• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

Hi, I couldn't find the Action Comics thread even though I searched for 10 minutes so here I am. 

Looking for a little input if anyone is willing. This Action Comics 23 Restored 4.0 just sold for 10,200 on Heritage. I was surprised it went for that much. Notice it has a Trimmed Centerfold.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-23-dc-1940-cgc-apparent-vg-40-slight-a-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122103-15002.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

This one is close in grade and has a Married Centerfold. Sold in 2020 for 3,600. Full disclosure I currently own this one.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-23-dc-1940-cgc-apparent-vg-35-slight-a-1-off-white-pages/a/7231-96003.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

So I'm looking for opinions on which one you think is the lesser of two evils, which do you think is more detrimental to the integrity of the book. Basically which do you think is worse in any restored book, a trimmed centerfold or a married centerfold? Thanks

I do realize that the 4.0 appears to have no restoration at all other than a glued and trimmed centerfold. Shame they trimmed it, but compared to the most recent sales of Blue Labels in similar grade it doesn't seem to have hurt the price much.

lf.jpg

1940-4 Action Comics 23.jpg

Edited by Professor Chaos

6 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Hi, I couldn't find the Action Comics thread even though I searched for 10 minutes so here I am. 

Looking for a little input if anyone is willing. This Action Comics 23 Restored 4.0 just sold for 10,200 on Heritage. I was surprised it went for that much. Notice it has a Trimmed Centerfold.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-23-dc-1940-cgc-apparent-vg-40-slight-a-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122103-15002.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

This one is close in grade and has a Married Centerfold. Sold in 2020 for 3,600. Full disclosure I currently own this one.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-23-dc-1940-cgc-apparent-vg-35-slight-a-1-off-white-pages/a/7231-96003.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

So I'm looking for opinions on which one you think is the lesser of two evils, which do you think is more detrimental to the integrity of the book. Basically which do you think is worse in any restored book, a trimmed centerfold or a married centerfold? Thanks

I do realize that the 4.0 appears to have no restoration at all other than a glued and trimmed centerfold. Shame they trimmed it, but compared to the most recent sales of Blue Labels in similar grade it doesn't seem to have hurt the price much.

lf.jpg

Simple the trim 1 original and should be in a Blue holder since nothing was added to the book but glue Not restoration IMO.

Your copy Ct staples replaced restored and has centerfold from another copy  (shrug) even you like the other copy better just hard since you own your copy. I think the same on books i own :facepalm:

7 hours ago, woowoo said:

Simple the trim 1 original and should be in a Blue holder since nothing was added to the book but glue Not restoration IMO.

Your copy Ct staples replaced restored and has centerfold from another copy  (shrug) even you like the other copy better just hard since you own your copy. I think the same on books i own :facepalm:

Well thank you for your input woo. I appreciate it. Thank you for you candor. I wish more would help me out with my query however (hint hint).

To be clear however I didn't say I like either better, but I suppose I would rather have the 4.0 only because there is no restoration other than the trimmed cover. If there was either the slightest other resto I would choose mine because I hate trimmed anything.

I believe even if one page is trimmed it is considered restored no matter what, don't you? 

But my opinion doesn't matter, I wanted to hear the thoughts of others when it comes to trimmed or married. 

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

Well thank you for your input woo. I appreciate it. Thank you for you candor. I wish more would help me out with my query however (hint hint).

To be clear however I didn't say I like either better, but I suppose I would rather have the 4.0 only because there is no restoration other than the trimmed cover. If there was either the slightest other resto I would choose mine because I hate trimmed anything.

I believe even if one page is trimmed it is considered restored no matter what, don't you? 

But my opinion doesn't matter, I wanted to hear the thoughts of others when it comes to trimmed or married. 

Trim is not considered restoration but who knows things change a lot with cgc

6 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Trim is not considered restoration but who knows things change a lot with cgc

This is from CGC's website.

There are 11 basic enhancements that qualify as restoration: color touch, piece fill, tear seals, spine split seals, reinforcement, piece re-attachment, cleaning, staple replacement, re-glossing, glue and trimming.

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/restoration/#:~:text=There are 11 basic enhancements,-glossing%2C glue and trimming.

12 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

This is from CGC's website.

There are 11 basic enhancements that qualify as restoration: color touch, piece fill, tear seals, spine split seals, reinforcement, piece re-attachment, cleaning, staple replacement, re-glossing, glue and trimming.

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/restoration/#:~:text=There are 11 basic enhancements,-glossing%2C glue and trimming.

Bull poop the grass :taptaptap: Happy New Year C@comicdonna

On 1/20/2021 at 3:21 AM, Kelgio82 said:

Here's my contribution to the page. So many things that could be said about this cover good and bad. Lol.  I just know I love me some golden age regardless 

20210108_154343.jpg

Such a wonderful cover‼️👍

Here's a #12 that came out of a recent original owner estate find. There was also a coverless World's Finest #6 in the lot amongst other books... I'm now looking for that cover because the servicemen on that cover appear to be the same as the ones on this. Neat.

IMG_1698.jpg

On 1/19/2021 at 4:17 AM, Professor Chaos said:

lf.jpg

I consider married pages the kiss of death, so would go for trimmed given the choice.