• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Promoters - do the right thing ... cancel the con!
3 3

178 posts in this topic

Some NY hospitals completely out of PPE such as gowns, masks and forced to wear trash bags as emergency replacements https://www.businessinsider.com/kious-kelly-hospital-nurse-dies-trash-bags-2020-3

"NO MORE GOWNS IN THE WHOLE HOSPITAL," they wrote on Facebook. "NO MORE MASKS AND REUSING THE DISPOSABLE ONES … NURSES FIGURING IT OUT DURING COVID-19 CRISIS." One nurse is seen holding a box of Hefty "Strong" 33-gallon bags, more commonly used for lining household trash cans.

Worse case can be found in italy, spain, triage doctors have been forced to let people over age 65 die in order to give ventilators to younger people with better survival rateshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXBkjOXiMvw and where in spain, entire senior care facilities abandoned of staff, and senior residents left, with many found dead in their beds https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/24/820711855/spanish-military-finds-dead-bodies-and-seniors-completely-abandoned-in-care-home

The disturbing disconnect is we have half the population who thinks virus will fade away, like magic, with the warm weather. 

"The disturbing disconnect is we have half the population
who thinks virus will fade away, like magic, with the warm weather.  "

You're not kidding.

There is no "SNAP" that is going to return things to the old normal 

We as a nation , who have mostly lived in opulence and prosperity unprecedented in human history,  have a tendency 

To look at horrific events in foreign countries as not being possible in the USA . Covid  being no exception 

As late as Feb. Most of the USA including a large portion of the Media, Looked at was what was going on in China as some

Weird foreign event that was distant and no threat. Myself being no exception , and I'm a historian. Some ominous portents 

are numerous states and cities informing their police departments no longer to persue "Non violent" crimes such as

Burglery and car theft, while at the same time releasing thousand of criminals "for safety"

https://www.policeone.com/coronavirus-covid-19/articles/health-and-safety-police-shift-priorities-as-covid-19-crisis-grows-RMxUSeInSF7h7vzc/

My wife is a nurse , here are 2 very disturbing things she has told me 

1) They are not testing nurses until and unless they exhibit visible symptoms 

2) They are discharging patients who still exhibit symptoms to make room for more serious cases 

These people are being sent home, (sometimes with oxygen) and told to isolate shelter in place 

Here is some advice , based on Multiple sources :

https://www.newswars.com/coronavirus-patients-being-treated-with-vitamin-c-at-new-york-hospitals/

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/the-health-hub/vitamins-and-supplements/minerals/zinc/can-zinc-improve-your-immune-system/

Increase your intake Of zinc and Vitamin C , Preferably through whole foods, or by supplements 

Do not go out without a mask , or a bandana, and  disposable rubber gloves (easily available on ebay )

If you believe you have been near a compromised person, when you get home , immediately shower and 

put all the clothing you were wearing into a separate plastic bag. 

previously some VERY bad advice was given , saying Masks do nothing 

NOT TRUE   it won't be long before business forbid patrons without facial covering (wait and see) 

Edited by Golden Memories

I agree that we will have to take precautions we never had to do before but

"All business is essential to the Economy! We fly, buy meals, pay parking, stay at hotels and watch entertainment.

We tip our Waiters and Waitresses, they also do that that is what will ruin our economy and cause our way of enjoying

life to change in a direction none of us will like, no matter what our politics are.

as with every other crisis through out history , we will learn to live with it, if it stays or goes.

I am optimistic that America will save the World once again!

Edited by TerrysComics
add

Good News:

We can recover from this Virus!

On Saturday, Hanks, 63, said on Twitter that he and Wilson would continue to quarantine.

“Hey, Folks… We’re home now and, like the rest of America, we carry on with sheltering in place and social distancing,” the actor wrote.

“Many, many thanks to everyone in Australia who looked after us,” he added. “Their care and guidance made possible our return to the USA. And many thanks to all of you who reached out with well wishes. Rita and I so appreciate it. Hanx.”

On 3/26/2020 at 6:51 AM, Golden Memories said:

You are 100% correct, at first I thought this would blow over in a few months and we would be back to normal, However I now realise the country has changed , even the thought of a giant convention hall packed with 10s of 1000s of  people and multiple  movie stars  seems like some weird dream 

The transmission rate on this thing is unbelievable, back when they were tracking one person in Rochester infected over 50 people, just by going to a Synagogue. And its no longer just an "old mans virus" 40 percent of  people in NY hospitals are below 50 

I can see returning to full  normal will be at least a year at best. This is not to say conventions are over. I can see local , smaller shows going on , and even some larger, non celeberity centered events in lesser affected states (charlotte) going forward . But , SDCC? with 100,000 attendees and a massive throng of Movie and TV people ? Not happening , at least not this year. Thats even assuming they can move out 1000+ homeless and reset and sanitize the center within 4 months 

Even though it is likely prohibitions will be begin to lift fairly soon, Its unlikely events of 500 or more will be permitted before fall or winter , especially in NY and CA. and when they are, they will no doubt they will be "Celeberity free" As I cannot picture any A-lister at this point putting themselves into an enclosed arena with a large crowd.  

Things will also be changing for dealers such as myself , I will hold that thought for another thread 

Actually, that was in New Rochelle NY which is right outside the City, it was a Bar Mitzvah, he was hugging and kissing people, and THEN he went to a Synagogue and 2 elementary schools and to work at his law firm in NYC.

Rochester is Upstate at least 6 hours from the City, New Rochelle is 30 minutes from midtown by train.

I used to live a mile from New Rochelle, I have friends around the corner from where he lives.

But besides all that...I was reading this thread...and personally, I wouldn't go near a convention until this is over, meaning we have a safe effective vaccine. I might go get my hair cut again, or go visit friends carefully, but no conventions and maybe not anything like that again, especially when I can shop online for comics. I expect a lot of changes in the future.

I'm not sure I'll be running to a movie theater for a while either.

So for those of  you who live for conventions, maybe expect some changes...it's unfortunate.

Maybe we can have Zoom conventions?

On 3/25/2020 at 8:43 PM, TerrysComics said:

the vast majority ( greater than 99% as of the last report I heard) in the U.S. have mild symptoms, others have problems but finally recover with minor treatment.

the less than 1 percent that die from it might be of a great concern but we as a society can take precautions to protect them.

Once we start to see a decline in the new cases reported and the death rate we will be able to get somewhat to normal.

it is something we are eventually going to have to live with, like it or not.

Well your government is going to try and contain with the goal being 100,000 deaths.  If only one percent are going to die according to your numbers that means 10,000,000 million cases total.  You are only at 175,000 cases right now, so I don't think a summer convention season is looking promising.

BTW what gets lost in all of this is that across the world if you get it, 81 percent are surviving and 19% are dying.  That's with enough ventilators and care workers when this is still manageable, it's getting out of hand quickly so stop skewing the numbers to make your point or argument and wise the hell up, the world will never EVER be the same again and this is going to be a bloody catastrophe when this is all send and done.  There is no one for America to save, they have to save themselves or we are all doomed.

22 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Well your government is going to try and contain with the goal being 100,000 deaths.  If only one percent are going to die according to your numbers that means 10,000,000 million cases total.  You are only at 175,000 cases right now, so I don't think a summer convention season is looking promising.

BTW what gets lost in all of this is that across the world if you get it, 81 percent are surviving and 19% are dying.  That's with enough ventilators and care workers when this is still manageable, it's getting out of hand quickly so stop skewing the numbers to make your point or argument and wise the hell up, the world will never EVER be the same again and this is going to be a bloody catastrophe when this is all send and done.  There is no one for America to save, they have to save themselves or we are all doomed.

As long as everyone has a stockpile of toilet paper, we're all safe :)  

NY Comic Art  Expo has been cancelled.

From Zaddick:

Just like every gathering in New York City and many other places, the 3rd annual NYC Comic Art Expo scheduled for May 2nd has been canceled. 

Please stay safe and the NYC Comic Art Expo will be back.  

Zaddick and Terry

Any questions please contact directly:

senbach@hotmail.com

On 3/25/2020 at 10:09 AM, TerrysComics said:

Seem there will be an abundance of shows all summer long into the fall. 

As dealers we will mostly be sticking to the regularly scheduled shows.

plans are usually made 6 months to a year in advance.

So if you go to Convention for Comics, the original ones are your best bet.

Of course none of this will matter if the panic lasts until the Summer.

from May until August right after San Diego Comic Con and Torpedo Comic Show in July.

postponed the date of Comic Con Revolution to August 8 & 9, 2020.

Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention Announces Rescheduled 2020 Dates of September 11 - 13, 2020

SoCal will be awash in Comic shows.

catch-the-wave.jpg 

UPDATE: Big Apple Comic Con Postponed
Big Apple Comic Con, which was planned for early April 2020, has been postponed. The convention is monitoring...

UPDATE: ClexaCon Postponed
ClexaCon, which is held in Las Vegas, has been postponed until late summer 2020. The con is working on establishing...

UPDATE: Florida Supercon Postponed
Florida Supercon, which is held in Miami, has moved their show from May to July 3-5, 2020. Ticketholders who cannot attend...

UPDATE: Indiana Comic Convention Postponed
Indiana Comic Convention, which is held in Indianapolis, has been postponed. At present, the convention has not announced...

UPDATE: MegaCon Postponed
MegaCon has been postponed, based on the recommendations of the CDC and the Florida Department of Health...

UPDATE: Steel City Con Postponed
Steel City Con in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, has been postponed until June 12-14, 2020. Tickets purchased for the original dates..

postponed as well: April 25: Little Giant Comics Old School Comic Show
Little Giant Comics is kicking it old school with a comic book show focused on comics, comic book art, and artist. The Old School Comic Show is taking...

From a person who has spent the last 2 weeks+  quarantined at home along with my wife after contracting covid19 as a health care professional I find it extremely distasteful that dealers would still be promoting CONs and suggesting that potential attendees send a want list. I probably felt the same way as the majority of most of you about a month ago. until there is a vaccine available why in gods name would you put yourself in a position of potentially  infecting yourself or bringing it back to loved ones for a foolish 8hr day looking at funny books. If you are a major dealer you should have an online presence and should leave it at that for the time being. To suggest to others that somehow this is just something we will have to learn to live with is so f’d up it is beyond irresponsible. At least I know of a dealer I will never patronize even after a vaccine is developed as you are putting profits before safety and you should be ashamed of yourself. Please stay safe comics shows and large gatherings of people will be important down the road but not for the foreseeable future

Edited by anstettoman

3 hours ago, anstettoman said:

From a person who has spent the last 2 weeks+  quarantined at home along with my wife after contracting covid19 as a health care professional I find it extremely distasteful that dealers would still be promoting CONs and suggesting that potential attendees send a want list. I probably felt the same way as the majority of most of you about a month ago. until there is a vaccine available why in gods name would you put yourself in a position of potentially  infecting yourself or bringing it back to loved ones for a foolish 8hr day looking at funny books. If you are a major dealer you should have an online presence and should leave it at that for the time being. To suggest to others that somehow this is just something we will have to learn to live with is so f’d up it is beyond irresponsible. At least I know of a dealer I will never patronize even after a vaccine is developed as you are putting profits before safety and you should be ashamed of yourself. Please stay safe comics shows and large gatherings of people will be important down the road but not for the foreseeable future

Glad you are feeling better, and thank  you for the work that you do.(worship)

I completely disagree with the above post 

I am currently in NY , the heart the current epidemic, and my wife is a registered nurse in Nassau county, right now one of  the hardest hit counties in NY , every day she goes into work knowing that not only is she going to have to fight for the correct protective equipment , but has to worry about passing covid on to me especially as I am in a vulnerable group being over 60 with serious underlying health issues 

I studied the situation carefully and have done everything to protect myself, procedures which I recommend to everyone,

aside from the government guidelines :

1) Build your immune system, eat better, avoid fast food, avoid, preferably  any food you have not prepared yourself 

https://www.eatthis.com/foods-to-eat-when-sick/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=msn-feed

2) When you go out in public wear any covering that masks your nose and mouth, wear surgical disposable gloves 

Easily available on amazon, no shortage 

3) Take vitamin C supplements and Zinc, Right now doctors are treating covid with C and taking Zinc, do your own research

4) AVOID AT ALL COSTS PUBLIC BATHROOMS 

5) WHEN YOU COME IN FROM THE OUTSIDE, LEAVE YOUR SHOES AT THE DOOR AND SHOWER IMMEDIATELY PLACING YOUR CLOTHING IN A PLASTIC BAG AND LEAVING IT IN A COVERED CONTAINER 

6) lET ANY PACKAGES YOU RECIEVE SIT FOR 48 HOURS BEFORE YOU TOUCH THEM UNGLOVED, This includes anything you buy from the supermarket , anything unboxed like fruit should be washed thoroughly , M

Any person  failing to do any of the above, along with the government guidelines I believe is being reckless and irresponsible, but that's their choice

To call a promoter Selfish or irresponsible  for hosting an event is to take away free choice,  Yesterday my friend went to a supermarket in Florida and it was jammed packed, No social distancing and less then 10% of the people wearing masks, should we arrest the market owner ?

Where I live there is a speciality market that I used to go to , last time I went the store was packed and only about half the people were  wearing masks  so I chose to leave and stay away but it was MY CHOICE 

I am a dealer and I plan to set up at any show that is going to be allowed by the state which at this point probably wont be till next  year. I am neither selfish, nor irresponsible, but an adult making a free choice knowing the risk as are the attendees 

Here is what I would recommend to promoters when they are allowed to operate :

Extend the hours to spread out the crowd, Limit the attendance so attendees can keep a safe distance, Do not allow children, do not allow anyone over 70, Hire medical professionals to screen attendees prior to entry ,and if they appear to be visibly sick ban them,   if they appear in distress have them take their temperature if necessary . This is the procedure at airports . Make sure there is convention center employee working full time , just to keep the bathrooms clean . Encourage attendees to report persons in the room who appear visibly sick and have procedures in palace to eject them

To attendees :

If you are going to be in contact with an at risk person stay home, If you are sick, stay home, If you are in at risk group stay home, Wear a mask and gloves at all times, avoid convention center food and bathrooms, If you see someone coughing or sneezing, report them to convention center  or promoters employees 

If you are going to insist on waiting for a Vaccine , that is a year to two years away , and not always effective, 2 years ago the flu vaccine was less then 10% effective, and this year I believe it runs about 30% . Also keeping in mind there are at least 9 different strains of Covid-19 and doubtless there will be more as this thing continues to mutate 

If the state of North Carolina decides  By June that it is sufficiently safe to attend large gatherings I will absolutely be there for Heroes con , with mask and gloves. no doubt with thousands of other people.  Calling anyone selfish or irresponsible so long as the obey federal and state guideline is completely unfair.  And of course anyone who disagrees is also free to boycott me as well 

Thanks, Be safe, And remember , Cashiers, Truck Drivers, and others who keeping our country afloat, are heroes as well , 

Edited by Golden Memories

On 4/6/2020 at 4:30 AM, Golden Memories said:

I completely disagree with the above post 

I am currently in NY , the heart the current epidemic, and my wife is a registered nurse in Nassau county, right now one of  the hardest hit counties in NY , every day she goes into work knowing that not only is she going to have to fight for the correct protective equipment , but has to worry about passing covid on to me especially as I am in a vulnerable group being over 60 with serious underlying health issues 

I studied the situation carefully and have done everything to protect myself, procedures which I recommend to everyone,

aside from the government guidelines :

1) Build your immune system, eat better, avoid fast food, avoid, preferably  any food you have not prepared yourself 

https://www.eatthis.com/foods-to-eat-when-sick/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=msn-feed

2) When you go out in public wear any covering that masks your nose and mouth, wear surgical disposable gloves 

Easily available on amazon, no shortage 

3) Take vitamin C supplements and Zinc, Right now doctors are treating covid with C and taking Zinc, do your own research

4) AVOID AT ALL COSTS PUBLIC BATHROOMS 

5) WHEN YOU COME IN FROM THE OUTSIDE, LEAVE YOUR SHOES AT THE DOOR AND SHOWER IMMEDIATELY PLACING YOUR CLOTHING IN A PLASTIC BAG AND LEAVING IT IN A COVERED CONTAINER 

6) lET ANY PACKAGES YOU RECIEVE SIT FOR 48 HOURS BEFORE YOU TOUCH THEM UNGLOVED, This includes anything you buy from the supermarket , anything unboxed like fruit should be washed thoroughly , M

Any person  failing to do any of the above, along with the government guidelines I believe is being reckless and irresponsible, but that's their choice

To call a promoter Selfish or irresponsible  for hosting an event is to take away free choice,  Yesterday my friend went to a supermarket in Florida and it was jammed packed, No social distancing and less then 10% of the people wearing masks, should we arrest the market owner ?

Where I live there is a speciality market that I used to go to , last time I went the store was packed and only about half the people were  wearing masks  so I chose to leave and stay away but it was MY CHOICE 

I am a dealer and I plan to set up at any show that is going to be allowed by the state which at this point probably wont be till next  year. I am neither selfish, nor irresponsible, but an adult making a free choice knowing the risk as are the attendees 

Here is what I would recommend to promoters when they are allowed to operate :

Extend the hours to spread out the crowd, Limit the attendance so attendees can keep a safe distance, Do not allow children, do not allow anyone over 70, Hire medical professionals to screen attendees prior to entry ,and if they appear to be visibly sick ban them,   if they appear in distress have them take their temperature if necessary . This is the procedure at airports . Make sure there is convention center employee working full time , just to keep the bathrooms clean . Encourage attendees to report persons in the room who appear visibly sick and have procedures in palace to eject them

To attendees :

If you are going to be in contact with an at risk person stay home, If you are sick, stay home, If you are in at risk group stay home, Wear a mask and gloves at all times, avoid convention center food and bathrooms, If you see someone coughing or sneezing, report them to convention center  or promoters employees 

If you are going to insist on waiting for a Vaccine , that is a year to two years away , and not always effective, 2 years ago the flu vaccine was less then 10% effective, and this year I believe it runs about 30% . Also keeping in mind there are at least 9 different strains of Covid-19 and doubtless there will be more as this thing continues to mutate 

If the state of North Carolina decides  By June that it is sufficiently safe to attend large gatherings I will absolutely be there for Heroes con , with mask and gloves. no doubt with thousands of other people.  Calling anyone selfish or irresponsible so long as the obey federal and state guideline is completely unfair.  And of course anyone who disagrees is also free to boycott me as well 

Thanks, Be safe, And remember , Cashiers, Truck Drivers, and others who keeping our country afloat, are heroes as well , 

My advise to attendees.

Don't go.

One person infected without symptoms suddenly sneezes or coughs and 70 people could become affected all at once.

Your advise otherwise is pretty sound, but there is clear evidence the virus can enter the body through the eyes. N-95's are always used in combination with face shield.

Might consider goggles if going to be in a crowd.

Agreed

If you are uncomfortable stay home

Face shields are easily available on ebay for around 12-$15

If and when the conventions return I will be using The shield, mask And gloves 

BUILD YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM 

Eat Foods High in Zinc and  C and take supplements

DO THE RESEARCH ! 

Some states, cities, towns , etc Have forbidden people from going out without at least a mask 

I suspect that will be nationwide soon, And I cannot forsee the return of any mass event where face masks are not mandatory, for 

this year at least . I do hope to see you and the rest of my friends in the near future 

Personally I will not the house without a mask and gloves. 

16 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

My advise to attendees.

Don't go.

One person infected without symptoms suddenly sneezes or coughs and 70 people could become affected all at once.

Your advise otherwise is pretty sound, but there is clear evidence the virus can enter the body through the eyes. N-95's are always used in combination with face shield.

Might consider goggles if going to be in a crowd.

NP couldn't have said it better unless you are able to be screened to determine you have antibodies to covid and are essentially "immune" to the current virus why in gods name would you put yourself into a situation where you run the risk of contracting a deadly disease. I can only imagine that  when things slowly return to the new normal,  Cons, concerts, sporting events will look very different indeed. Dealers should stick to an online presence for the time being until public safety is ensured.  I have collected comics for over 50 years and can see myself NOT attending any "events" including comic shows for the next few years. 

Edited by anstettoman