• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Health advice re: packages & COVID-19
5 5

137 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, buttock said:

NEJM published data this week showing that the virus can live on cardboard for at least 24 hours.  Packages will be going through high-traffic facilities and a lot of hands, so it's quite possible that they could be colonized.  I would advise that you make sure that you try and keep packages out of your house, give them a day or two to decontaminate in a garage or back porch before handling, and wash your hands and discard packaging immediately after opening.  

Good luck and stay safe. 

How about opening the packages outside, discarding the wrappings and then leaving them in your house (washing your hands multiple times in between all these steps, or using gloves?

I've been leaving packages on a shelf for 3 or 4 days, not thinking about not bringing them inside so thanks for the advice Dan! This sounds better.

Of course not everyone has a house, if you live in an apartment, this could be tricky.

11 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Plus, @buttock  would this apply to mail as well?

Unfortunately yes.  

Wiping a cardboard box down with a bleach wipe would be reasonable as well.  Your idea of opening it outside and immediately discarding reduces risk, but you would have to get the contents out and unwrapped without transferring any bugs.  

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

I have all my packages delivered to my 82 year old mother who then ages them in her apartment for 1-2 months before I visit and pick them up. Do you think this is a bad idea nowadays?

10% risk of death over 80. 

4 minutes ago, buttock said:
16 minutes ago, the blob said:

I have all my packages delivered to my 82 year old mother who then ages them in her apartment for 1-2 months before I visit and pick them up. Do you think this is a bad idea nowadays?

10% risk of death over 80. 

tenor.gif?itemid=14391548

-slym

6 minutes ago, buttock said:

Unfortunately yes.  

Wiping a cardboard box down with a bleach wipe would be reasonable as well.  Your idea of opening it outside and immediately discarding reduces risk, but you would have to get the contents out and unwrapped without transferring any bugs.  

Well, I just transferred the box I had in my hallway where I dumped today's package into the garage. 

I guess it's too late for the other stuff, although I opened the packages and even lysoled the scissors...

I have a tendency to over clean...but it doesn't seem like even that is enough.

2 hours ago, buttock said:

NEJM published data this week showing that the virus can live on cardboard for at least 24 hours.  Packages will be going through high-traffic facilities and a lot of hands, so it's quite possible that they could be colonized.  I would advise that you make sure that you try and keep packages out of your house, give them a day or two to decontaminate in a garage or back porch before handling, and wash your hands and discard packaging immediately after opening.  

Good luck and stay safe. 

This does not address any virus on the contents like the bubble wrap or slab.

2 hours ago, buttock said:

Good luck and stay safe. 

Most handlers have always worn gloves. Today I’m sure it’s mandatory,