• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Promoters - do the right thing ... cancel the con!
3 3

178 posts in this topic

Walking around 90+ degree's in Charlotte with gloves mask and face shield, I guess is no different than cosplay I have done lol But I'm not going to a con if that's necessary. 

But I figure its only a matter of time Heroes Con is cancelled/postponed, and then Galaxy Con for North Carolina. 

Edited by StingerMcK

On 4/11/2020 at 8:45 AM, StingerMcK said:

Walking around 90+ degree's in Charlotte with gloves mask and face shield, I guess is no different than cosplay I have done lol But I'm not going to a con if that's necessary. 

But I figure its only a matter of time Heroes Con is cancelled/postponed, and then Galaxy Con for North Carolina. 

No notice yet and cons further out have already cancelled hm

My bet is if North Carolina doesn't have a stay in order in place by then or no restrictions on large gatherings it'll still be on.

I will be missing it because I'm not taking the chance, which is a shame as it's my favorite convention city of the ones I go to during con season.

1 hour ago, StingerMcK said:

If Heroes happens, it would be a tight timeline, even assuming Phase 1 starts May 8th

1380606677_Screenshot_2020-04-24GovernorCooperextendsNCStayatHomeorderthroughMay8.thumb.png.07aaab163e4968f361b4da18d4201ddd.png

1484063811_Screenshot_2020-04-24GovernorCooperextendsNCStayatHomeorderthroughMay8(1).thumb.png.72a265f0a63e42a84f96e8c893809a0d.png

1074351172_Screenshot_2020-04-24GovernorCooperextendsNCStayatHomeorderthroughMay8(2).thumb.png.133d8d8305f9c1c79a3a6a9e443b1037.png

That's good information that I was not aware of, thank you.

It really feels like Shelton is going to wait until the last minute to see if Heroes can happen. Is that an incorrect assumption on my part?

I love this con and my booth is already paid for , However the chances of any convention hall having thousands of people in an enclosed area anywhere, happening before fall at the earliest is almost 0 . Even if  phase three reads  as an increase in gathering capacities, I seriously doubt that means convention centers . I'm rootin' for Shelton, But, I just don't see it

Man, that really is bad. Looks like the first ever for this year to be without so many if not all the biggest comic cons had been lost by cancellations. Year 2020 will go down as remembered like that.

14 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Heroes just cancelled.  Based on the email I just got I just became a Heroes 2021 convention booth bondholder.  Interest free loan 

Since the average Bank interest rate is below 1% I have no problem just transferring the funds 

look  at the bright side, I have a strong feeling at least one promoter will go  bankrupt this year in which case you can Kiss your deposit goodbye

Dollar for dollar Heroe's is on of the best values as far as booth spaces go, And I completely understand Sheldon's position as his e-mail explained:

"We are not receiving a refund from the Charlotte Convention Center, we are transferring our deposits from 2020 toward a 2021 show. Putting on a show the size and scope of the Heroes Convention is extremely expensive. All the money we have received from the purchase of 3-Day Advance Tickets, Artist Alley Tables and Exhibitor Booths is currently tied up in the cost of renting the Charlotte Convention Center, our decorator, and several other items that facilitate the show each year"

On 4/25/2020 at 7:45 AM, Golden Memories said:

Since the average Bank interest rate is below 1% I have no problem just transferring the funds 

look  at the bright side, I have a strong feeling at least one promoter will go  bankrupt this year in which case you can Kiss your deposit goodbye

Dollar for dollar Heroe's is on of the best values as far as booth spaces go, And I completely understand Sheldon's position as his e-mail explained:

"We are not receiving a refund from the Charlotte Convention Center, we are transferring our deposits from 2020 toward a 2021 show. Putting on a show the size and scope of the Heroes Convention is extremely expensive. All the money we have received from the purchase of 3-Day Advance Tickets, Artist Alley Tables and Exhibitor Booths is currently tied up in the cost of renting the Charlotte Convention Center, our decorator, and several other items that facilitate the show each year"

As a vendor who does mostly shows in the KS, MO, OK area I am lucky in that the money I generate comics is just extra discretionary income.  But, for a lot of these folks this is how they pay their mortgage or  need these funds to pay for the event.  I have a feeling that some people are going to take a pretty big hit on this and that some of these shows in June - September are not going to be well attended.

I didn’t realize when I was at C2E2 that it may have ended up being the last big show of the year here in the upper midwest. The way things are going, odds are getting much lower for WW Chicago happening in August. I don’t foresee anything beyond small 30-40 table shows happening around here this year. I hope I’m wrong, but since there is likely a 60 day window at which the promoters have to decide, unlikely they’ll take the chance. 

The Gov of Ill.  shows no signs of reopening anytime soon . Tuesday was the  highest death rate in a single day and yesterday was close 

Since  Chicago is a Major city and the cases are trending up,   If Ill follows the pattern they should begin re-opening  toward the end of May.

If that's the case , the chance of the Gov allowing a large convention in an enclosed center with thousands of people coming jn from all over

the country is flat zero. 

Wizards Next 2 shows are St Louis on 6/5  and Philly on 6/19 

St Louis I starting to reopen Monday with extreme restrictions and its not currently a hot spot ,  so maybe but very doubtful  

Philly in Penn which is a hot spot, and within easy driving distance of NY and NJ is a definite NO 

No word on the site about cancellations or rescheduling yet 

Speaking as a dealer , I would not book at any of these shows tight now , so I can imagine what the attendees must be thinking 

Nothing against WW,  to me, Its just not worth taking a chance 

Nearly 1.25 million people are killed in car accidents each year. That means, on average, auto accidents cause 3,287 deaths per day. An additional 20-50 million people are injured or disabled.

Where the outrage in this? Why in heavens name are we even able to drive these death traps? I feel government should shut down all roads until we get a handle on this. The automobile industry should be held account for not acting on this fast enough.

WW there may be over 1 mill a yr in deaths from auto accidents, thanks to evolved safety regulations over the decades, U.S. has between 35k and 36k deaths per yr.  Remarkable, when considering the  old senile drivers, the young who just managed to pass their driving tests, the drunk and drugged drivers, road rage, and just the extreme quantity of more than 100 million cars a day, driving over the course of a year, more than a billion hours road time, that results in an annual rate of 35k to 36k deaths. 

This contrasts deeply with the covid-19, which despite the precautions taken, have resulted in 63k+ deaths in little more than 6 weeks.  Lifting restrictions and without precautions, as detailed by the scientists, would result in between 1 mill and 2 mill deaths in U.S. so thanfully we dont have sufficient number of dumbasses who cant simply abide by the "hardship" of another 2 to 4 weeks of stay at home precaution and wearing a mask, in order to stop community spread.  That would be a sad state of affairs if we had such dumb mutherfkers that couldnt do such a thing to save so many lives with common sense measures.