• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage less beneficial to seller than CL/CC for Golden GGA Comics
1 1

69 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, atomised said:

Let's talk about the elephant in the room.  Prices I expect to be soft for collectables across the board given what's happening in the world.  I'm being way more selective on purchases right now.

You'd think so, but I haven't seen any deals yet. I've been collecting GA material for over 30 years, so I've seen a few "soft" times. It seems like the better books tend to go into hiding; most collectors seem willing to wait out the buyers' markets. 

2 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

The eBay sellers will pay 10% fee if they cancel the auctions early.

Well, maybe...but I think that they must have a way around that, because I've seen it quite a few times. I think they cancel all of the bids first, and 10% of zero is zero. I usually see verbiage to the effect of, "The seller removed the item because there was an error in the listing."

39 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

You'd think so, but I haven't seen any deals yet. I've been collecting GA material for over 30 years, so I've seen a few "soft" times. It seems like the better books tend to go into hiding; most collectors seem willing to wait out the buyers' markets. 

Ok cool, appreciate this perspective.  I don't know where things will go.

43 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

...I don't know: Lately the HA Sunday Auction offerings have been as 'choice' as the Signature Auctions. And seems (to me) we're in a 'Timely cash out cycle', great time to be a collector of the publisher as some really stunning books have been changing hands (lots of Pedigree copies too)

11 minutes ago, sagii said:

...I don't know: Lately the HA Sunday Auction offerings have been as 'choice' as the Signature Auctions. And seems (to me) we're in a 'Timely cash out cycle', great time to be a collector of the publisher as some really stunning books have been changing hands (lots of Pedigree copies too)

It seems like the MMs have been getting strong prices on Heritage.

Were those West's books? I thought maybe he was selling them in order to buy Verzyl's Mile High copies.

55 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Each auction house has pros and cons.  Depending on the book, CLink might be the obvious choice.  For others, Heritage is the clear better option.  Trying to make broad conclusions about which is better is kind of a fool’s errand.  The more you know about your books and the people likely to buy them, the better your chances of choosing the best site for your auction.  I greatly appreciate both Heritage and CLink and think both do an excellent job for their customers.  There are books that I think will achieve better results on one over the other, but they both have an important role in maximizing your results.

This is the way I think about it. I have also heard people talk about Heritage having a better reach in Europe... not sure if that's accurate but it does seem like a consideration based on the books selling.

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Well, maybe...but I think that they must have a way around that, because I've seen it quite a few times. I think they cancel all of the bids first, and 10% of zero is zero. I usually see verbiage to the effect of, "The seller removed the item because there was an error in the listing."

If BIN is used, it will be no fee but canceling the auctions early will be resulted of 10% seller's fees.  It happened to me few times and I still don't like it.

29 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

10% of what, the current bid?  

If your item is selling for $195 in 14 hours left before the auction ends, you decide to close the auction early. You have to pay $19.50. It's 10% seller's fee.  It doesn't matter if the auction is closed early or ends and it's still same for 10% seller's fee.

eBay doesn't want to lose money anyways.

Edited by JollyComics

2 hours ago, JollyComics said:

If your item is selling for $195 in 14 hours left before the auction ends, you decide to close the auction early. You have to pay $19.50. It's 10% seller's fee.  It doesn't matter if the auction is closed early or ends and it's still same for 10% seller's fee.

eBay doesn't want to lose money anyways.

Yes, but what if if the seller cancels all of the bids first? Then the item isn't selling. If there is over 24 hrs. left, is there still a penalty?

I don't think there is a penalty if bids are cancelled, and the listing goes unsold on ebay.  For example, businesses may have something for sale listed both locally and via ebay.  If they sell it locally first, and cancel ebay bids & close the auction, I don't think there is any fee associated.

13 hours ago, cheetah said:

Each auction house has pros and cons.  Depending on the book, CLink might be the obvious choice.  For others, Heritage is the clear better option.  Trying to make broad conclusions about which is better is kind of a fool’s errand.  The more you know about your books and the people likely to buy them, the better your chances of choosing the best site for your auction.  I greatly appreciate both Heritage and CLink and think both do an excellent job for their customers.  There are books that I think will achieve better results on one over the other, but they both have an important role in maximizing your results.

Everyone thinking about selling needs to just save this post.  Picking and choosing examples to validate otherwise is pointless.  Way too many external factors.  

8 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Yes, but what if if the seller cancels all of the bids first? Then the item isn't selling. If there is over 24 hrs. left, is there still a penalty?

I canceled all unbidden items 24 hours before the auction ends because I didn't want them to be sold cheaply.  There is no fee or penalty as it treats them as unsold item.

Edited by JollyComics

I am primary a buyer. Have been buying on the forums since 2008 and i am based overseas - I wish more stuff could be sold on CGC boards, thus removing the middleman and thus giving greater savings for both buyers and sellers. That said, I am also a frequent customer of CC, Clink and HA. HA has the best selection of books as well as excellent reach via their catalogs. Clink and CC for me as the buyer, have lower transaction costs. For CC, the main drawback is the long long auction period. Main thing on buying on these boards, the seller must be reputable as my payments are generally via wire transfers rather than paypal to reduce the 5% transaction fees. Ebay on that score, also have extremely high transaction costs.  Buying on the boards, is very much like fishing - you wait and check, wait and check till you see something that catches your fancy - that needs patience on a daily basis. 

17 hours ago, Comcav said:

You sure SEEM to be doing this for no other reason than to bash Heritage.  Guess what, things are a bit softer at the moment.  There are plenty of examples at ANY house where something does better somewhere else.  I buy everywhere, so I'd know. Anyway, just looks like you have a bone to pick about some soft result you got, but a smear campaign is a bad look.  Not accounting for time means this is not apples to apples, regardless.

How do you “bash” a fact? Ignoring specific issues and results, the commission and buyer premium rates are what they are. Heritage charges more; end of story.

eBay — if using PayPal — also has an approx 3% on top of the 10% (though if you are a top seller the 10 goes down to 8%) to factor in, all things considered.

What other auction houses charge additional fees depending on payment type?

Well I got absolutely hosed on my entries in the March signature auctions

My New Book of Comics #2 5.5 sold for barely half of either guide or the last heritage sale from just December. 

Never heard one word from my heritage rep, nor do I expect to.  What can he say?  " sorry we suck" Once they had my books last September their communications were basically non existent