• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA COMIC BOOK Collecting in the Financial crisis of 2020
3 3

908 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

The great sell off is here...Action #10 thru #50 are going for $10 each on ebay.  Rumor has it that ComicConnect is going to have a $1 golden age sale any day now.  We live in exciting times...:whatthe:  lol

2 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Of course, and my statement was just a joke.  I do not see a large-scale panic sell off in this hobby.  We have been thru downturns in the economy before that did not affect our hobby.  The only thing that seems to affect us is supply and demand...

Now you tell me.  (tsk)

Especially right after I gave a call into Dave to see if his Church run of Action Comics and Allentown copy of 'Tec 27 was now available at full cover price, for what really amounts to nothing more than some used and now worthless old comic books.  :p  :takeit:

24 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

“I don’t take any responsibility at all”

Not sure who you are referring to since I was actually talking in my post about the Carl Barks Donald Duck story which i was reading last night?  :whistle:

Hopefully, you are not referring to an actual real person because the Mods will be sure to slap you with a big warning once they get back into the office from their imposed lockdown.  (tsk)

Hopefully, you simply misquoted and really meant to say "With great power comes great responsibility" as said by good old Spidey in his famous line. :bigsmile:  (thumbsu

So, by linking your comment to my post, if you don't see me around here for the next while, I guess I'll have you to blame for being given the bunt from the boards.  :eek:  

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/22/2020 at 11:21 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure who you are referring to since I was actually talking in my post about the Carl Barks Donald Duck story which i was reading last night?  :whistle:

Hopefully, you are not referring to an actual real person because the Mods will be sure to slap you with a big warning once they get back into the office from their imposed lockdown.  (tsk)

Hopefully, you simply misquoted and really meant to say "With great power comes great responsibility" as said by good old Spidey in his famous line. :bigsmile:  (thumbsu

So, by linking your comment to my post, if you don't see me around here for the next while, I guess I'll have you to blame for being given the bunt from the boards.  :eek:  

I’d have gladly linked Great Caesars Ghost’s comment to my post if it were still in the thread, and been happy to have borne any critical brunt of agreeing with the truth.  I think it’s well past time for walking on egg shells around folks making life or death decisions impacting hundreds of thousands of good citizens based solely on personal whims and how the image looks to supporters.  That ship sailed with the pandemic.  We can parse the subject in safer terms of how these decisions effect convention travel and the economics of buying and selling comics in this new environment where personal health becomes a factor in buyer consideration.

Never used the “p” word or the “T” word and try my best to maintain a focus on comics during the pandemic. This is just a routine comics discussion thread full of hero’s, victims, scoundrels and criminal masterminds!

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
My grammar made me do it. ;0)

While there is no doubt this is going to spell trouble for the global economy with an awful lot of people not working, it is extraordinary how technology is enabling life to move forward.

We are seeing an immediate shift to a population working at home, virtual school for my kids, a change to online classes for college kids, Telahealth and a rise in mail order services.

I have worked at home for many years, but today will be the first day I'm working, my wife is virtually teaching, and my 7 year old son is going to school all from the same room.....  And we have a 2 year old who will do his best to make sure none of us accomplish anything. 

From a collecting stand point, it will be interesting to see how technology changes the game.  You'll have a lot of shops unable to open and a lot of dealers unable to attend cons. While it's possible many collectors will hoard those big ticket books, I actually think we'll see tremendous buying opportunities from dealers who sell books to survive. 

The boards and online auctions will have allot of inventory. Then it's a question of if enough collectors have the job security to drive the demand. 

16 hours ago, rjpb said:

I have no idea how things might change in the next couple of months, but if my ebay activity this weekend was any indication, GA buyers aren't slowing down.

I agree 100% with this. Nothing I've been watching on CL, HA or ebay have gone for any kind of a deal. 

Adding: In fact, most have gone for more than they were a few months ago. 

Edited by manofsteel

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I just bought another GA book on ebay today...and the buyer accepted my offer of $40 for his $55 book...which was way underpriced to begin with.  I love sellers who don't know how to list a book so everyone can find it...:roflmao:

I think all GA/SA collectors should test the "waters" but not just on e-bay. You might want to be aggressive and contact dealers, especially ones that mainly sell at conventions as well as have a small presence of a website or none at all. A phone call is all it is and even if your offer is rejected...you might get a phone call down the road, especially if things take longer to recover than anticipated "saying you got a deal". If an offered is presented right, I do not think it would be considered an insult...it just depends how you frame it.  I would say that I am still the market and have limited funds and I am available to purchase items if you make the decision today or in the future. I would always leave the door open, especially on GA that you have been looking for a long time.

43 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I think all GA/SA collectors should test the "waters" but not just on e-bay. You might want to be aggressive and contact dealers, especially ones that mainly sell at conventions as well as have a small presence of a website or none at all. A phone call is all it is and even if your offer is rejected...you might get a phone call down the road, especially if things take longer to recover than anticipated "saying you got a deal". If an offered is presented right, I do not think it would be considered an insult...it just depends how you frame it.  I would say that I am still the market and have limited funds and I am available to purchase items if you make the decision today or in the future. I would always leave the door open, especially on GA that you have been looking for a long time.

Great advice Mitch...(thumbsu

I read Mile High comics newsletter once in while..here is the headline

NEW COMIC DISTRIBUTION ENDS

TO highlight chuck's points.." our world of comics profoundly changed today, perhaps forever.....all shipping of new comics had ended as we received a letter from Diamond where this temporary publishing shutdown taking place in a healthy market I would have no concerns... 87 years of... Modern comics has been in failing health for years and even if 20% of the comic books shops cannot reopen after the pandemic restrictions are lifted and (have diamond resume shipments). Both ATT(DC) and Disney(marvel) are in dangerous financial stress right now and expecting them to allocate precious resources to restoring print publishings  is simply not logical. "

Then he claims to have anticipated this eventuality for over a decade...etc etc etc.

My thoughts: I view the world as glass of wine half full and Chuck seems to view the wine as half empty. I do not have my head in the sand and will admit that projects will be canceled, books never published and stores that will never recover and reopen. Chuck seems to think we will never come back 100%..I disagree we have a chance.

If every board member would buy one GA related book per week from Bud Plant or Amazon or most importantly from a local comic book store when they reopen we can make a difference. I see a LOT of great reprint material coming especially from Marvel/Timely and DC that I was looking forward to. Hopefully postponed not canceled.

If you are like me and and buy GA/SA reprint volumes and read them, then we as those collectors should be concerned.

Anybody else wish to chime in on this?

Edited by Mmehdy

On 3/22/2020 at 8:28 PM, lou_fine said:

I actually live right next door to a family that came back from China about a month ago and they simply can't believe how lackadaisical the North American approach is to containing the virus as it is compared to China. 

The example they set was out in the open with videos on youtube of people wearings masks, having their temps taken before going into stores, etc.  I had a trip to Europe planned and was considering every day whether to cancel it.   Ultimately decided to go ahead but first I stocked up with N95 masks, hand sanitizer, gloves, even goggles (in case they discovered it was airborne).  Kept a mask on during an entire trans-continental flight because a guy behind me was coughing.  Went to events, parties, and the like packed with people from all over the world (except China) and wore no masks but washed my hands constantly.  Didn't catch anything, and now that I'm back home everyplace I went is on lockdown, including my home.   Wearing masks all the time here when I shop or whatever, and seeing hardly anyone else is wearing them mostly because they're unavailable.   If I hadn't obsessed about the virus a month before most people here, I wouldn't have the stash of masks, sanitizer etc. but feeling bad wondering whether some health professionals might have gotten the stuff if I hadn't bought it.

Edited by bluechip

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Looking at prices on the current Clink auction, prices don't appear to be tanking.

I do not see a "flash" crash in GA/SA market more of gradual decline of unknown time and depth. But if experts are right, and here in Calif today all homeowners were given 90 days "holiday"( with BA 30 but unlimited as crisis continued) on their mortages. This means that the time period for the beginning of the  recovery is projected out for about 3 months from now not years. I don't think you will see an immediate "tank" of the GA/SA market, real estate etc.

Of course if this crisis continues  beyond the three months banks will increase that "holiday". Where I see the crumbing is especially on this HA/CC/CL auctions were people might have the ability to pay up and we can hope they will be flexible with those buyers and allow time payment, which means a lot potential resubmissions added to the mile high pile of persons needing to sell. GA prices are a combination of supply/demand..when we have a potential oversupply then prices will decline Also comic book stores who were on the edge of profitiablty being the most likely not to return. There are unfortunately of a number of GA/more SA collectors who lives or collections could be lost/sold whole or part to this economic/virus  crisis. I do not see anything near a total collapse of the GA/SA market or a sudden 30% overnight drop in all GA/SA value in day or week. Things are gonna happen slowly and over time in this circumstance.

The weakest link is the comic book store owner who has a whole host of expenses just keeping the door open. If you know a comic book store in your area, you might want to contact the owners directly and let me know1-if any GA walks in the door give a call and I will give you a 10/20% finder fee, so there is no carrying costs or risk for an already overstretched store owner. Second, you can contact the store and with great care let the owner know that you would be in the market for any GA if priced right, meaning any existing inventory especially when they just reopen or possible sale of existing stock if they do not intend to reopen.The second, would be the "circuit" comic book dealer who relies on shows, old customers etc. They might need some start up money to get back on the convention train again.

I am hopeful that some of these comic con ticket prices will come down to earth, and that these conventions will get less "side show"  and more actual comic book dealers and get the shows back to comics not showbiz.

So, this could turn out OK..for everybody...Lower GA prices, more customer appreciation from your local store, lower new comic book cover prices, cheaper comic book cons costs and accommodations for hotels, food etc, and a tighter more focused comic book collector.

Edited by Mmehdy

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Looking at prices on the current Clink auction, prices don't appear to be tanking.

I put a dozen or so garbage GA books into the auction...mailed them in like 3 months ago so way before this started.  They're at about half what I initially considered the low end of my expectation with 4-5 days to go.  I'm actually somewhat relieved, thought I might get totally hosed but I'm close to break even on them now.