• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is used to be my happy place....
4 4

185 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Very true. As in the music thread over in the Water Cooler, and one song I posted there with the title, 'Language is a Virus'.

That is, online and TV articles provide easy access to conflicting, incendiary or inaccurate information which is widely disseminated in no time at all, a verbal infection leading to so much extreme paranoia.

IMO after this is all said and done I think we all have realized we took extreme measures and worried over a severe flu.  Example, this past Christmas we had a very calm emergency plane landing at the nearest airport because one of the backup generators wasn't working.  Not the main one but the backup.  So for the plane to not have the electricity the main generator would have to blow, the back-up generator (which is why we landed), and then there is a 3rd emergency one to back that one up the captain said.  His said after we landed to us all, "if there is 1% risk we must take 100% avoidance."  IMO that is what USA and the rest of the world is doing. I get it, not complaining, but there isnt a worried bone in my body.  Older population with underlying health conditions I totally get this is big deal, for all the medical field operations, and for Italy (which is one of the oldest population in Europe) this is bad for them, so hopefully they get it under control asap!  What I dont agree with is the comparison with USA and Italy.  That is totally apples and oranges.  We are both socially fundamentally different on the social curve.  They kiss each other when they greet each other, and are much more social than Americans in a much smaller land mass.   Try going up to a stranger and greeting them with a kiss on the cheek in NYC and see what happens! lol

I'll just leave the following here:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

Summary:

Conclusion

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season. This burden was similar to estimated burden during the 2012–2013 influenza season1.

Edited by davidpg

25 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Thanks for all PMs and kind words.

@Iceman399 @bounty_coder @skypinkblu @SpideyFein

I am alive, healthy and well.

Just dealing with lots of work and stress pressure.

As many know, I run a Bridal Wholesale business in Canada and we sell to mostly Mom and Pop stores, who are beginning to feel the brunt of this, with more and more retail stores closing very day, which will trickle back up to their suppliers - same for almost most industries out there - and it's very unnerving to see what is happening. 

On top of this, the plunging Canadian Dollar is just brutal for importers - and believe me US boardies - I can see us Canadians selling books to profit from this FX rate as opposed to us buying books now. It is now costing us about $1.40 to buy  1 USD - that's the problem with much of our economy being based on oil.

The only bright side is that gas is so cheap here now but everyone has no where to go :insane:

The Quebec Government yesterday announced some measures to possibly help everyone so hopefully the Federal Government will follow suit. I think Trudeau is supposed to address this issue today as best as they can.

I have decided to re-read Savage Sword of Conan 1-235 to pass the time. Spidey has always been my main guy but the past few years have had me falling love with Conan again.

For anyone looking to read comics on line - go this this website that I found - they have tons of titles, complete - scanned and ready to read. A great way to re-read old titles or discover new ones.

Readcomiconline.to 

I hope everyone is following the guidelines and being safe and smart.

It is crazy times but we are resilient enough to overcome this.

A bridal wholesale business? That sounds challenging as I am guessing a whole lot of weddings are being canceled. On the other hand, once this health crisis has been resolved I am sure there will be a huge backlog of brides!

And I have never read Savage Sword of Conan (though, ironically, I have read all of the REH novels). I'm assuming they are a good read, where is the best way to start? TPBs or pick up the actual mags?

15 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

A bridal wholesale business? That sounds challenging as I am guessing a whole lot of weddings are being canceled. On the other hand, once this health crisis has been resolved I am sure there will be a huge backlog of brides!

And I have never read Savage Sword of Conan (though, ironically, I have read all of the REH novels). I'm assuming they are a good read, where is the best way to start? TPBs or pick up the actual mags?

I have all the mags as I prefer holding them in hand but many prefer digital. Check the website I mentioned above as they have all the SSOC issues posted. I would start with SSOC #1 and go forward from there. The 1st 50 issues are fantastic, after that it does slow down but they are still good reads.

50 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I have all the mags as I prefer holding them in hand but many prefer digital. Check the website I mentioned above as they have all the SSOC issues posted. I would start with SSOC #1 and go forward from there. The 1st 50 issues are fantastic, after that it does slow down but they are still good reads.

I'll second that.  I collected 1 to 50 as well.  Very consistently readable REH adaptations by Roy Thomas, great art from John Buscema, Neal Adams, Alfredo Alcala, Tony DeZuniga, Frank Brunner and a few others.

Dark Horse's Conan is another good series to consider.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 minutes ago, revat said:

I've been catching up on all the daredevils, which honestly is the most consistently good title of the past 20 years IMO (maybe not the shadowland stuff, but that was at least interesting, if not good).  Go find that Brubaker Daredevil stuff, phenomenal.

+1

For recent material, I'd recommend the Waid / Samnee run as well.

40 minutes ago, revat said:

I've been catching up on all the daredevils, which honestly is the most consistently good title of the past 20 years IMO (maybe not the shadowland stuff, but that was at least interesting, if not good).  Go find that Brubaker Daredevil stuff, phenomenal.

I'd say pretty much anything Brubaker is worth the read.  "Bruce Wayne, Murderer?" and "The Winter Soldier" are great.

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

They also have Omnibus editions available...great stuff!   (thumbsu

I feel for a number of businesses in these times.

This is all extreme but I think it needs to be otherwise I believe the results will be worse. Hopefully governments can assist all in some way. Whether it lasts another month or several, I think things will all bounce back. If you can, enjoy time with immediate family. Enjoy comics. The world is not ending. We are taking a pause but will celebrate sooner than you think. In the meantime, celebrate what we can and focus on the joy instead of the gloom. Stay informed but don't follow coverage 24/7 else you will really feel down.