• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damaged by crooked encapsulation?

9 posts in this topic

Just got my first copy back from CGC, Star Trek #1. (I also had CCS press and clean it.)

Overall, I'm pleased. The process was fairly quick and painless.

However... clearly the copy was placed inside the case quite crooked. Look at the attached photo and note the gap between the lower-left and lower-right corners, and the inside bottom of the case. Not even close to a straight line.

Aesthetically, this is somewhat bothersome, but I can get over it. However, I'm really concerned that the copy was damaged because the case seems to be crushing the top of the paper.

Look at the attached before & after photos of the top / spine, back of copy. Something is definitely not right here. At the very least, this is sloppy work. Potentially, the copy was damaged and I will regret ever sending it in.

So now what do I do? Should I contact CGC customer service, or will they basically tell me it's not their fault? Worried.

(And in case anyone from CGC sees this, the order number was CGC2929824302 and the certification # is 2103141001.)

2020-03-18 16.00.47.jpg

Gold Key 01.jpg

It's hard to tell from the angle of the photos but the book looks like it may have a natural production miscut. If so, they can be difficult to entomb as they can be too tall for the holder. Any chance of more photos - full book and laying flat / not at an angle?