• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA to first Flash Gordon strip up for auction!

19 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, batman_fan said:

That is pretty amazing !

Exquisite artistry and historical story telling. With worrying over the care of my elderly in-laws during these difficult times, this is a neat distraction. I shared the existence of this with them and they found it remarkable as do I.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, Mmehdy said:

Any predictions on price?

From an historic point of view it can't be beat.  Art is top notch but subject/layout wise there are way better Raymond Flash Gordons out there but really - are there any bad Raymond Gordons?  No.

History will drive the price of this particular piece rather than the subject/layout...

Edited by pemart1966

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

From an historic point of view it can't be beat.  Art is top notch but subject/layout wise there are way better Raymond Flash Gordons out there but really - are there any bad Raymond Gordons?  No.

History will drive the price of this particular piece rather than the subject/layout...

The miminun bid is 400K..however there is a 28%BP plus in Ca 10% sales tax...I could see with 500K but it over that...do you think the min bid price is unrealistic

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

The miminun bid is 400K..however there is a 28%BP plus in Ca 10% sales tax...I could see with 500K but it over that...do you think the min bid price is unrealistic

Flash Gordon is a dead title right now BUT Raymond FGs ALWAYS seem to do well when they come up for auction.

You're right.  Minimum bid will put the bidder well over $ 1/2 million - very ambitious IMO.

I can't tell anything about paper quality from the photo - is it in any way brittle? 

1st Jungle Jim strip sells for $75K hammer

1st Flash strip sells for $400K hammer

I believe the other lots passed, but, I was only half-looking after the first two lots above.  

Both of those sold at the low end of the estimate range, which I'm pretty sure were the reserve prices.  I'm pretty sure the "underbids" were chandelier bids, as the iCollector interface didn't even let you put in a bid beneath $75K for the Jungle Jim (didn't notice if $400K was the starting bid for the Flash, but, I suspect it was).  

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

1st Jungle Jim strip sells for $75K hammer

1st Flash strip sells for $400K hammer

I believe the other lots passed, but, I was only half-looking after the first two lots above.  

Both of those sold at the low end of the estimate range, which I'm pretty sure were the reserve prices.  I'm pretty sure the "underbids" were chandelier bids, as the iCollector interface didn't even let you put in a bid beneath $75K for the Jungle Jim (didn't notice if $400K was the starting bid for the Flash, but, I suspect it was).  

Who cares.   A half mil for a Flash Gordon in the middle of economic concerns is pretty great!   Even if there were no other bids!

Ehh, I think we both read the posts more negatively then they were intended.   The focus the last couple weeks has been on the downside but when I reread your post it’s more neutral than I read on the first pass.   And similarly, when I said who cares, I wasn’t trying to be negative about your report, just pointing out that whether the underbids were chandelier or not, it’s still a nice number in uncertain times!   

On 3/31/2020 at 5:12 PM, zhamlau said:

550k total? 

If I had it I would have done it. Permanent collection. That is, I would keep them until I die and then Mrs. Grape Ape would probably sell them at a 25% devaluation + 20% to auctioneers.

sigh

On 3/31/2020 at 10:47 PM, Bronty said:

Ehh, I think we both read the posts more negatively then they were intended.   The focus the last couple weeks has been on the downside but when I reread your post it’s more neutral than I read on the first pass.   And similarly, when I said who cares, I wasn’t trying to be negative about your report, just pointing out that whether the underbids were chandelier or not, it’s still a nice number in uncertain times!   

It's probably not that uncertain for people who have the money and can get the artwork. There was that guy who made people upset posting a picture of his yacht in the middle of the Caribbean.