• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE GRADE IS IN - PGM X-Men 136
2 2

16 posts in this topic

So, this one I'm not thrilled with, as it came back as an 8. I think they were rougher on it gradewise than the defects warranted, but of course I do. At least it's a classic cover from a classic run, and I'm in no rush to sell.  

26 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

agreed

Notes have anything glaring that pics might've missed?

The three items posted above. I'll have to take another look when it gets back, but they didn't stand out to me as particularly glaring when I submitted. That being said, I obviously want it to be higher, so I may not be the best judge. 

1 hour ago, Harry Lime said:

Crease in the LRCFC. Tiny crease URCFC. Small crease LRCBC. I think an 8 is about right.

It may well be. Still cutting my teeth here in many respects, but the defects seemed less severe to me than the penalties assessed. Again, that's probably the response of the majority who have gotten a grade lower than they'd have liked though. 

1 hour ago, converseba said:

It may well be. Still cutting my teeth here in many respects, but the defects seemed less severe to me than the penalties assessed. Again, that's probably the response of the majority who have gotten a grade lower than they'd have liked though. 

Anytime you get a color breaking corner crease (rule of thumb) its going to put you in the 8.5/9.0 Max arena (especially for bronze/modern).  Sometimes a tiny tiny corner crease that breaks can be found on 9.2/9.4 as long as nothing else is going on.

The soiling/discoloration to the back cover (as small as it is) is probably the dagger that broke it to 8.0 VF.

13 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Anytime you get a color breaking corner crease (rule of thumb) its going to put you in the 8.5/9.0 Max arena (especially for bronze/modern).  Sometimes a tiny tiny corner crease that breaks can be found on 9.2/9.4 as long as nothing else is going on.

The soiling/discoloration to the back cover (as small as it is) is probably the dagger that broke it to 8.0 VF.

That's fair. Appreciate the breakdown as I'm still cataloging my collection and choosing what to grade/what to have pressed/what to re-read/what to burn for warmth, so thank you!

There are the defects in addition to what has already been pointed out.

Small thumb dent top edge front cover. Slight and should press out as it doesn't break color. 

Light soiling back cover.

Light color rub outside edge front cover.

3-4 small color breaks on the spine. 

8 hours ago, joeypost said:

There are the defects in addition to what has already been pointed out.

Small thumb dent top edge front cover. Slight and should press out as it doesn't break color. 

Light soiling back cover.

Light color rub outside edge front cover.

3-4 small color breaks on the spine. 

Wow... joeypost...

41n1q2.gif

...the eye in the sky. :)

Yeah I think the edge rubs at URFC and MRFC hurt bad,URFC corner crease looks bad with edge rub and the LRFC has some issues. Minor issues on BC.

Where did the fingerprint come from in pic 2? I don’t see it in pic 1.

What did the graders notes say? 

Looking closely ar the second pic, I think what we're seeing is just glare - from light reflecting off of the slight stress point (upper edge, FC), as another poster alluded to.  If it were smudging from skin oils, we would see it from any angle.