• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

you, me and The Dude, all after the same books!

yes, how true, but those war covers are very cool.. just about every Action collector is going after the war covers...my guess is It's going to be a slow and expensive process seems like the war covers don't come up for sale too often.

yeah, saw the #19, likely out of my price range. Figure the 44 will go for what, $1200 or so?

Nice set! 40 and 44 have proven elusive to me at a decent price. I've been avoiding buying Superman books overall, as they seem relatively easy to find. I figure if I want I can pick them up later. I do have #32 "It Tickles!" and 45, on account of childhood memories of thinking they had cool covers.

Superman #32 is on my want list as well, always loved that cover, the reason I picked up the Supes #14 and #24 now, was because, true they are easier to find right now, but what about 10-15 years down the line, I'm sure Actions were easier to find 10-15 years ago...I remember around 1991 (death of Supes era) my local comic shop had a complete run of Actions from 17-55 I think, maybe not the 23, but he had alot of the war covers, of course back then I didn't have two dimes to rub together...but now that I can purchase a few, they aren't hardly around.

the trick with the Supermans is to get higher grade copies since there are more of them around, but they mostly are low-low grade, last weekend at the Mid-Ohio Con, Graham Crackers had a Supes #14 with the top half of the cover torn off, it only had Supes from the waist down, and they wanted $300 for it ?!?!?!? my #14 is a 6.5 off-white, and my #24 is a 7.0 white.

and I'd say the Action #44 that Heritage has will go between $1,200-$1,400. just my guess.

Edited by thedude

No point collecting a Superman, if you can't see Superman's face! Oh, man. TheDude sucks(this is meant in an envious way). Really, really sucks. A 6.5 Superman #14. That is such a great cover. It amazes me, how much that one goes for. Oh, yeah. Someone had a Superman #14 that was probably in better shape for $89-$100, in the last month.

Edited for the typographically challenged.

Edited by Timulty

let me say that I got extremely lucky with my Supes #14, I got it back in Aug, and at that time Metro had a 6.5 -off-white copy as well and they sold there's for $2,750. I paid slightly, just slightly over half of that price, thanks to a tip from a fellow board member who I will be indebted to forever. here's a pic if you want to see it..

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/toedude/Superman14.jpg

Edited by thedude

the reason I picked up the Supes #14 and #24 now, was because, true they are easier to find right now, but what about 10-15 years down the line, I'm sure Actions were easier to find 10-15 years ago...I remember around 1991 (death of Supes era) my local comic shop had a complete run of Actions from 17-55 I think, maybe not the 23, but he had alot of the war covers, of course back then I didn't have two dimes to rub together...but now that I can purchase a few, they aren't hardly around.

the trick with the Supermans is to get higher grade copies since there are more of them around, but they mostly are low-low grade

well, you can NEVER go wrong with 14 and 24- those classic covers will always be in high demand.

I would think that everything- actions and superman- were easier to find 15 years ago, no? I've been told that the Actions are harder to find overall due to lower print runs. I think 2/3 the print run of Supes?

Personally, I just don't have the moxie to put together a collection of high grade stuff. I'm happier with a larger collection of midgrades. Besides, I'm generally not impressed with the diffference between an 8.5 and a 9.2, for arguments sake. When it gets to that kind of condition discrepancy demanding multiples on price, my brains leak out of my ears.

Edited by mattbird

that is not at all bad.

takeit.gif

exactly, now run out and get ya one..

thumbsup2.gif

There happens to be a Supes #14 cgc 6.5 in the January Heritage auction. Start saving now. poke2.gif

And to answer the question posed, the Actions I currently have are: 15, 17, 20, 22, 27, 29, 30, 35, 43, 53. A couple could use an upgrade.

the reason I picked up the Supes #14 and #24 now, was because, true they are easier to find right now, but what about 10-15 years down the line, I'm sure Actions were easier to find 10-15 years ago...I remember around 1991 (death of Supes era) my local comic shop had a complete run of Actions from 17-55 I think, maybe not the 23, but he had alot of the war covers, of course back then I didn't have two dimes to rub together...but now that I can purchase a few, they aren't hardly around.

the trick with the Supermans is to get higher grade copies since there are more of them around, but they mostly are low-low grade

well, you can NEVER go wrong with 14 and 24- those classic covers will always be in high demand.

I would think that everything- actions and superman- were easier to find 15 years ago, no? I've been told that the Actions are harder to find overall due to lower print runs. I think 2/3 the print run of Supes?

Personally, I just don't have the moxie to put together a collection of high grade stuff. I'm happier with a larger collection of midgrades. Besides, I'm generally not impressed with the diffference between an 8.5 and a 9.2, for arguments sake. When it gets to that kind of condition discrepancy demanding multiples on price, my brains leak out of my ears.

I couldn't agree more, I look at overall eye appeal moreso than CGC grade, if a book is a 4.0 or whatever, but looks nicer, I'll pick it up, us GA collectors don't need to worry too much about grades over 8.5 anyway. 27_laughing.gif

and your right the Actions had lower print runs than the Supermans..