• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is used to be my happy place....
4 4

185 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

This is true. Coincidentally, curtesy can be just as contagious as any virus!   hm 

If Politenessman were there and saw him narrowly miss running you over, then not even have the manners to excuse himself and beg your indulgence, he would have hurled his steel hanky at him!

I had a similar experience while walking on the sidewalk in front of the post office. A lady pulled into a parking spot as I was walking by...and she ran right over the curb and took out a bicycle post! She came very close to running me over, but I immediately jumped away as fast and as far as I could. Then she backed up and parked in the correct spot. I waited for her to open her door, but she sat in her car, talking on her cell phone like nothing happened. I just shook my head and continued into the post office, but in my mind I was thinking that you never really know when your number will come up, do you? It could be anytime or anywhere. 

At least in the current situation, we've all been warned... 

15 hours ago, slym2none said:

Of course, this could all be fiction (although I doubt it),

(tsk) :smile:

19 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

I prefer conehead, which is by far better than a poorly designed movie goomba. ;)

Several around here begged me to go back to that avatar after I switched out - apparently it fits my on-line persona.

12 hours ago, G G ® said:

I'd like to say something about this chaos we are living in and then I'm out.

I am in a very high risk group, some of you may know, and those who don't I have no intention of boring you with the details.

I am supposed to be in 12 week quarantine for my own protection. Problem is I can't adhere to it. I have a 90 year old mother who can rarely get out, and doesn't really understand the significance or the gravity of the current situation. But guess what? She has to eat like the rest of us.

This morning I had to take her to a local 'mall' crammed with people acting like locusts trying to buy food and supplies. I have to take over and do the shopping while she sits down on a bench 'cos she can barely walk.

So I'm at the checkout, with a fair bit of stuff for my mum and I say to the guy behind me, 'you can go in front of me' cos he only has two items. The guy looks at me as tho' I was a piece of s**t and goes in front of me, doesn't say thanks, kiss my arse or anything.

Meanwhile my mum is sitting at a cafe in the mall and someone comes up and gives her a free cup of tea, asks her if she is alright etc.

Moral of the story:

Doesn't matter how bad the situation, some humans will be wonderful, some will be d**ks.

That is the human condition.

If you are in the very high risk group you should not be around large groups of people, and bringing you elderly mother out with you is just a problematic.  Could you order some food on line?  Have your grocery store assemble the order for you to pick up?  Have another family member do your shopping or pay a high school kid to do your shopping? I know this is very difficult and I'm certainly not in your situation but if I would you I would do ANYTHING to avoid having to go out to a crammed mall.  Anyone else have suggestions for  G C to keep him and his mother safe?

Also, This is going to get worse before it gets better, not to alarm folks but I believe the National Guard will be deployed to help keep folks calm, prevent looting and enforce the closure of business, won't probably announced until the troops are deployed.  Perhaps as soon as later today.

33 minutes ago, slym2none said:
52 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Several around here begged me to go back to that avatar after I switched out - apparently it fits my on-line persona.

Yeah, maybe, but where's Mystie???

:ohnoez:

-slym

Good point - I haven't seen him around in awhile - I wonder what is up with him?

17 hours ago, G G ® said:

I'd like to say something about this chaos we are living in and then I'm out.

I am in a very high risk group, some of you may know, and those who don't I have no intention of boring you with the details.

I am supposed to be in 12 week quarantine for my own protection. Problem is I can't adhere to it. I have a 90 year old mother who can rarely get out, and doesn't really understand the significance or the gravity of the current situation. But guess what? She has to eat like the rest of us.

This morning I had to take her to a local 'mall' crammed with people acting like locusts trying to buy food and supplies. I have to take over and do the shopping while she sits down on a bench 'cos she can barely walk.

So I'm at the checkout, with a fair bit of stuff for my mum and I say to the guy behind me, 'you can go in front of me' cos he only has two items. The guy looks at me as tho' I was a piece of s**t and goes in front of me, doesn't say thanks, kiss my arse or anything.

Meanwhile my mum is sitting at a cafe in the mall and someone comes up and gives her a free cup of tea, asks her if she is alright etc.

Moral of the story:

Doesn't matter how bad the situation, some humans will be wonderful, some will be d**ks.

That is the human condition.

Not to be a nitpicker, and while I understand why you may feel compelled to shop for her, why are you bringing mom? MIne is a shut in right now. Thankfully she lives in a large apartment building, has friends, etc. so I don't need to do  2 hour round trip for every hiccup. And for weeks I have been making sure she has enough non-perishable food (which she had anyway no thanks to me...).

Edited by the blob

4 hours ago, JJ-4 said:

If you are in the very high risk group you should not be around large groups of people, and bringing you elderly mother out with you is just a problematic.  Could you order some food on line?  Have your grocery store assemble the order for you to pick up?  Have another family member do your shopping or pay a high school kid to do your shopping? I know this is very difficult and I'm certainly not in your situation but if I would you I would do ANYTHING to avoid having to go out to a crammed mall.  Anyone else have suggestions for  G C to keep him and his mother safe?

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

Why are you bringing mom? MIne is a shut in right now. Thankfully she lives in a large apartment building, has friends, etc. so I don't need to do  2 hour round trip for every hiccup. And for weeks I have been making sure she has enough non-perishable food (which she had anyway no thanks to me...).

You guys make it sound like I was out on a jolly taking my mother along for the ride.

I visit her 3-4 times per week and I take her all her supplies. However I do not own a car which makes things more difficult. Also my mother may be 90 but she is still her own person and stubborn. She was going stir crazy and wanted to get out the house because she had not been outside for several weeks. She also does not want to lose her mobility in her legs. 

She informed me what she intended to do and I tagged along to protect her from the crowds and push the trolley, and carry all the shopping back because there's no way she would be able to manage it on her own.

I really didn't want to go the indoor mall at all but I had little choice. I couldn't and wouldn't physically restrain her, so I did my duty.

Sometimes life is not so glib or straightforward. Everyone's circumstances are different. 

5 minutes ago, G G ® said:

You guys make it sound like I was out on a jolly taking my mother along for the ride.

I visit her 3-4 times per week and I take her all her supplies. However I do not own a car which makes things more difficult. Also my mother may be 90 but she is still her own person and stubborn. She was going stir crazy and wanted to get out the house because she had not been outside for several weeks. She also does not want to lose her mobility in her legs. 

She informed me what she intended to do and I tagged along to protect her from the crowds and push the trolley, and carry all the shopping back because there's no way she would be able to manage it on her own.

I really didn't want to go the indoor mall at all but I had little choice. I couldn't and wouldn't physically restrain her, so I did my duty.

Sometimes life is not so glib or straightforward. Everyone's circumstances are different. 

I also do the shopping for my parents, I was unable to pick up extra toilet paper or a jalapeno and sausage my mom wanted for beans she was going to make. I went yesterday and didn't find these items at Sam's, I went today however but only found the sausage. In dropping it off, my mom was thankful but wanted to see the stores for herself. I wasn't going to argue, took her to her nearby Albertsons, where she found the jalapeno and saw no toilet paper etc. She thanked me for taking her, sometimes you need to be behind the wheel of your own life in some ways to protect your mental health. Sometimes it's not all cut and dry...

29 minutes ago, G G ® said:

I agree...if your mother wanted to go out, then it is her prerogative...people are allowing Covid19 to turn the world into a prison....

6 hours ago, JJ-4 said:

Here in S.C. not much happening yet. Varies from parent to parent. Well, my Mom's 87. I've got 2 sisters 68 & 66, a bro 65 2 bro in laws 68 & 70. I'm the baby at 50. (thumbsu.  My mom lived through WW2 and having family in it and dying. My own fathers death was difficult at the time for all  of us(1986). My Mom's tough stubborn and about the last person I'd attempt to enforce a stay at home order. Short of armed guard, good luck. Would never work, won't even try. Her philosophy is shes been through tons, whatever this virus is better bring everything it's got in her case. Because she is going to live her life with zero fear. 

21 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I also do the shopping for my parents, I was unable to pick up extra toilet paper or a jalapeno and sausage my mom wanted for beans she was going to make. I went yesterday and didn't find these items at Sam's, I went today however but only found the sausage. In dropping it off, my mom was thankful but wanted to see the stores for herself. I wasn't going to argue, took her to her nearby Albertsons, where she found the jalapeno and saw no toilet paper etc. She thanked me for taking her, sometimes you need to be behind the wheel of your own life in some ways to protect your mental health. Sometimes it's not all cut and dry...

try putting up with a 102 year old mother that reverts to her native gaelic  whenever she is pizzed off, which lately is every time she is taken somewhere. i did the only thing i could last night. i watched throw momma off the train for ideas and inspiration.