• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA COMIC BOOK Collecting in the Financial crisis of 2020
3 3

908 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Ryan. said:

lol

With kids around I had no choice but to started putting my slabs in these:

Comic Supplies Graded Comic Book Bin

Well,keeps things tidy and organized to a point.Stackable?Meh,I stack my cardboard two mag boxes with another two turned sideways on top.Remember those rubber band thingies there was all sorts of butthurt about around here?Wish I could find a thread,a picture lol Made me think of curling with slabs.

3 hours ago, fifties said:

*Sigh* "much ado about nothing". 

I'm still buying PCH and crime books, although at a much slower rate than before, simply because (1) I already have most of what I want, and (2) the absolutely ridiculous prices some of these books are now commanding at the auction sites.

As a collector, I could care less what the values of my books are, since I have no plans on selling them.  And if I "overpay", so what, I'm buying for my enjoyment.  

^^

15 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Thank you for your support on that statement. But I would bet that your grandparents as well mine lived thru the ten year depression 1929-1939. The stories they told me, the expression on their faces and the lessons learned were still burned in their memory 25 years later. We have an advantage over the "young" folks who have no idea what it was like. Until now. Debt free today is akin to being unamerican. Our system is geared towards buy now and pay later...similar to the way the US is taking on debt. I know for you and me, it is very important to only buy what you can afford but please see my comments about being a dinosaur...LOL

The chart below from yesterday’s NY Times would support your point about the pandemic causing a “depression.” Will these jobs come back? And if so, how long will it take? It is the job of the federal government to use its vast power to protect the economy but I’m not sure this is happening to the extent that is required given the mass unemployment we are seeing. Keep in mind that the numbers are higher than what’s indicated on the chart since there are an unquantified number of people who have been unsuccessful in getting access to the state unemployment websites. We are truly in unchartered waters given how staggering these numbers are. I’m an optimist by nature but the fact that these numbers will continue to go up is not good:

35B79AD3-289F-42AB-9F48-C9B8E57AFD7D.jpeg.ae0d0c98b0d2cf952d4f5ad8534319ab.jpeg

17 hours ago, fifties said:

*Sigh* "much ado about nothing". 

I'm still buying PCH and crime books, although at a much slower rate than before, simply because (1) I already have most of what I want, and (2) the absolutely ridiculous prices some of these books are now commanding at the auction sites.

As a collector, I could care less what the values of my books are, since I have no plans on selling them.  And if I "overpay", so what, I'm buying for my enjoyment.  

"As a collector, i could care less what the values of my books are, since i have no plans on selling them, and if i over pay, so what, i'm buying for mt enjoyment." 

Good for you and i appreciate your "Brick Wall" mentality it is very refreshing. However for the other 99% of GA/SA comic book collectors we do care about value. Even if we hold out to the very end , we want our families to have some future value in relation to what we paid to be passed on to them. I do think that any true GA/SA comic book collector should be considered any less a collector because of that consideration either in buying or selling GA/SA. A true comic book collector can be and should be concerned about present and future value of their entire GA/SA collection. It does not turn the True GA / SA collector into a  pure speculator or widget flipper. Is the GPA designed for flippers or true comic book collectors who are concerned about what is a FAIR current market evaluation of the prospective buying or selling the GA book. While you don't mind overpaying again i think that 99% of the other GA collectors just want a fair price to pay and some type of reasonable recovery of that price in case of unforeseen circumstances require a emergency exit.

" Absolutely ridiculous prices some of these books are now commanding at auction sites"..This is a curious statement from you given the fact that  you current buying policy is  "If I overpay so what".

"Sign" much to do about nothing"..For 99% of us...we care and the current and future of GA/SA comic book values in the 2020 financial crisis as this impacts not only our own GA/SA comic book collectors,or fellow board members GA/SA collections, but all of our families, friends, and co-workers. How we conduct ourselves, without fear, without panic but with truth, justice and the American way will guide us coming out Stronger, Smarter, and remembering what really is important in life.

22 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

"As a collector, i could care less what the values of my books are, since i have no plans on selling them, and if i over pay, so what, i'm buying for mt enjoyment." 

Good for you and i appreciate your "Brick Wall" mentality it is very refreshing. However for the other 99% of GA/SA comic book collectors we do care about value. Even if we hold out to the very end , we want our families to have some future value in relation to what we paid to be passed on to them. I do think that any true GA/SA comic book collector should be considered any less a collector because of that consideration either in buying or selling GA/SA. A true comic book collector can be and should be concerned about present and future value of their entire GA/SA collection. It does not turn the True GA / SA collector into a  pure speculator or widget flipper. Is the GPA designed for flippers or true comic book collectors who are concerned about what is a FAIR current market evaluation of the prospective buying or selling the GA book. While you don't mind overpaying again i think that 99% of the other GA collectors just want a fair price to pay and some type of reasonable recovery of that price in case of unforeseen circumstances require a emergency exit.

" Absolutely ridiculous prices some of these books are now commanding at auction sites"..This is a curious statement from you given the fact that  you current buying policy is  "If I overpay so what".

"Sign" much to do about nothing"..For 99% of us...we care and the current and future of GA/SA comic book values in the 2020 financial crisis as this impacts not only our own GA/SA comic book collectors,or fellow board members GA/SA collections, but all of our families, friends, and co-workers. How we conduct ourselves, without fear, without panic but with truth, justice and the American way will guide us coming out Stronger, Smarter, and remembering what really is important in life.

99% might be a little high. I'm 46, and if I live another 40 or 50 years (which might be a little too optimistic in light of the current pandemic), I fully expect my comic book collection to be worth very little by the time anybody inherits it from me. As much as I enjoy the hobby, I recognize that no one under 30 grew up riding his or her bike to the nearest party store to buy comic books off the spinner rack the way I did. I don't expect collecting comic books to still be "a thing" in 50 years.

5 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

99% might be a little high. I'm 46, and if I live another 40 or 50 years (which might be a little too optimistic in light of the current pandemic), I fully expect my comic book collection to be worth very little by the time anybody inherits it from me. As much as I enjoy the hobby, I recognize that no one under 30 grew up riding his or her bike to the nearest party store to buy comic books off the spinner rack the way I did. I don't expect collecting comic books to still be "a thing" in 50 years.

People  will still be reading in the graphic format in 40/50 years from now. some form of comic book art or format will be widely read and used on a daily basis. GA/SA comic book collecting world has been given new life thru Marvel Studios,DC ect. Those movies will be still be around and watched..as "classics"...I suppose instead of TCM...it will be SHC...Super Hero Classics.. I have to disagree that  comic books and collecting  will be a Dead Zone" in 40, 50 and even 100 years. I do agree it will be different. I assume in 40 years all created  GA/SA comic books will be available instantly on any phone or computer as GA/SA will never go away. But the fact that is a very rare item and that it survived will be of value in and of itself.

As far a value goes,40 to 50 years from now, who knows, maybe money will worthless and old antique items will be the future currency of the world..who knows. I will not be there to find out. You might and tell your great grand kids how fun it used to be and how GA got us thru the end of the great depression , WWII, 2008 worldwide financial crisis, and the 2020 Virus crisis. The good old days.

I understand your point that at the end of 40 or 50 years you collection might be worthless, but my point is that is a big assumption   for that long a period, without wanting to buy your kids or grand kids a house or a down payment or other change of circumstance.In reality  99% is too low, it should 100% as we are all in this together, whether you no longer are a GA collector next week, next year, next century.

2 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

This might be a little pessimistic Jimbo, because it is human nature to be hunters and gatherers.  If prices were to drastically drop on GA/SA comics 30-40 years from now I think a lot of people with the collecting mentality would just jump right on that and start it up again...:)  Right now the back issue collecting hobby is bigger than it's ever been...at least bigger than I've seen it in my 57 years of collecting.

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

4 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Three words

Honus Wagner Card

5 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I don't think any collector, who is in this hobby strictly for the enjoyment he/she gets out of the artwork or stories, or as in my case, also as an attachment to the past (and has no plans on selling their treasures) really cares about current or future value.  Yeah, sure, I love it that the Mr. Mystery 12 that I paid 2 bucks for in 1972 is now worth a thousand times more, but why would I ever part with it?  This is akin to telling your woman she needs to sell some of the pricey jewelry you had bought for her.  As the British might say, "it just isn't done".

I don't think collectors such as myself compose but one percent of the community, but I could be wrong.  

AFA my statement about the current ridiculous prices and my overpaying; to dissect a bit, I will not pay the hundreds or thousands of dollars for an icon book, which are usually slabbed in order to obtain the highest sale price.  I will pay however 20 or 50 bucks more than my common sense tells me I should, for a book on my small want list, or that appeals to me.

43 minutes ago, fifties said:

I don't think any collector, who is in this hobby strictly for the enjoyment he/she gets out of the artwork or stories, or as in my case, also as an attachment to the past (and has no plans on selling their treasures) really cares about current or future value.  Yeah, sure, I love it that the Mr. Mystery 12 that I paid 2 bucks for in 1972 is now worth a thousand times more, but why would I ever part with it?  This is akin to telling your woman she needs to sell some of the pricey jewelry you had bought for her.  As the British might say, "it just isn't done".

I don't think collectors such as myself compose but one percent of the community, but I could be wrong.  

AFA my statement about the current ridiculous prices and my overpaying; to dissect a bit, I will not pay the hundreds or thousands of dollars for an icon book, which are usually slabbed in order to obtain the highest sale price.  I will pay however 20 or 50 bucks more than my common sense tells me I should, for a book on my small want list, or that appeals to me.

I agree that it is not one single factor that makes up the DNA of a true GA/SA comic book collector. It should be combination of many factors that you mention. To me, it is reliving the past, enjoying a great read from  GA book , and knowing that you have a piece of history in your hands among other reasons.. But you can be appreciate all the above and still care about current and future value. This is where I disagree with you. Current or Future value or worth  can be one of components of a true GA/SA collector. You mention if you pay 20 or 50 bucks more than your common sense, no problem...But for the True GA/SA comic book who   pays  $700, $7000, or $70,000 over market price that makes a different story.

Cong on that MM 12, wise buy in 72', but for collectors who were not even born then, how do they catch up us? They do so carefully using safe and sane financial responsibility and consider present and future value into building their GA/SA comic book collection because if they want a MM 12 they are not gonna have the same chance to pay $2.

Edited by Mmehdy

2 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Cong on that MM 12, wise buy in 72', but for collectors who were not even born then, how do they catch up us? They do so carefully using safe and sane financial responsibility and consider present and future value into building their GA/SA comic book collection because if they want a MM 12 they are not gonna have the same ability to pay $2.

So I'm that collector who was never able to pay $2 for a MM12. 

My brother and I grew up loving comic books. We collected marvel cards and rushed home from the school to watch the animated batman and Xmen series. We road our bikes to "Grand Slam Comics" in Vernon CT and I use to marvel at the walls of silver age books.  I started collecting SA and BA in high school. The days of picking up an AF15 for $0.12 or even $1200 were long gone. 

I would save every penny from job at kmart to go buy "big" books at shows and cons. Silver Surfer, wolverine and punisher were my favorite charectors and that's who I bought. 

My collecting would pause as real life responsibilities competed for funds and I've always hunted for bargains, but the only way I was ever going to get big books was through careful financial discipline. 

I'm sure if my friends or family knew what I spent on some of those books their jaws would drop. Maybe it is ridiculous and maybe no one will care for comics in 50 years,  but I do get enormous joy from them.  That joy is greatly enhanced because my 7 year old son loves it to and it's really become our thing. 

Now, as much as I love comics I'm extremely financially disciplined. I carry no debt outside of a manageable 15 year mortgage. I have 529 plans for my boys, 401ks and Roths, s diversified portfolio of index funds,  mutual funds and stocks and emergency cash.  While I recognize the value of comics, I don't think of them as an investment. It's a hobby I've enjoyed since I was a kid and my 7 year old and I can do it together. 

And yes, I get a little excited at the thought of the golden age market softening up.  Maybe we'll stumble into some good buying opportunities that wouldn't otherwise exist.

45 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

While I recognize the value of comics, I don't think of them as an investment. It's a hobby I've enjoyed since I was a kid

Exactly!  I've never bought a single comic by itself that I planned on selling at the outset.  Now there have been both pre and post code books I've bought, received, read, and then put up for sale because their stories just didn't jazz me that much.  Additionally, I've bought groups of books in order to get the few that I really wanted, and sold off the rest.  But these actions were all done present time, and not in a scheme to buy and hold for appreciation.

AFA will anybody give a damn about comic books 50 years from now, the concept is inconsequential to most of us, as we won't be around then, so why be concerned?

On 4/8/2020 at 7:19 AM, szav said:
On 4/8/2020 at 5:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure if your point of view is correct here since I have yet to heard of any Canadian that would want to have the American user pay health care system over the government funded Canadian health care system.  :gossip:

On a slightly different side issue, why are there caravans of American drug tourists that come all the way up to Canada to clean all of the insulin and other cheap drugs out of our pharmacies?  :slapfight: :slapfight: :takeit:

The Canadians you know must be a lot more patient than the ones I know (there are many snowbirds where I live) and not mind that average 5 month wait for what they deem non critical care. 

You are most definitely correct about having to wait for certain types of elective surgery (unless you are a sports athlete or somebody else famous) since I heard that there is a rather long wait for certain types of procedures.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :mad:  :censored:

Not exactly sure which ones they are since I have not personally (knock on wood) or actually know of anybody that has required any of this type of medical work to date.  :wishluck:

On 4/8/2020 at 7:19 AM, szav said:

Also 2/3s of Canadians carry supplementary/private health insurance for all the things not covered by their 'universal' coverage.. 

Not exactly sure what you mean by supplementary private health insurance.  I assume you must mean the extended health care plan that most working employees received which covers such things as your prescription drugs, hospital stay/ambulance coverage, paramedical services, optical & prescription eyeglasses & hearing aids, dental procedures, out of country travel emergency medical coverage, etc.  If that's what you mean by supplementary private health care, it should be pointed out that it's generally paid for by the employer with only a very tiny portion paid by the employees in terms of only a few dollars a month and the equivalent of less than $60 USD per month for retired employees. 

Since a lot of Canadians tend to travel down to the United States with their extremely outrageously high medical costs,most people tend to also buy additional travel insurance since they think it just might go over the $250,000 coverage they already get from their extended medical plan.  Definitely a good deal for government employees at something like only the equivalent of $135 USD per annum for the "family" which includes full travel insurance coverage including 7-figure medical expenses, trip cancellation/interuption/delay, lost baggage, etc.  It's actually unbelieveable coverage but only kicks in when the rest of your travel insurance coverage doesn't apply which I found out is almost always when it comes to trying to make a travel insurance claim on your credit card insurance as they look for every little angle to get out of paying you.  (tsk)  :frustrated:  :censored:    Definitely not the case with this travel insurance that we get from work.  :cloud9:

So, I guess my bottom-line is that I would still much rather prefer the Canadian universal medical health care system as opposed to the American paid medical health care system.  But I guess like anything else, it's really more a case of to each, their own.  (thumbsu

On 4/9/2020 at 2:27 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Maybe some people will learn from this experience to be more debt free in the future. 

Unlike some up and comers at the time like the dentist who supposedly funded a portion of his Church purchases by maxing out his credit cards as he was coming out of dental school, I must be a real old dinosaur as I waited until my house was virtually fully paid off before deciding to make the move into GA collecting.  Definitely should have done it a few years earlier when all those books were availble at a much lower price point, instead of waiting until I had the money to pay for everything in full.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  doh!

On 4/9/2020 at 2:27 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

and I know one thing, nobody is going to wait until they run out of toilet paper to buy new rolls from now on...and they might even keep a little 6 month stockpile of non-perishable food on hand too.  hm

Well, no worries here as my better half has a bad habit of buying things like toilet paper whenever they are on sale (and they ALWAYS are, even nowadays), I must have enough in my garage to last me quite a few years.  :facepalm:

As for foods, we also have a large freezer in our garage so I've have yet found the need to hit any of the supermarkets yet as we have an ample supply of frozen meats and other goodies in there to last us a few months.  Especiallysince my better half is really not much of a meat eater, so we just have to wandered out to the streets every now and then to pick up some fresh veggies and fruits.  Finally, a chance to go through and clear out all of that stuff from the freezer instead of constantly adding to it since we can't eat it that fast.   (thumbsu :bigsmile: 

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Unlike some up and comers at the time like the dentist who supposedly funded a portion of his Church purchases by maxing out his credit cards as he was coming out of dental school, I must be a real old dinosaur as I waited until my house was virtually fully paid off before deciding to make the move into GA collecting.  Definitely should have done it a few years earlier when all those books were availble at a much lower price point, instead of waiting until I had the money to pay for everything in full.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  doh!

Well, no worries here as my better half has a bad habit of buying things like toilet paper whenever they are on sale (and they ALWAYS are, even nowadays), I must have enough in my garage to last me quite a few years.  :facepalm:

As for foods, we also have a large freezer in our garage so I've have yet found the need to hit any of the supermarkets yet as we have an ample supply of frozen meats and other goodies in there to last us a few months.  Especiallysince my better half is really not much of a meat eater, so we just have to wandered out to the streets every now and then to pick up some fresh veggies and fruits.  Finally, a chance to go through and clear out all of that stuff from the freezer instead of constantly adding to it since we can't eat it that fast.   (thumbsu :bigsmile: 

Well...notice I didn't include paying off your house or car in the debt free scenario...I had that idea once, but soon gave up on it because house prices went up faster than I could save money...:whatthe:  I'm just glad I plowed some into my collection...

3 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Cong on that MM 12, wise buy in 72', but for collectors who were not even born then, how do they catch up us? They do so carefully using safe and sane financial responsibility and consider present and future value into building their GA/SA comic book collection because if they want a MM 12 they are not gonna have the same chance to pay $2.

You are most definitely correct here in terms of trying to build a GA collection in today's marketplace, as compared to doing it in the distant past.  (thumbsu

As Jon Berk himself posted here many times before in the past..............he would have never been able to compile the collection he did or even come close to it if he had to do it in today's hyper red hot marketplace for GA books.  

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

You are most definitely correct here in terms of trying to build a GA collection in today's marketplace, as compared to doing it in the distant past.  (thumbsu

As Jon Berk himself posted here many times before in the past..............he would have never been able to compile the collection he did or even come close to it if he had to do it in today's hyper red hot marketplace for GA books.  

That's the beauty of geezerhood...:)