen. But... what I am saying is that I sure wouldn't want that "Ditko Spiderman" (because it's hideous) and I wouldn't suggest anyone else touch it unless it comes with solidly documented provenance. 

correct, the burden of proof should lie on the seller in this case... i will say that in general Steve Ditko was known to refuse doing doodles, and he would especially refuse doodles of anything related to his time at Marvel... so the BURDEN should be pretty BIG. 

1 hour ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

ok i thought that I was sharing the worse of the two "Steve Ditko Spider Man doodles" from the auction... I was wrong :$

At least somebody tried to sign the first one as Steve... this is Sam *garbled reading last name <cough>* Sam Retco? :golfclap:

...if anyone is looking for Ditko Spidey drawings this good... i can totally draw a spiderman this good. 1,500 :acclaim:

Yikes.

Okay, ignore what I said previously. This is the southbound product of a north-facing yak. If this is authentic, I'll eat my hat.

48 minutes ago, joefixit2 said:

there is even a "Ditko" signed by stan lee  https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/spiderman-hand-drawn-signed-sketch-2d241c789b

I've never heard of the site, do they usually sell a lot of OA?

It's a site that smaller auction houses can use as a bidding platform. So, it's not an auction house per say, but it's a service. I think Profiles uses them if i'm not mistaken.

10 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

The drawing above is FAR more accomplished than the drawing below. It's not even a contest.
Of course NEITHER is Ditko, and that's not what I'm getting at. But IMO, anyone that can't tell the difference in actual drawing accomplishment... might want to take up woodworking or maybe model trains?  :grin:

I realize the comments are probably hyperbole and said in jest, but just in case.
If someone told me the top drawing was by someone like say, Paul Grist, I'd believe it's possible. It certainly has style.
I do kinda wish the bottom one was flipping the bird. It' would be improved immeasurably, as a form of Meme engine. I know I'd use it all the time.

Now back to your regularly scheduled head shaking at "Invaluable".

18 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

742174342_Ditkospidey.thumb.jpg.9658567f6c022abe0f03b5eee8c4ecb1.jpg

As noted above, Invaluable is a platform used by hundreds of auction houses that don’t have their own online bidding capabilities.

In this instance the auction house, if you can call them that, is Relic Vintage Inc in Swansea MA. Here’s the link to the entire auction catalogue:

https://www.invaluable.com/catalog/t7p6f3vazr

i couldn’t find a website for Relic Vintage but google shows they have an EBay store  And here’s some other info:

About

Categorized under Thrift Shops. Our records show it was established in 2015 and incorporated in MA. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 112725 and employs a staff of approximately 2.

Contact

Relic Vintage, Inc

566 Wilbur Avenue # 3

Swansea, MA 02777

(774) 294-5818

Here’s a pic of their “staff of 2” as noted above. This is from the Relic Vintage Facebook page.

81845286_102099647992004_884541147024300

Edited by drewincanada
Added more info

12 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

Is it possible the seller made an honest mistake in this case? The signature looks like it is by someone named “Sam” something. Perhaps the seller, who I gather runs a thrift store, just jumped to a mistaken conclusion? The Fat Spider-Man, however, is ridiculous.