• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invaluable is selling fake art

60 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

ten dollars isnt the sale price it's an opening bid. it's an auction site. 

I dont know enough about Bob Kane art to tell by looking at it. but if you were just going by what they were "selling for" that head sketch merely has an opening bid of ten bucks and a estimated value of 1-2k 

those Ditko spidey drawings do look suspect to me... is he flipping the bird? 742174342_Ditkospidey.thumb.jpg.9658567f6c022abe0f03b5eee8c4ecb1.jpg

He is...at whoever is dumb enough to bid on this. I know most will insist that’s his thumb peeking over his fist. No. It’s a salute to idiocy.

14 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

Naw bro Steve D. Itko totally drew that. :roflmao: 

Mr. Itko is one of the greats and this is a rare chance to add a S. D. ITKO to your collection.

14 hours ago, Qalyar said:

I mean, sometimes artists do quick sketches. Or try something different. Or have bad days, and produce a piece that's not really representative of their greater body of work or their level of talent. It's a big step to directly claim that a house is auctioning fraudulent or counterfeit material, absent actual evidence to that effect.

I won't go that far from just looking at pictures on the screen. But... what I am saying is that I sure wouldn't want that "Ditko Spiderman" (because it's hideous) and I wouldn't suggest anyone else touch it unless it comes with solidly documented provenance. 

The evidence is the actual work. This is 100% a fake. It is ok to question everything in these fraudulent auctions.

Quick sketches speak to quality detail of a work. The artist maybe not at his or her most focused. And then their is outright fakery which you have throughout this auction. It takes some time collecting but you most certainly can detect and out a fake.

14 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

ok i thought that I was sharing the worse of the two "Steve Ditko Spider Man doodles" from the auction... I was wrong :$

this one is much worse! (worship)

At least somebody tried to sign the first one as Steve... this is Sam *garbled reading last name <cough>* Sam Retco? :golfclap:

...if anyone is looking for Ditko Spidey drawings this good... i can totally draw a spiderman this good. 1,500 :acclaim:

the other steve ditko.jpg

First to post :takeit:gets it?

There's actually even more funny business going on here than just these two crappy fake Ditkos. Take a look at this one. Already posted in this thread? NOPE! There's a spot on Spidey's back that's white here, but black in the current auction... and a different, but equally fake, Ditko signature.

This one isn't up for auction right now. It sold in a different auction last year (seemingly unrelated to this one, but I'm not sure I'd trust that either).

H21714-L190685953.jpg

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Is it possible the seller made an honest mistake in this case? The signature looks like it is by someone named “Sam” something. Perhaps the seller, who I gather runs a thrift store, just jumped to a mistaken conclusion? The Fat Spider-Man, however, is ridiculous.

that seller has art auction after art auction, and a whole line up of piccassos, basquiats, etc etc in this current one, and in another upcoming... i dont know how you have that much art coming through, and not have some eye for spotting a fake. 

it appears to me at least... if we assume best intent... that the seller doesnt particularly care and is willing to live the mantra "let the buyer beware" 

if that qualifies as an "honest mistake" then sure, but representing yourself as a high dollar collectable dealer (which they certainly are if you look at all of the auctions that they have had in the past 12 months, and will have in the next)... i just expect more. For instance you wouldn't expect Mike Burkey to make that mistake, and certainly not on 3 pieces at the same time... 

39 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

There's actually even more funny business going on here than just these two crappy fake Ditkos. Take a look at this one. Already posted in this thread? NOPE! There's a spot on Spidey's back that's white here, but black in the current auction... and a different, but equally fake, Ditko signature.

This one isn't up for auction right now. It sold in a different auction last year (seemingly unrelated to this one, but I'm not sure I'd trust that either).

H21714-L190685953.jpg

oh wow! now that is interesting! 

5 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Holy . Here's another copy, signed by Wilford Brimley. Will this madness never end?

414396929.jpg

Those Wilford Brimley issues of ASM were some of the best in the run.  This might be one of those recreations for Sotheby's.  It was a toss up whether Mike's shop was going to be brimleyman.com or not. 

(if you need an emoji here to know whether i'm joking, it might be time to take a walk outside and pet a dog.)

45 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Holy . Here's another copy, signed by Wilford Brimley. Will this madness never end?

414396929.jpg

What's the purpose of having Wilfred Brimley sign this piece of excrement?  Given how awful it is, one would have to question the signature too...

Edited by pemart1966

Getting away from this turd for a moment, I was thinking about the number of non-comic book drawings of Spider-Man that Ditko might have done.  I know that he did a drawing (or two) for an early NYC comic convention but apart from that I don't know that I've seen any others.

Has anyone seen anything beyond the convention booklet?

Edited by pemart1966

5 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Has anyone clicked on the "Request More Information" button  :roflmao:

Yes. 

I first contacted them via their Facebook page. Jen Perry who run it sent me a reply to say that her husband is running the auction on Invaluable and to contact him there because he doesn’t do Facebook. 

So I sent him a message via Invaluable and asked for more info about where he got the Ditko drawings. 

Paul Perry replied with the standard line: “consigned by collector, no COA, no guarantees”.

I replied and let him know that the consensus among Ditko experts is that these are definitely fake, etc. 

He hasn’t responded. 

6 minutes ago, drewincanada said:

Yes. 

I first contacted them via their Facebook page. Jen Perry who run it sent me a reply to say that her husband is running the auction on Invaluable and to contact him there because he doesn’t do Facebook. 

So I sent him a message via Invaluable and asked for more info about where he got the Ditko drawings. 

Paul Perry replied with the standard line: “consigned by collector, no COA, no guarantees”.

I replied and let him know that the consensus among Ditko experts is that these are definitely fake, etc. 

He hasn’t responded. 

You would think that anyone representing themselves as an auction house that boasts themselves as "The world's premier auctions and galleries" should have some idea of what they're accepting. 

5 minutes ago, drewincanada said:

Yes. 

He hasn’t responded. 

I'm not sure how much hope I'd have. Has anyone else read their auction participation terms -- and I'd like to make clear that this means "Relic Vintage" specifically, not all of Invaluable? That's some of the skeeviest fine print I have ever read. Relic Vintage offers absolutely no guarantees of any sort about the material they're auctioning, including no guarantee that they have legitimate title to sell it in the first place. But still no returns for any reason. They require the bidder agree that "the dispute resolution specified in the foregoing paragraph as the bidder's sole means to resolve any and all disputes" -- that preceding paragraph, for the record, stating that there is no dispute resolution at all. And they demand that you don't complain if they screw you: "the bidder specifically agrees that they will not file a dispute or chargeback of any kind with an online venue, a credit card merchant, or any other third-parties". Finally, since they went out of the way to point out that they don't ensure they have legal title to the stuff they sell, they require their buyer "waives and releases Relic Vintage Inc. from any and all claims, of whatever nature based on alleged defect(s) in legal title".

This is bad enough boilerplate that I'm not sure it's even legally enforceable, although clearly that's not an argument anyone should get into on an internet chat forum. But yikes. No one should do business with people like this.

5 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

They require the bidder agree that "the dispute resolution specified in the foregoing paragraph as the bidder's sole means to resolve any and all disputes" -- that preceding paragraph, for the record, stating that there is no dispute resolution at all. And they demand that you don't complain if they screw you: "the bidder specifically agrees that they will not file a dispute or chargeback of any kind with an online venue, a credit card merchant, or any other third-parties". Finally, since they went out of the way to point out that they don't ensure they have legal title to the stuff they sell, they require their buyer "waives and releases Relic Vintage Inc. from any and all claims, of whatever nature based on alleged defect(s) in legal title".

:tonofbricks: