• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is used to be my happy place....
4 4

185 posts in this topic

Easier said than done but limit your media check ins. Be it twitter, facebook, tv, whatever it may be. In my case what i'm doing with the time I normally devoted to those I'm now using to spend w/ my 87 yr old Mom. A little TCM watching, a little ID Channel watching etc. Whatever it may be that you like to do, and will ease the mind. And yeah I saw some snark comments above. This is one of the best boards I visit. Please limit the snark if we can, this is new ground for everybody.   :foryou:

15 hours ago, the blob said:

China shut down a city of 11 million to control this and basically shut down a region of 60 million.

11 million? 60 million? With China's vast population, estimates ranging from as low as 1.5 to as high as 3 billion,  a region of 11 million is about the US population equivalent of Sheriff Andy Taylor putting Mayberry on lockdown. :grin:

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

11 million? 60 million? With China's vast population, estimates ranging from as low as 1.5 to as high as 3 billion,  a region of 11 million is about the US population equivalent of Sheriff Andy Taylor putting Mayberry on lockdown. :grin:

that was good.

Just now, James J Johnson said:

Nobody estimates china has a population of 3 billion. It has a population under 1.5 billion. No, 11 million is like putting Chicago on lockdown. 60 million is like putting a big chunk of the NYC metro area under lockdown (which may be happening).

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

Nobody estimates china has a population of 3 billion. It has a population under 1.5 billion. No, 11 million is like putting Chicago on lockdown. 60 million is like putting a big chunk of the NYC metro area under lockdown (which may be happening).

Yeah. I've read that. I've also heard it. They've had 6 census takings there and I believe they're working on another and what I've heard from more than one source is that the entire process leaves a lot to be desired and inaccuracies abound for various reasons, some of which are subjects not within forum principles to go into in any detail.

Yeah. I've read that. I've also heard it. They've had 6 census takings there and I believe they're working on another and what I've heard from more than one source is that the entire process leaves a lot to be desired and inaccuracies abound for various reasons, some of which are subjects not within forum principles to go into in any detail.

Someone in my office building tested positive, though not a co-worker, thankfully, and someone in the building across the street. Of course, I have no idea if same elevator bank. Irritating thing is the elevator buttons often do not work when pressed with a gloved finger or sleeve, they want flesh. And yes, I know, chances of hospitalization even if you do get sick are not so high, maybe 5-10%, but....

22 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

With the world falling apart, I seem to have lost my desire to visit the boards as much as I used.

I hope this will change sooner than later but for now my heart isn’t in it, which is too bad as I love this hobby but other worries have taken over, especially when day to day life as we know seems to be changing every minute.

Stay safe everyone and hopefully life will return to normal sooner than later.

If it makes you feel better you can help me plan costumes and funny hats to wear in my video conferences every day for the next few weeks.

BTW... does anyone have a Sgt Pepper costume that they don't need?  Asking for a 'friend'.

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If it makes you feel better you can help me plan costumes and funny hats to wear in my video conferences every day for the next few weeks.

BTW... does anyone have a Sgt Pepper costume that they don't need?  Asking for a 'friend'.

Image result for abe lincoln hat  Image result for mage hatImage result for pirate hatImage result for knight helmImage result for scottish hatImage result for egyptian hatImage result for chinese hatImage result for cowboy hatImage result for police hatImage result for fireman hat

Here ya go, 10 business days worth of hats!

Positives for

15 minutes ago, the blob said:

Someone in my office building tested positive, though not a co-worker, thankfully, and someone in the building across the street. Of course, I have no idea if same elevator bank. Irritating thing is the elevator buttons often do not work when pressed with a gloved finger or sleeve, they want flesh. And yes, I know, chances of hospitalization even if you do get sick are not so high, maybe 5-10%, but....

Hang in there. Mrs., and I attended a major conference (10k attendees) where someone had it. Here we are, three weeks later, and there hasn’t been a single additional case identified from that same conference. And believe me, the media was looking. All will be well 👍

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

That sounds like fun. You can take the first minute to deliver a public service announcement about washing hands and social distancing. You can wear a sun costume like this and call the segment, "Cory the Coronavirus' helpful hints to keep me at bay".  :facepalm: 

shopping.jpg

That sounds like fun. You can take the first minute to deliver a public service announcement about washing hands and social distancing. You can wear a sun costume like this and call the segment, "Cory the Coronavirus' helpful hints to keep me at bay".  :facepalm: 

shopping.jpg

lol Nah... I am going to wear whatever and not say a word or make mention of it even though it is obviously there.  I encouraged others in my department to do the same. 

As of now, I think it is going to be Pirate Day for the first day.  The sick part of me wants this to go to May though so I have an excuse to buy a Darth Vader helmet or something for Star Wars day... 

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

I think there are a lot of people who have been putting trust in supposedly fair and balanced media reports and supposedly very honest guy politicians that are now confronting a reality that is at odds with what they'd been told and believed.  Those same media outlets and politicians are now telling folks the opposite of what they told them as recently as two weeks ago.  Thus, folks are now being confronted with facts and admissions that undermine the story line they'd been told for years.  That is a startling event.  It is going to take some of those folks a while to get adjusted.  I found the poster's comment a refreshing bit of honesty, not a comment that deserves ridicule or disrespect.

Whether we like it or not, we're all in this together.  Be nice.

And the outlets that night after night held up Michael Avennati as a legitimate presidential hopeful, have they done much to maintain a modicum of credibility over the past few years? They don't try to report the news: they traffic in hyperbole that passes as analysis to boost their ratings and fill their corporate coffers. Other examples of their misinformation are legion, but what's the advantage of going off into these tangential weeds if not to pick at the same old scabs?

I've always thought you have interesting points to share, but overwhelmingly so when objectivity guides your musings, not when you're looking to score thinly-veiled political points. :foryou:

Edited by PopKulture

50 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

To put things in perspective, US corona-attributed deaths so far is now at 117. Traffic accidents killed about 40,000 last year in the US and murders (reported homicides) claimed another 4,000. So if we can maintain the mortality rate for Covid19 at its current pace, even if it takes all year for it to wind down, automobile and murder deaths will outweigh Covid deaths by about 40 to 1 at the virus' current pace..

You are focusing on deaths. Hospitalization due to pneumonia can be brutal. And yes, traffic deaths are An epidemic too. 

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
6 hours ago, revat said:

Go find that Brubaker Daredevil stuff, phenomenal.

+1

+2