• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White pages vs. off white pages
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Let's say you are looking to purchase a 9.8 of a comic you are collecting for a set, are you looking for only white pages or are off white pages acceptable to you? Just curious if some are paying a premium for white pages over off white pages. Thanks

2 hours ago, LordRahl said:

What is the age of the book we're talking about? If Copper or Modern, try finding a 9.8 that DOESN'T have white pages. For Bronze and Silver, I try to stay away from Cream/OW but anything better than that is fine.

late 60's and all of the 70's.

I prefer white pagers.  Mainly collecting back to late Silver Age.  Sometimes difficult to find white pages when looking for 70s underground comix, such as Richard Corben material in my case.  

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Don't care. If someone is charging more for a 9.8 with white than the person with off-white, I am buying the off white. Money saving is key first, page quality comes second. 

If you’re already paying a significant premium for a 9.8 over a 9.6, why not pay a little more to have fresh white pages? 

I collect comic books and not comic book covers, and so prefer the nicest page quality possible for a given grade, all other aspects of eye appeal being equal.

Those of us who continue to collect SA and/or BA raw comics know how great it looks to open a 45+ year old comic and see snow white pages with great looking ink colors on the untoned pages.

Edited by namisgr

I collect mostly GA books, and I accept WHITE or OFF-WHITE-TO-WHITE pages. I will accept OFF-WHITE for books in old-label holders because CGC was stricter back in the old-label days. I will occasionally accept OFF-WHITE for newer slabs, but only if I think WHITE or OW/W is unobtainable for a particular issue.

7 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I collect mostly GA books, and I accept WHITE or OFF-WHITE-TO-WHITE pages. I will accept OFF-WHITE for books in old-label holders because CGC was stricter back in the old-label days. I will occasionally accept OFF-WHITE for newer slabs, but only if I think WHITE or OW/W is unobtainable for a particular issue.

What about rare stuff?