• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Promoters - do the right thing ... cancel the con!
3 3

178 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I think the numbers for the virus as a whole are still in the early stages. You aren't seeing as many young kids because most people don't put their young kids near severely sick people. 

That being said, today Ontario (Canada) confirmed its first case of an infant (less than 1) with the virus. Again, only one in North America to my knowledge but it proves they can get it and I pray to whatever ruling power that he makes a full recovery.

I agree there should be precautions and maybe cancellations, but this magical 4 week and it all go away has me mystified  lol

No one knows, and to think isolating the world making them vulnerable for any longer seems ludicrous at the moment, my view may change (thumbsu

I just know what I've read and it said virtually immune, that doesn't mean they dont catch it it means they dont die...

I get sick every once in a while, that's normal, I believe if I'm able I should enjoy the freedom provided me....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

24 minutes ago, TerrysComics said:

I hate to tell you this, but I am old - 61

I didn't say not to do anything, I just don't want to ruin the United States Economy out of panic.

I don't think that will happen. Short term, oh heck yeah you will see stocks and a tremendous loss. I don't see this lasting more than a month provided the US and other nations take the necessary precautions. The economy will bounce back as we hit warmer months everywhere and the virus loses its momentum. Hopefully before its next cycle or season, we have a vaccine for it.

If people are being told for the next month to avoid fun and public things, you can bet once this passes, they will head back out in full force to get their fills of the world. The economy will rebound. 

also, mild in this case is none too mild

Cases were considered mild if they did not involve pneumonia, defined as infection of the lungs, or involved only mild pneumonia, the authors wrote in the study, which is among the largest to date of the new coronavirus.

There were two other categories of cases, severe and critical. Severe cases featured shortness of breath, low blood oxygen saturation or other lung problems. Critical cases featured respiratory failure, septic shock or multiple organ dysfunction.

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree there should be precautions and maybe cancellations, but this magical 4 week and it all go away has me mystified  lol

No one knows, and to think isolating the world making them vulnerable for any longer seems ludicrous at the moment, my view may change (thumbsu

I just know what I've read and it said virtually immune, that doesn't mean they dont catch it it means they dont die...

I get sick every once in a while, that's normal, I believe if I'm able I should enjoy the freedom provided me....

Yeah suppose kids are virtually immune. Suppose you are too, or have a minimal chance of anything more than falling ill. Do you really wanna potentially spread it and lead to the death of another loved one or child? If you can live with that, you are a stronger human than I.

And hey, maybe me believing 4 weeks or whatever is silly. Maybe this gets more serious, in which case, I am glad we started the precautions we did. I would hate too look back a month from now and have doctors, disease spreading analysts and whomever say "if only we were harsher, we could have saved millions of lives". We are shutting down fast and I am okay with it. 

Edited by comicginger1789

Just now, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah suppose kids are virtually immune. Suppose you are too, or have a minimal chance of anything more than falling ill. Do you really wanna potentially spread it and lead to the death of another loved one or child? If you can live with that, you are a stronger human than I.

I don't  and who said I did? Not me, I'm saying the panic and fear needs curbing

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The 4 weeks is just a starting point, as in let's see where we're at with further study and understanding of this virus, etc.  I never implied that it would go away after 4 weeks and we'd be done with it.

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The 4 weeks is just a starting point, as in let's see where we're at with further study and understanding of this virus, etc.  I never implied that it would go away after 4 weeks and we'd be done with it.

Ok cool just checking.

It seems there is no end insight and I'm ancy as the next person.... let's see if cgc pulls out of Toronto and fan expo Dallas...

I hope the isolation works, but there are hazards there too worth mentioning hazards 

No worries

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't  and who said I did? Not me, I'm saying the panic and fear needs curbing

I don't think cancelling stuff is panic. I don't think closing stuff is panic. I think it is an appropriate response.

Panic is buying up more supplies than needed. Or stockpiling for months on end. Panic is shutting yourself off in a bunker. No, people should still be allowed outside, to visit each other if healthy, to do stuff. Just not en masse stuff until the rates are under control. Travelling outside your city should be limited, visiting large venues within your city should also be limited. People with symptoms should stay home to be safe. Precautions and logic, no panic or fear in that.

Just now, comicginger1789 said:

I don't think cancelling stuff is panic. I don't think closing stuff is panic. I think it is an appropriate response.

Panic is buying up more supplies than needed. Or stockpiling for months on end. Panic is shutting yourself off in a bunker. No, people should still be allowed outside, to visit each other if healthy, to do stuff. Just not en masse stuff until the rates are under control. Travelling outside your city should be limited, visiting large venues within your city should also be limited. People with symptoms should stay home to be safe. Precautions and logic, no panic or fear in that.

I agree. And those are the hazards and curbing I'm responding to.

The cancel every con within 4 weeks, I mean who made the expert, that's what they're doing anyway, so sorry it all just seemed like fear mongering, when there are checks and balances in place and not every region meets the same demands

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The if I step outside and infect someone that I should feel responsible, when I'm taking just as many precautions as the next person has to stop

No you shouldn't feel responsible, my point was if you blatantly ignore the concern (a la a certain basketball player who ironically now has the virus and has infected teammates), well then I feel you should shoulder some blame. But heck no, if someone is just going about their life and gets it well how would you know? But if I am sick, I am not spreading it on people or if I am known to have been around someone who had COVID, I am not ignoring the suggestions to self quarantine. 

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ok cool just checking.

It seems there is no end insight and I'm ancy as the next person.... let's see if cgc pulls out of Toronto and fan expo Dallas...

I hope the isolation works, but there are hazards there too worth mentioning hazards 

No worries

I live in the GTA and I'm not setting foot anywhere near the convention.  Last thing I want to happen is a similar situation to Italy, where the entire country is under lockdown.  If the cost of avoiding a lockdown is cancelling some stupid comic convention to prevent more death and misery than necessary from occurring, then its a SMALL price to pay.

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

No you shouldn't feel responsible, my point was if you blatantly ignore the concern (a la a certain basketball player who ironically now has the virus and has infected teammates), well then I feel you should shoulder some blame. But heck no, if someone is just going about their life and gets it well how would you know? But if I am sick, I am not spreading it on people or if I am known to have been around someone who had COVID, I am not ignoring the suggestions to self quarantine. 

I agree with everything your saying. I'm not trying to dodge responsibility, like you I want to the right thing, but I'm not sick, is why I'm asking questions, I don't want to do it out of fear :shy:

4 minutes ago, wombat said:

It doesn't matter if promoters want to cancel or not. States are making the choice for them. 

Just now, jjonahjameson11 said:

I live in the GTA and I'm not setting foot anywhere near the convention.  Last thing I want to happen is a similar situation to Italy, where the entire country is under lockdown.  If the cost of avoiding a lockdown is cancelling some stupid comic convention to prevent more death and misery than necessary from occurring, then its a SMALL price to pay.

This is what I'm saying, this is not Italy, I'm not sick, con's in my area are not being cancelled and I'm asking questions. Believe it or not I'm inquiring on what are my options. Telling me I'll kill innocents is not effective way of telling someone to inform them. But I'll take what I can get at this point. I'm not trying to change your mind on the situation. You've given me instances where children are sick but not dying, which happens every day. I'll take this into consideration, but given my gut reaction I hope the choice is made for me and the shows are cancelled. I don't judge you don't want to preach. I'll swallow my pride and do the best I can.

Thank you for listening and giving feedback