• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay extortion
1 1

28 posts in this topic

I can't believe this is going to be my first post here but I need some veteran advise. I  recently won an auction for 1 book and now the ebay seller is trying to get me to pay for more shipping than what he had listed. I am not going to do that and responded with various terms of service quotes about his responsibility to meet the auction terms. I anticipate he will offer to cancel the deal after, as my wife puts is, my "rather harsh" email. So my understanding is that If I accept the canceling, refunds happen and we both go on our merry way no harm no foul. But no feedback will be left. Should I refuse the canceling and open a dispute so I can leave negative feedback to warn other potential buyers? (It looks like this guy mostly deals in sports equipment.)  Not sure what the best way to move forward is and would love some veteran ebay seller advise.   

I have a couple of questions:  1)  Did you already pay for the item and he's asking for more money, or did he just send you an invoice with extra shipping costs added to the invoice and you haven't paid him anything yet?  2)  Is he asking for extra shipping costs because of your location? For instance, are you in a different country? Thanks for any additional information you can provide...

I agree that since he initially stated his shipping cost and you've already paid him, he should man up and send you the book. If he wanted more than $5 for shipping, he should have put that in the listing. He also could have said something to the effect of "shipping costs may vary depending upon location." At least that alerts potential buyers that shipping may be more than $5...

11 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I agree that since he initially stated his shipping cost and you've already paid him, he should man up and send you the book. If he wanted more than $5 for shipping, he should have put that in the listing. He also could have said something to the effect of "shipping costs may vary depending upon location." At least that alerts potential buyers that shipping may be more than $5...

If I ever have an "iffy" situation (comics are usually not in that category, but I guess they could be), I state a shipping charge that covers my worst-case scenario and state that very fact in my auction, as well as saying something like "if shipping within 1 zone away, I will refund any difference in shipping so as not to overcharge my buyer".

-slym

4 minutes ago, slym2none said:

If I ever have an "iffy" situation (comics are usually not in that category, but I guess they could be), I state a shipping charge that covers my worst-case scenario and state that very fact in my auction, as well as saying something like "if shipping within 1 zone away, I will refund any difference in shipping so as not to overcharge my buyer".

-slym

This, 1000%. 

If the seller had stated some kind of variable shipping, then no problem. I can work with that (although I think $13 is a bit extreme for 1 book, but whatever). But this person waited a week after auction closed and I paid before communicating some vague statement on shipping to CA, not asking at that time for more money, then 3 days after that finally asking for more money. Personally I think the book sold for less than he wanted for it and is trying make up for it at my expense. This is what is upsetting me and making me want to hammer him in his feedback.  

The last eBay auctions that I ran were over a year ago so things might have changed since then but the template forced me to put in a shipping amount - which I did.  

The first line in my description read:  POSTAL RATE IS NOT CORRECT.  PLEASE EMAIL ME FOR AN EXACT QUOTE BEFORE BIDDING AS SHIPPING COSTS VARY DEPENDING UPON LOCATION.  You'd be surprised how many bidders never emailed me lol

1 hour ago, Galan of Taa said:

If the seller had stated some kind of variable shipping, then no problem. I can work with that (although I think $13 is a bit extreme for 1 book, but whatever). But this person waited a week after auction closed and I paid before communicating some vague statement on shipping to CA, not asking at that time for more money, then 3 days after that finally asking for more money. Personally I think the book sold for less than he wanted for it and is trying make up for it at my expense. This is what is upsetting me and making me want to hammer him in his feedback.  

The guy is a thief.  He could priority flat rate you a raw book for $7.15.  $13 to ship one raw book is absurd in and of itself, but asking for another $8 after you've already paid is weak sauce.  Take the seller to task.