• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA COMIC BOOK Collecting in the Financial crisis of 2020
3 3

908 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Screw the predictions, I would love to hear more old stories of comic hunting back in the day. Love the bum story. I have a small pile of GA comics I got from a friend in NJ many years ago. Seems a homeless guy found them in an empty house. He was using them as a pillow. He would take them to a local baseball card shop and sell off 2 or 4 at a time for coffee money. My friend bought them and would sell them to me cheap. Got a Shield Wizard #1, a. couple Spectre More Funs as well as some more. 

+1 

Maybe we need to start a new thread, but I love these stories. 

4 hours ago, Axmen said:

Hmm - Seems like this is what I brought up on page 22 and was slapped down quite resoundly and sort of accused of not being a real collector for asking if this was the way to go. 

So what do you think Mitch - you said you agree with some of it and disagree with some can you clarify? 

Im another Sactown guy by the way.

Axman - I hope I'm not included in slapping you around. I didn't mean anything negative by comments, only that's its very difficult to time the market. The risk of selling books with the expectation of getting them cheaper later is to great for me personally. 

Apologies if I was insulting. 

On 4/15/2020 at 1:44 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

=MitchellMehdy.jpg

His friends and fellow collectors call him "king of the comics". That beeyatch, Carol freaking Baskin calls him something else.

3 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I like the idea about changing the way you trading GA  during this crisis. People will need cash, and to get that they make take your lesser material with that..great suggestion. I would call it a partial trade up.

I think this is key not only for collecting but for financial stability in general. Cash creates allot of flexibility. The flexibility to not sell stocks and collectibles when the market tanks, as well as the flexibility to buy cheap when others are selling.  

Its easy to write that,  but life has a funny way of interpreting good plans. Job security and comfort with risk play a key role on deploying lots of cash during a recession.  Comics tend to become lower priority when you've got little folks depending on you. 

3 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I will not take the 90% number in taking a chance that I would be unable replace what was sold. I want want 100% and that is not gonna happen. I will not risk it.

I disagree with the 2/3 year downturn and year 5 recovery. Things are gonna happen quicker than that..a lot quicker, we could hit where we were within 2+ years not 5.

I agree that  most investor's and I would add flippers will sell within the next 18 months.

I disagree with a blanket $ number, you have to look at the book, its rarity, its condition, not the number.

I agree that selling certain GA/SA makes sense, not dumping your entire collection, it seems a bit panicky.

I like the idea about changing the way you trading GA  during this crisis. People will need cash, and to get that they make take your lesser material with that..great suggestion. I would call it a partial trade up.

I would advise every Ga/SA collector to carefully, while we have time on our hands to reevaluate your own collection and either sell,buy or trade up on the weak spots. I disagree with his approach that ALL ungraded, taped etc books should be sold, you might have a very difficult book to obtain no matter what the condition is. I do agree that rusty staples is a issue with me too. I believe you look the total picture, what the book means to you, the condition, how hard was it to obtain, and what impact it will have on your GA/SA collection overall.

I agree with most of these statements, but given your success rate on the 2020 predictions I might have to remain slightly skeptical.  By the way, how do you like my new avatar? (that's the picture under my name...) :roflmao:

6 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I agree with most of these statements, but given your success rate on the 2020 predictions I might have to remain slightly skeptical.  By the way, how do you like my new avatar? (that's the picture under my name...) :roflmao:

The prices were off, but the advice was spot on, hold do not sell on any of those books and it  paid off big time.

Edited by Mmehdy

6 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

His advice on AF15 was pretty good. That book went through a ton of growth. 

Maybe the recession will make one affordable enough for me lol. 

38 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

No, it was bought from his friend, Theo Holstein...in 1973.  Scroll up and read the news article I posted...:)

I've known that story for a while but I thought that perhaps yes, he did "buy" it from Theo but "bought" it as a result of having won an auction that Theo held.

$1801.26 sounds more like an auction amount than a straight sale amount.

Edited by pemart1966

3 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I sent him a message offering to send the pic to him.  We know how computer illiterate he can be...:nyah:  We'll see what he says...

Maybe he may need help loading it. You might have to log on for him :grin:

2 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I've known that story for a while but I thought that perhaps yes, he did "buy" it from Theo but "bought" it as a result of having won an auction that Theo held.

$1801.26 sounds more like an auction amount than a straight sale amount.

Direct collector and collector sale.

3 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

1.26 for postage.  Theo was evidently very cost conscious...LOL

Not too sure it you're joking or not but I think that if I'd just paid a world record price for a comic, I'd be inclined to drive and pick it up.  I wonder if Mitch had seen the comic before buying it?