• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA COMIC BOOK Collecting in the Financial crisis of 2020
3 3

908 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

ASM1 has never been a must have for me either, and I'm a Spiderman collector.  For me, that ship sailed a long time ago....lol  But at least i was smart enough to buy this in 1979...:cloud9:

16840635577_832305cf2c_c.jpg

With the looming recession I'm willing to pay you 2011 prices for that.... no good?  

It's a great book to have in your collection and I'm glad you've hung onto it for 40+ years! 

Just now, KCOComics said:

With the looming recession I'm willing to pay you 2011 prices for that.... no good?  

It's a great book to have in your collection and I'm glad you've hung onto it for 40+ years! 

I will probably never sell that book until I'm on my deathbed.  It only cost $150...lol

Just now, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I will probably never sell that book until I'm on my deathbed.  It only cost $150...lol

That's how I am. I imagine when my kids are grown and if I'm not still enjoying this hobby I would sell most of my collection. But there are some books that are really special to me, I'll either die with or hope my kids will want to keep.  My 7 year old is really  into comics now so hopefully that keeps up! 

On 4/15/2020 at 8:21 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

In 1966 that copy of Action 1 would have been $100.  I saw one (maybe the same comic) that year at Collector's Books in Hollywood for $100. 

...and that was a LOT of $ back then considering that the average annual household income was around $7,000, that represented roughly a week's salary net.

At that price, the guy probably was happy to leave it displayed.  If someone bought it, great, if not - a great conversation starter.

Edited by pemart1966

31 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

WOW SDCC complete cancellation no reset. 2021 here we come

While one door closes, another opens.  This will create possibilities for fan involvement in a virtual SDCC for various activities to those choosing to participate.  I’m pretty sure SDCC will want to be associated with this if not organize it, but I’d caution against monitization.  

Dealers should be able to run their own virtual booths during the time of the con.  

Perhaps virtual on-line pro panels can be scheduled at some point.  Interactivity might even be possible through Skype or similar service for those with the means to properly set it up.  

Heck, if Peter wanted to continue the annual tradition of having a RareHighGrade event with top collectors to share with fans on the GA board, ...maybe even that could be achieved.  

These are just ideas.  Implementation involves a coordinated effort and enough folks willing to participate.

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

33 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

WOW SDCC complete cancellation no reset. 2021 here we come

That was inevitable.  Things will begin to return to (a new) normal sooner than the most naysayers think, and the economy will bounce back much more robustly than the fearful believe it will.  But this development is no surprise except in how long it took for them to confirm it.  They should try to do some sort of virtual con, with PPV panels and chances to "meet" and chat with celebs and creators online.  You could even have virtual interactions with artists who do con sketches online in real time.   San Diego's been overdue for some creative thinking to make it easier for people to enjoy themselves without having to wait on absurdly long lines for even the most mundane panels.

Maybe if they come up with some creative ideas for 2020 they can continue being creative improve the live con experience in time for its return in 2021.  

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Mitch;

Nine short years later, do you have any changes in your Top 5 in terms of either additions/deletions, or change in your ranking order?  hm

On another point from that article, what was the "odd ball" Mickey Mouse book that you apparently paid $5K for at the time and the one you valued at $5K in your Mehdy Price Guide?  :whatthe:

I would have to change the order somewhat with 9 years hindsight. ASM #1 is a bit of a disappointment. Bat #1 is much better, and i would rank it above Cap 1 one in fourth place in sort of a tie with Marvel 1. Cap 1  was a great buy 9 years ago. If fact it is still a great buy today, I think there is room for price growth here. The Joker has become the top villain winning TWO Academy awards for his performance by great actors, and I also like Jack Nicholson ground breaking performance as well. Batman #1 is a winner and here to stay.

The Mickey Mouse book was Christmas giveaway which was listed with no price in the guide for couple of years before some copies turned up. It never hit the prices level I was hoping for.

Edited by Mmehdy

12 minutes ago, bluechip said:

San Diego's been overdue for some creative thinking to make it easier for people to enjoy themselves

I'm waiting for the virtual buying from comic dealers...all we need is a tag on the outside of every wall book that corresponds to a code we type into our computer.  This will alert the dealer that a customer online wants to know about the book, and then the price dickering can begin...lol

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

16 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

ASM1 has never been a must have for me either, and I'm a Spiderman collector.  For me, that ship sailed a long time ago....lol  But at least i was smart enough to buy this in 1979...:cloud9:

16840635577_832305cf2c_c.jpg

Hope you’re panicking Brian and I can pick this ugly Spider-Man book off you for $200-$300. It doesn’t look in great shape and since cash is king that money can really help you during covid-19. Hahahahahaha 

Edited by SOLAR BOY

7 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

While one door closes, another opens.  This will create possibilities for fan involvement in a virtual SDCC for various activities to those choosing to participate.  I’m pretty sure SDCC will want to be associated with this if not organize it, but I’d caution against monitization.  

Dealers should be able to run their own virtual booths during the time of the con.  

Perhaps virtual on-line pro panels can be scheduled at some point.  Interactivity might even be possible through Skype or similar service for those with the means to properly set it up.  

Heck, if Peter wanted to continue the annual tradition of having a RareHighGrade event with top collectors to share with fans on the GA board, ...maybe even that could be achieved.  

These are just ideas.  Implementation involves a coordinated effort and enough folks willing to participate.

This is just my opinion...

I believe that the absence of SDCC will further dissolve collected cons like SDCC or a NYCC.

Pre-Feb 2020

• Hasbro, the largest toy producer at these types of shows, has a low key (compared to NYCC and SDCC) 'con' themselves called Hascon.  This is where they celebrate their intellectual properties such as Transformers and GI Joe and licensed ones such as Star Wars. 
  • Hasbro makes an appearance at SDCC but in recent years deemed NYCC not worth the expense to be on the show floor but rents space elsewhere in the city hosting their own event during, but not associated with, NYCC.
  • Disney has been gravitating away from SDCC for years now shifting a lot of their announcements and celebrations to the D23 Event. 
  • Video games have been shifting some of their focus away from SDCC and focusing a lot of energy at the Tokyo Game Show, Blizzcon, and E3.  I don't even play video games and I am aware of Tokyo and E3 as they pop up on my radar.

So where do I think this is headed?  SDCC became TOO big.  It became too wide spread embracing too many genres.  It's becoming TOO cost prohibitive for a company like Hasbro to do both SDCC and NYCC so they created their own show and send representatives to D23.  I am NOT saying that SDCC is over, not by a long shot, but I have the following questions:

• Is SDCC sustainable as the con that does it bigger and better?
  • Are retailers in an economic downturn going to continue to pay the pricing that someone else's con demands?
  • Pre-Feb 2020, there were companies that were already drifting away from devoting as much time and resources as they have in previous years... I see that trend continuing.

I see more devoted cons in our future and a contraction of SDCC.  SDCC will try to double down on 2021 to bring people back.  However, I think that these companies are going to plan or align themselves with more of their own devoted events.  So, I foresee a contraction of the largest pop culture con for the next few years.   

Maybe I am wrong.   

8 hours ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Hope you’re panicking Brian and I can pick this ugly Spider-Man book off you for $200-$300. It doesn’t look in great shape and since cash is king that money can really help you during covid-19. Hahahahahaha 

That's a little low.  According to the inflation calculator my $150 would be $533.30 today.  You're trying to rip me off of 200 bucks...:sumo:

45 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

That's a little low.  According to the inflation calculator my $150 would be $533.30 today.  You're trying to rip me off of 200 bucks...:sumo:

Hmmm that’s seems high. I think I’ll pass but thanks anyway. If you change your mind let me know. Thanks