• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA COMIC BOOK Collecting in the Financial crisis of 2020
3 3

908 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Hmmm that’s seems high. I think I’ll pass but thanks anyway. If you change your mind let me know. Thanks 

I hate flippers who buy comics, hold them for 40 years, adjust the price for inflation and then don't offer to sell them. 

I'm out to. You just lost yourself a cool $200.  

On 4/17/2020 at 8:40 PM, Buzzetta said:

This is just my opinion...

I believe that the absence of SDCC will further dissolve collected cons like SDCC or a NYCC.

Pre-Feb 2020

• Hasbro, the largest toy producer at these types of shows, has a low key (compared to NYCC and SDCC) 'con' themselves called Hascon.  This is where they celebrate their intellectual properties such as Transformers and GI Joe and licensed ones such as Star Wars. 
  • Hasbro makes an appearance at SDCC but in recent years deemed NYCC not worth the expense to be on the show floor but rents space elsewhere in the city hosting their own event during, but not associated with, NYCC.
  • Disney has been gravitating away from SDCC for years now shifting a lot of their announcements and celebrations to the D23 Event. 
  • Video games have been shifting some of their focus away from SDCC and focusing a lot of energy at the Tokyo Game Show, Blizzcon, and E3.  I don't even play video games and I am aware of Tokyo and E3 as they pop up on my radar.

So where do I think this is headed?  SDCC became TOO big.  It became too wide spread embracing too many genres.  It's becoming TOO cost prohibitive for a company like Hasbro to do both SDCC and NYCC so they created their own show and send representatives to D23.  I am NOT saying that SDCC is over, not by a long shot, but I have the following questions:

• Is SDCC sustainable as the con that does it bigger and better?
  • Are retailers in an economic downturn going to continue to pay the pricing that someone else's con demands?
  • Pre-Feb 2020, there were companies that were already drifting away from devoting as much time and resources as they have in previous years... I see that trend continuing.

I see more devoted cons in our future and a contraction of SDCC.  SDCC will try to double down on 2021 to bring people back.  However, I think that these companies are going to plan or align themselves with more of their own devoted events.  So, I foresee a contraction of the largest pop culture con for the next few years.   

Maybe I am wrong.   

"Is SDCC sustainable as the con that does it bigger and better"

Nothing lasts forever. SDCC and possible other major comic events will be impacted for the  next 2 and 3 years especially  if the virus comes in waves and we have no cure or  that cure will take time to produce for billions of people. I, do not believe in that this is a true comic book convention anymore. In reality its a circus event with comic books each and every year getting pushed down the priority list. What about the early  dealer supporters who were treated dirt, moved all over the place, and treated as if they were unwanted. That is what SDCC has become. We in the comic book world, got lost, used, and then abused for the sake of bigger profits. To answer your question is SDCC sustainable as a true comic book convention..NO...as a media advertising tool...yes. So the convention will continue and we will slowly be forgotten in the crunch. The reason why this will be the biggest is that is closest in location to Hollywood.Do not forget that the two major comic book companies are owned by Hollywood and based there. If you judge by attendance, it will the biggest, but the real comic book collectors I think they are on the decline .What about the original people who attended when comic conventions were considered a joke,  and how about those dealers who took a chance in the early days  and drove hundreds of miles year after to suffer price table increases based upon Hollywood demand for more and more space. A revolution is coming, in the true comic books smaller shows Like Terry's here in La that are gonna be big hits and bigger as time gets on. Real collectors will get the message. We will not be forgotten, numbered, indexed..as Prisoner so effectively stated in the classic TV series. Agree or disagree any other opinions would great here looking into an uncertain future for one and all.

"Are Retailers in the economic downturn going to continue to pay the pricing that some of these con demands"

Some of those retailers are gonna lose their business, lose their shirts, and take years to recover.  They will never be business let alone attend any comic book convention. Survival is going to take  priority such as  paying their rent.  SDCC and NYCC should provide LOYAL comic book dealers with a adjusted price rate vs Disney/Marvel media companies etc and I mean a serious discount.  For comic book dealers with 20 or more years in attendance WAVIE the table fees.  Now with no SDCC for two years...and they need the money or  will want a lot of money to make up for losses.. Here is my question to you board members: What do you think is gonna win out..Greed or Compassion? Will SDCC go for the $ or the long run and remember its a comic con.

"Pre-Feb 2020, there were companies that were already drifting away from devoting as much time and resources as they have in previous years..I see the trend continuing. " If want evidence of this , go to mile high comics comic con videos of a few years ago, There was a Great interview by Chuck  of Sal (SF SAL) which nailed that issue. It has slowly evolved to be against the originators.

The trend is to go where money is, SDCC is opening a new museum and that is gonna cost a lot of money and time, and as prices and costs rise..Dealers cannot only justify a certain amount of loss, for the possibly of gain news customers. I see the trend continuing but if any SDCC/NYCC dealers can chime in, their opinion  would be  made with first hand knowledge of the $ and time and energy involved and increasing costs that be great. I see these dealers still going to shows however and possibly selling items out of their hotel rooms,. The future looks bright for lower tier shows or comic book dealers friendly shows where the serious buyers will attend and not a lucky  lottery ticket SDCC and others. Any board member run or help run a convention would have actual data...opinions out there?

You are not wrong, you are 100% spot on. These are real issues and real people and real collectors we are talking about.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 4/17/2020 at 10:32 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I see SDCC crashing and burning within 5 years.  Smaller comic-oriented cons like Terry's SoCal Con are what collectors want...and to make it safe I predict Terry will rent 10 times the space so we can social distance as we buy...:whistle:

I do not think its gonna be a total crash and burn...just different stokes for different folks as comic books will be slowly phased out. Let us say 200K want tickets and they sell 125K a year, even if 75K don't want them any more next year, they still sell out. It is gonna take more than 5 years for a total crash or burn or even decline in ticket sales to really be noticeable. .One thing that has also gone up is ticket prices as well. If I was the head of SDCC, I would give them away to get people back in, they will first test the waters, but Try Color I agree with you that at least for the next couple years 2021 and 2022  we will see a SMALLER SDCC and certainly less small time comic book dealers even if they gave the tables away free in attendance , just because of the cost involved in traveling, hotels,,etc and basic overhead.Terry's Con however I agree will see growth both in space and attendance. SDCC would be smart and run separate conventions for comic related material only and all the other stuff  at another time.

Edited by Mmehdy

7 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

It might be on even in 2021 which would make three years. I do not think its gonna be a total crash and burn...just different stokes for different folks as comic books will be slowly phased out. Let us say 200K want tickets and they sell 125K a year, even if 75K don't want them any more next year, they still sell out. It is gonna take more than 5 years for a total crash or burn or even decline in ticket sales to really be noticeable. .One thing that has also gone up is ticket prices as well. If I was the head of SDCC, I would give them away to get people back in, they will first test the waters, but Try Color I agree with you that at least for the next couple years 2021 and 2022  we will see a SMALLER SDCC and certainly less small time comic book dealers even if they gave the tables away free in attendance , just because of the cost involved in traveling, hotels,,etc and basic overhead.Terry's Con however I agree will see growth both in space and attendance.

My post was a little serious and a little facetious...but I do agree things are going to change some.  I always thought SDCC was a non-profit that just covered their costs to put on the con, but I guess they are like all the other non-profits that only give 15% to the "charity" and keep the rest.  I guess they all got too greedy...

The last time I went (2001 I think) tables were about $1000 each and it was around $15 or $20 a day to get in.  I don't even want to know what they charge these days.  They can stick it up their butts with a banana...:banana:

And it's Tri-Color...not Try Color...let's type it right...:taptaptap:lol

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

2 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

My post was a little serious and a little facetious...but I do agree things are going to change some.  I always thought SDCC was a non-profit that just covered their costs to put on the con, but I guess they are like all the other non=profits that only give 15% to the "charity" and keep the rest.  I guess they all got too greedy...

The last time I went (2001 I think) tables were about $1000 each and it was around $15 or $20 a day to get in.  I don't even want to know what they charge these days.  They can stick it up their butts with a banana...:banana:

LOL...yea...yea

Edited by Mmehdy

OK..tri-color..typo..I was laughing too hard. or spell check, But the SDCC has become a cash register and it costs money to open a new museum, fund all staff etc etc... there is a pressure there to look for the $ not care about the people who started it all.

Edited by Mmehdy

this has been a great thread. so many threads here get taken over by parties that just bicker, insist on having the last word, and whose opinions are always right. the story about mitch and the action 1 he got back in the mid 70s, and his predictions ten years ago are fascinating and great reading, thank you guys for this thread! 

3 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this has been a great thread. so many threads here get taken over by parties that just bicker, insist on having the last word, and whose opinions are always right. the story about mitch and the action 1 he got back in the mid 70s, and his predictions ten years ago are fascinating and great reading, thank you guys for this thread! 

It takes a community of great thinkers old and new and people that want to "risk" being on the boards to get anywhere this board and this thread. I cannot tell you about how many people read this, but have never been on the boards. I know of 3 Whale collectors with over 30 years of comic book collecting who refuse to get engaged in "combat". They read, they listen, some everyday, but they remain in the shadows. If you are reading this and you have not yet "hit" the boards up, please feel free to start right now, on this thread. We need you and your experience and opinion no matter how different or controversial. Your comments will be respected but not necessary agree with.

In serious times, financially and emotionally for all, I think the board here clearly has taken it way up a level or two.We seem to be more together than ever today as a community . It might get back to the old days of "hazing" new posting  members to see who they are, and what they are made of after this is over and so be it. But I am very hopeful that compassion will overcome that primal instinct of man and we will make this a more friendlier place, more open place with respect for everyone.

We need everybody's voice here...they are many things that we do not know, that others do, and we need that shared on this board and in this community to help overcome one of the great struggles of our lifetime.

Thank you for you kind thoughts "Alex Gross" .

5 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Agreed!

There's been a lot of postings about buying Action 1 on this thread - Mitch; the guy that cleared out his savings AND took out a loan against his house come to mind.

I'm wondering if anybody here has had in their collecting lifetime a chance to buy Action 1 at a price they could afford without mortgaging the house - and turned DOWN the opportunity to do so...especially early on in Fandom...

I've never been to the San Diego Comic Con.  Largest I ever went to was the L.A. Comic Convention, held once a month at the Shrine Auditorium Annex in downtown Al-Eh.  I think it was two or five bucks to get in, back in the '90's, and they would advertise by mailing yellow fliers, promoting who would be there to autograph or whatever.

At first, there were enough pre-silver age tables that it made going worthwhile, but after awhile that seemed to run kinda dry, and I noticed more and more that toys and other stuff was kinda taking over.  I eventually stopped going because it just wasn't worthwhile anymore.  The way you all are discussing San Diego, even W/O the pandemic, it may eventually follow suit.

17 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I'm wondering if anybody here has had in their collecting lifetime a chance to buy Action 1 at a price they could afford without mortgaging the house - and turned DOWN the opportunity to do so...especially early on in Fandom...

By the time I was born AC1 was out of my wheelhouse. I have a few "the one who got away stories", but they are all silver age. JIM83, FF1 and a beautiful TOS39. 

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

A big huge shout out to our very own tall Texan (i.e. @MrBedrock ) who made the decsion to Mannup for his employees during this time of the pandemic crisis:  (thumbsu

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/04/07/how-one-houston-retailer-has-avoided-layoffs.html

Instead of taking the easy way out by either laying off or furloughing his employees, it looks like Richard took the high road and he's going to retain and continue to pay for all 32 of them throughout his various stores.  According to the article, Richard states that "I'm not letting anybody go; (my employees are) big assets to me".  

Good leadership and being a good person during tough times! Happy to read stories like these! 

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

A big huge shout out to our very own tall Texan (i.e. @MrBedrock ) who made the decsion to Mannup for his employees during this time of the pandemic crisis:  (thumbsu

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/04/07/how-one-houston-retailer-has-avoided-layoffs.html

Instead of taking the easy way out by either laying off or furloughing his employees, it looks like Richard took the high road and he's going to retain and continue to pay for all 32 of them throughout his various stores.  According to the article, Richard states that "I'm not letting anybody go; (my employees are) big assets to me".   Looks like Richard had the foresight to see what was coming and was wise enough to take an advance against his inventory and also one from an auction house for vintage comics normally targeted for comic conventions since it's almost a guarantee that we won't be having any for this coming convention season.  :frown:

Well done Richard, and a whole ton of respect here for placing your employees over and above your own personal business interests. :applause:

It is stories like this that remind me how great board members can really be. There should be some great material coming to HA in the future, so save your bucks. Richard has some of the best stuff in the business, especially high grade GA...I wonder what is coming up? any ideas out there?

33 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

It is stories like this that remind me how great board members can really be. There should be some great material coming to HA in the future, so save your bucks. Richard has some of the best stuff in the business, especially high grade GA...I wonder what is coming up? any ideas out there?

How sure are you that it's going to be Heritage?  hm

The last time Richard consign something to an auction house to raise some funds for some hurricane damage to his store(s), I believe it was the Twilight copy of Marvel Comics #1 which he toook to CC to auction off a couple of years ago.  (thumbsu

59 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The last time Richard consign something to an auction house to raise some funds for some hurricane damage to his store(s), I believe it was the Twilight copy of Marvel Comics #1 which he toook to CC to auction off a couple of years ago.  (thumbsu

I read somewhere that they asked for an additional credit extension for  upfront for advanced partial payments and indicated that they got it and are still in the market to make advances on consignments. So, I assume it Ha and Richards consignment is

which triggered that.

Edited by Mmehdy

20 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:
56 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I read somewhere that they asked for an additional credit extension for  upfront for advanced partial payments and indicated that they got it and are still in the market to make advances on consignments. So, I assume it Ha and Richards consignment

which triggered that.

Don't most of the major auction houses offered advances on your consignment as an enticement for consignors to consign their books with them?  (shrug)

I believe Richard stated on the boards here that he had no problem getting an advance from Vinnie for the Marvel Comics 1 which eventually ended up selling for $215,000:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/744183

mar1.37a.jpg