• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spidey defeated Corona and her virus 30 years ago.
1 1

16 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kav said:

ugh that artwork.  and why is hair so hard to draw for 98% of comic artists?

I grew up reading the majority of Sal Buscema’s run.  He had a definitive style that stands out like so many other Spidey artists over the years (Ditko, Romita, Kane, McFarlane, Larson, Bagley, JrJr, Ramos, etc.), I respect these artists who brought a unique style to some of the most popular books and had long runs of success. 

Edited by XxSpideyxX

Nicely spotted comic book connection there.

I don’t mind Sal’s artwork at all.  For me he’s associated with some very good Spider-Man stories during the 80s / 90s period, especially J M DeMatteis’  psychodramas.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/18/2020 at 11:23 PM, XxSpideyxX said:

I grew up reading the majority of Sal Buscema’s run.  He had a definitive style that stands out like so many other Spidey artists over the years (Ditko, Romita, Kane, McFarlane, Larson, Bagley, JrJr, Ramos, etc.), I respect these artists who brought a unique style to some of the most popular books and had long runs of success. 

Harry Osborn's corn rows always annoyed me

On 3/19/2020 at 5:57 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Nicely spotted comic book connection there.

I don’t mind Sal’s artwork at all.  For me he’s associated with some very good Spider-Man stories during the 80s / 90s period, especially J M DeMatteis’  psychodramas.

I'm the same way.  I started collecting late 80's early 90's and those Spectacular Spider-Man books were actually some of my favorite to read at that time-  Especially those issues with Tombstone and Punisher.  

On 3/21/2020 at 12:17 PM, Von Cichlid said:

I'm the same way.  I started collecting late 80's early 90's and those Spectacular Spider-Man books were actually some of my favorite to read at that time-  Especially those issues with Tombstone and Punisher.  

The Captain Universe Spideys were really hot for a minute there during Acts of Vengeance.

7 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The Captain Universe Spideys were really hot for a minute there during Acts of Vengeance.

I loved Acts of Vengeance, such fond memories.  Punisher 28 has such an awesome cover, Spider-Man versus Magneto was cool as was X-Men 256-258.  Even Wolverine versus Tiger Shark was cool.  

8 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

So Mr Fantastic will create the vaccine, hurry up !!

Vaccine out there just needs trials and tests 

16 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

This has heated up. :facepalm:

WRT Sal Buscema, not being able to draw well is not a "style" :devil:

I was never a fan of Sal's art. He was good at the basics, but not a good completist. He should have just been used for layouts and let someone else finish it. Look how much nicer the art looks from these pages of Avengers #71, versus what's in those Spectacular Spider-Man pages. You can still tell it's Sal, but it's worked and detailed so much better.

449445024_avengers71splash.jpg.1cf66e08bb6ed84893f426711bf599cb.jpg389987840_avengers71.jpg.bd69a134ba92f5b87196a60e60ca62a1.jpg.