• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is used to be my happy place....
4 4

185 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Right. Because that's what everyone is doing. 9_9

Frankly, people have been better behaved through this than they are though a Black Friday store sale.

That might be true....but we have a lot of audacious shoppers out there, and their behavior isn't out of altruism.

7 hours ago, PopKulture said:

They took it seriously? It that seriously your position?

They tried to hide, deny, obfuscate and cover up at every turn the true import of the outbreak for well over a month. And they're still playing games.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your position, but to say China's been straight with everyone by sending planeloads of infected workers to their dutiful stations in the textile mills in Italy while continuing to look the other way is laughable. 

This is a crisis. Mistakes will be made - everywhere, but to call out only the people with whom you disagree most as a natural course of action is disingenuous, and frankly adds to the sort of morass that's got the OP feeling down in the first place. 

Most of us come here to talk about comics books; when we do venture off that path it should be with a forward-looking bent, and a nod to what is good in our community - hence, my original objection to the intentional waft of politics.  2c

the picture you use, is it dobie gillis? it looks like it. i know it is not maynard krebs.

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Went to the park today to walk the mongrels around 2:30. I was shocked to see so many people there. Kids riding their bikes with their dads, dogs running around and people just wanting to get out for a while. Usually on a Wednesday, there is no one there. Made me feel better.

My neighborhood is great. Neighbors helping each other and talking from 6 feet away. Somebody, suggested hanging up some Christmas lights to brighten the mood. Might do it tomorrow. Not much better to do...

I'm stuck working from home, so taking my lunch to the park has been a good way to out of the house. New York State opened all of the NYS parks and are not charging fees (usually $8 a car) during this time. The state park near me was full of people and puppies, it actually felt like a normal spring day there were so many people outside.

3 hours ago, wilbil said:

the picture you use, is it dobie gillis? it looks like it. i know it is not maynard krebs.

That is pretty funny! I never saw the resemblance before... No, it's from an old razor blade package, from all the other junk I collect. I have been watching a lot of Dobie re-runs, though, so your guess is well timed. All Dobie had to worry about was his lack of money and how he was going to impress Thalia and get Zelda off his back. There were no pandemics and quarantines and market meltdowns - just his miserly dad to worry about. :nyah:

14 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

That is pretty funny! I never saw the resemblance before... No, it's from an old razor blade package, from all the other junk I collect. I have been watching a lot of Dobie re-runs, though, so your guess is well timed. All Dobie had to worry about was his lack of money and how he was going to impress Thalia and get Zelda off his back. There were no pandemics and quarantines and market meltdowns - just his miserly dad to worry about. :nyah:

thank you, and to be clear, i was serious. when i saw the picture and the "popkulture" name, i thought hmmmmm, this person knows about dobie, because it was certainly pop kulture at the time, not to mention the comics. your take on the show is spot on, and we have to remember that maynard was the draw. everybody ever had a maynard friend.

12 hours ago, PopKulture said:

They took it seriously? It that seriously your position?

They tried to hide, deny, obfuscate and cover up at every turn the true import of the outbreak for well over a month. And they're still playing games.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your position, but to say China's been straight with everyone by sending planeloads of infected workers to their dutiful stations in the textile mills in Italy while continuing to look the other way is laughable. 

This is a crisis. Mistakes will be made - everywhere, but to call out only the people with whom you disagree most as a natural course of action is disingenuous, and frankly adds to the sort of morass that's got the OP feeling down in the first place. 

Most of us come here to talk about comics books; when we do venture off that path it should be with a forward-looking bent, and a nod to what is good in our community - hence, my original objection to the intentional waft of politics.  2c

I don't understand your point. They took it seriously after not taking it seriously. They waited too long, but then went hardcore. I have read nothing about infected textile workers. (And basically the only reference I see is on some reddit forum... that Italy has/had Chinese textile workers who were immigrants does not mean planes were being loaded up in January to go to Italy) I thought they linked it to tourists (which seems pretty feasible, tons of Chinese tourists in Italy, it's a beautiful place to visit)? Again, trying to paint these as "partisan" issues sounds silly. If hotspots had been in Kentucky and Indiana or wherever rather than Seattle and New York I think we would see less accusations of partisanship. The Admin seems to be taking appropriate steps now.  I am sure this is a big picture move as this will be used as ammunition in future trade wars. I don't know how much of our critical medical stuff is not made in the USA (or at least Canada or maybe Mexico), but it does seem we should never allow this to be an issue in the future.

Edited by the blob

22 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Isn't TV life great? Too bad reality is never just like that...

-slym

10 minutes ago, slym2none said:

Isn't TV life great? Too bad reality is never just like that...

-slym

it was for a brief time, though, and then wham, media went from 4 vhf channels and 2 uhf channels to 24hr. blahblahblah 14 million channels and tracy watches.

13 hours ago, the blob said:

My wife dressed as Ebola to a Halloween party 4 or 5 years ago. There were doctors there dressed as Ebola patients and doctors coveted in blood. Terrible

Humor can be used to deal with risk, uncertainty, loss.  Not that big of deal.

19 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

lol Nah... I am going to wear whatever and not say a word or make mention of it even though it is obviously there.  I encouraged others in my department to do the same. 

As of now, I think it is going to be Pirate Day for the first day.  The sick part of me wants this to go to May though so I have an excuse to buy a Darth Vader helmet or something for Star Wars day... 

I have the Vader helm!

3 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Like I have ever tried it on?  NOPE.  But with my gigantic noggin I highly doubt it.

lol I was curious is all, and your beard! Ha

I had the Iron Man Marvel Legends helmet I think it was, I've since sold it, got my money back. It did fit me though and my head is rather big as well, as craniums go lol 

Also it made sounds as if the suit was transforming, would make an interesting office conference call :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 hours ago, JJ-4 said:

Humor can be used to deal with risk, uncertainty, loss.  Not that big of deal.

Seemed funny at the time because other than  few Alex Jones types the feeling was that Ebola wasn't likely landing here

21 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:

It's been stressful for everyone, hang in there!

It's inevitable that we will all 'bite the bullet' one day, We can take precautions, measures, whatever you will with this 'virus' but the worst thing we can do is allow it to change our way of life.

It cannot be otherwise, we will die, but we might as well be happy while we live. What is the point of going out of our way and living in constant fear?

On Monday morning I left the supermarket with my resupplies and was waiting for a taxi to arrive.  Just as I was about to go over to get in, a motorcyclist mounted the pavement directly in front of me without slowing down, in order then to slam his brakes on and park at the store's cycle racks, missing me by a very, very small margin.  Because I'm ordinarily a bit disconnected from what's going on around me due to autism and was focused on the taxi, I was completely unaware of his approach and could easily have moved an inch or two straight into his path and been mowed down.  He just had an angry, 'screw-you' sort of look on his face and walked off.  Sometimes animals can be far worse risks than viruses, although I suspect the latter has a higher IQ in this case.

There's still the freak accident, Final Destination Effect in play during these difficult times.

Edited by Ken Aldred