• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk 181 Should I press and re-submit?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have an 8.5 SS IH 181. The grader notes say the following: 

Right Bottom Whole Book Small Bend Right

Top Front Cover Crease Breaks Color

Spine Multiple Bend Breaks Color

Would a press bring this up to a 9.0? I'm nervous about sending this in and taking any additional risks. Thanks for any advice

H181_1.jpg

H181_2.jpg

H181_3.jpg

H181_4.jpg

H181_5.jpg

H181_6.jpg

I think it is worth a shot. Considering you will have to send it to CGC in the slab since it is a signature series, they will see the grade and will work very hard to try and fix that corner. I think it is very low risk that the grade would go down. But there is a chance you could go up to a 9.0.

Just remember not to crack the slab on your own. You will lose the signature verification.

IMO - the top right crease would be consistent with VF/VF+. Pressing should resolve the lower corner issue, but the color break would, again, just my opinion, likely keep it out of the NM grade ranges. I don't think you can have that significant of a color breaking bend in VF/NM. Maybe you get lucky.

14 hours ago, brice nelson said:

Top Front Cover Crease Breaks Color

Spine Multiple Bend Breaks Color

This is what is bringing down the grade and pressing cannot fix colour breaking. Honestly, I am surprised to see such colour break on an 8.5, you got rather lucky on that. You can spend the money to regrade it if you want but there's a serious chance that even with a press it comes back with a lower grade.

Edited by William-James88

what signature(s) is on it? (I hope it is Len Wein)

I am not convinced pressing will for sure lead to a better grade and who knows what it might do to the signature. The can probably handle it but how much additional market value are we talking about for a 8.5 to 9.0 bump? I would also consider that the price bump you are thinking is possible might also get adjusted downward with the recent drop in the stock market.

25 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

what signature(s) is on it? (I hope it is Len Wein)

I am not convinced pressing will for sure lead to a better grade and who knows what it might do to the signature. The can probably handle it but how much additional market value are we talking about for a 8.5 to 9.0 bump? I would also consider that the price bump you are thinking is possible might also get adjusted downward with the recent drop in the stock market.

Stan Lee Sig.