• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

This thread has kind of gotten lost in the shuffle, seems the "show us your Detective Comics thread" is thriving, I love Batman, but I couldn't let him have all the fun, so I thought I'd give this Superman thread a shot in the arm with my latest pick up, and a thousand thanks to the fellow forum member who gave me the info leading to my purchase of it...

6.5 ow/white pages

Superman14.jpg

Edited by thedude

My brain broke looking at your 14. Has this been voted the most classic cover of all time yet?

sorry, didn't mean to break your brain, grin.gif I'm sure if you took a vote for classic cover of all time, you'd get thousands of different opinions, however, for my money (outside of key #1's like Action 1, Batman 1, etc.) this issue along with Superman #24 should be in the top 10-15 of all time...

Edited by thedude

Those classic #1 issues are sort of self generated classics (Action 1 is a classic, Batman or Superman 1 are typical #1 issues, no real artistic jazz) . The #24 is a top 10 in my opinion but pales in comparsion to the 14. I have always thought that classic covers were just that "Classic" There are awesome Horror, Torture, WWII Nazi books but Classic is a category in and of itself and 14 is by far the most classic of all.

For my money, classic covers are either fight scenes or almost artistic poses. I'm thinking of Captain midnight covers, Captain Marvel Jr and master Comics covers. Certain Frazetta Covers. Even typical DC or Marvel classics like Flash 123, certain Batman Bronze, Surfer 4, FF 25 & 112, Spiderman 39 50 etc.

Superman 14 is in a class by itself.

Superman14.jpg

Wow, the colors look great on this one. I've noticed spine roll on many copies of this issue, but the spine on yours is near flawless. A top 5 classic cover of all time. Great collecting grade too - any higher and you'd have to pay a small fortune (I think an 8.5 sold on Comiclink for $8000) Congrats on your purchase.

thanks Durden08, yeah, you can see a little white from the back cover on the spine, but not much and it's centered well, yeah for awhile, with the current prices, I didn't think I'd ever be able to own a copy of this book. I'm so glad I starting coming to these boards...

The covers from 1-26 are some of the best Golden Age covers ever. After that they get more and more goofy. Here are two of the goofiest.

I guess the gag here is that Lois isn't a very good cook and here "hard" muffins hurt Superman. Or that Superman is just poking fun at the fact that he can't be hurt. EIther way its stupid. Notice him winking, you can barely see it.

sup51.jpg

Superman, fully clothed, with a lifeguard hat on. He is very serious though and not distracted by the hot looking babes showing adoration. Thanks for the image, next time just make him gay and get it over with.

sup54.jpg

The covers from 1-26 are some of the best Golden Age covers ever. After that they get more and more goofy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, however, I would include #32 (it tickles lighting cover) as a great cover, and also on my "to buy" list. #28 isn't so bad either...

Edited by thedude