• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Book In Every Grade
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Is there an issue of a comic that exists CGC graded in every grade? I am sure a book that gets submitted a TON like ASM #300 is.

Better question...is there someone out there who has made it a point to collect a graded version of a single issue of a comic but in every possible grade? Like owning a CGC 0.5 all the way to a 9.8 of a specific issue? Seems like a unique challenge and I wondered if anyone out there had attempted it or knew of someone who had. 

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

0.5 - 9.8 would be a cop out.  Go out and get you those 9.9 and 10.0 copies!

I feel like there may not be a book that exists in all grades including those two is all. I just figured with the amount of unique collectors in this hobby, someone would have taken a stab at this. I know guys who have multiple copies in the same grade but in every grade!?!? Surely it exists. 

There's probably a ton of them.  Two quick census searches:

X-Men 94 (only missing the 9.9 and 10.0) -> https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=X-Men&issue=94&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=1975&issuedate=8/75

Hulk 181 (only missing the 10.0) -> https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Incredible+Hulk&issue=181&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=1974&issuedate=11/74

If you search for any big name book, chances are good you'll hit paydirt (I only did these 2 - but I'm sure there are dozens of other popular titles who fit the criteria.

1 hour ago, roach04 said:

There's probably a ton of them.  Two quick census searches:

X-Men 94 (only missing the 9.9 and 10.0) -> https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=X-Men&issue=94&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=1975&issuedate=8/75

Hulk 181 (only missing the 10.0) -> https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Incredible+Hulk&issue=181&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=1974&issuedate=11/74

If you search for any big name book, chances are good you'll hit paydirt (I only did these 2 - but I'm sure there are dozens of other popular titles who fit the criteria.

Find anything that exists in 9.9 and 10.0 and if the rest don’t exist you could make them exist 

I've run the numbers, New Mutants #98 and Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8 are both in the CGC census populated with CGC 10, 9.9, 9.8, etc., and only have two very low grades with zero.  The next closest books are Wolverine Limited Series #1 and Web of Spider-man #1, with CGC 10, 9.9, 9.8, etc., with three very low grades with zero.

I am intrigued to someday see a CGC 10 of an issue next to a CGC 9.8 of the same issue. In person. Maybe someday. Like could I tell the difference? If not I can't imagine paying for such a difference other than the novelty of owning a 10.0 which to me, excited me for about 0.2 seconds. 

I suppose one could try to get a copy in every grade -- but with the numerous condition combinations involved and the resulting grades, it might be very difficult to have examples of all of them. I think that is sort of the point of having all grades -- to sort of show a spectrum where books should be expected to land grade wise. We've had this conversation about the overall cumulative effect that impacts a CGC grade -- where certain condition issues are over written by bigger issues. It is not a simple equation where each problem impacts the grade specifically, and it gets more generally described as the grades approach lower ranges. 

Edited by 01TheDude

If someone were so inclined, does the OCD stop there? Perhaps a qualified different restoration levels, or worse yet different signature series 

I'm inclined that all the grades makes sense if a book like ASM #300 in cgc 10 was attainable now but over the years went up in price, and then you just bought the grade in your sweet spot price range knowing it would go up. It could be a selling angle or niche.

Wish it was a thought for IH 181 and attainable in all grades, and I had jumped back in 10 years ago ha!

rantrantlol