• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Health advice re: packages & COVID-19
5 5

137 posts in this topic

The sender could have sneezed as he was packing it up too.  Might be corona germs in the dead air space of the package.  

True story :  I bought an old cartoon Pepsi glass on ebay once and when it arrived it was wrapped in really old dry newspaper with a freaking Black Widow spider in it !! :whatthe:

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

How about opening the packages outside, discarding the wrappings and then leaving them in your house (washing your hands multiple times in between all these steps, or using gloves?

I've been leaving packages on a shelf for 3 or 4 days, not thinking about not bringing them inside so thanks for the advice Dan! This sounds better.

Of course not everyone has a house, if you live in an apartment, this could be tricky.

I have just been spraying my mail with spermicide, and I have not got pregnant yet.

It pays to be careful. :sumo: 

54 minutes ago, buttock said:

Those wouldn't survive transit. 

What's the mechanism that is killing it.  It can survive on indoor surfaces for 9 days (or so?) and right now transit can be pretty fast and at low temperature.

2 hours ago, wilbil said:

nitrile or latex exam gloves. latex not my first choice. discard after use. for that matter, use for everything.

Wow - is that why you felt so different last time?  :smirk:

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:
4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

How about opening the packages outside, discarding the wrappings and then leaving them in your house (washing your hands multiple times in between all these steps, or using gloves?

I've been leaving packages on a shelf for 3 or 4 days, not thinking about not bringing them inside so thanks for the advice Dan! This sounds better.

Of course not everyone has a house, if you live in an apartment, this could be tricky.

I have just been spraying my mail with spermicide, and I have not got pregnant yet.

It pays to be careful. :sumo: 

Do you get that from Oakman ? 

We should just man up .... open the packages, enjoy reading our comics,

and laugh at the 1diots bulk buying dunny paper and just hope that they are also buying condoms so the can't breed.

Edited by ausXwing
spelling

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:

This does not address any virus on the contents like the bubble wrap or slab.

But this suggestion would..

5 hours ago, the blob said:

Set the box on fire. The virus does not like extreme heat.

Haha.. think they did this before 20200320_005106.jpg.849f8d51451221288883fea98e462042.jpg

Besides no need to worry about it as long as you sterilize the air you breathe may I recommend using this fire method..20200320_005311.jpg.f9bd351605be3c67336cee4b16ac5707.jpg

And speaking of packaging...20200209_210455.jpg.622251e6e5e71324950ab7b553ad5d38.jpg

8 hours ago, adamstrange said:

What's the mechanism that is killing it.  It can survive on indoor surfaces for 9 days (or so?) and right now transit can be pretty fast and at low temperature.

I don't think so. In lab trials it lasted 4-8 hrs on copper, less than a day on cardboard and two days on plastic and steel.

755212615_SARS2onsurfaces.thumb.JPG.528b3d1b788766ee2e7ebe60af778772.JPG

An aqueous mixture of urea, chloride, sodium, potassium, and creatinine is extremely effective. Spray package from approximately 3 ft distance. It's an easily accessible admixture to which almost everyone has access. (Exceptions of course are those with end-stage renal disease and the extremely dehydrated). 

Edited by comicparadox
Attempting font uniformity

3 minutes ago, comicparadox said:

Aqueous mixture of urea, chloride, sodium, potassium, creatinine is extremely effective. Spray package from approximately 3 ft distance. It's an easily accessible admixture to which almost everyone has access. (Exceptions of course are those with end-stage renal disease and the extremely dehydrated). 

Women may have problems with the whole 3 ft distance thing though.

2 hours ago, AJD said:

I don't think so. In lab trials it lasted 4-8 hrs on copper, less than a day on cardboard and two days on plastic and steel.

755212615_SARS2onsurfaces.thumb.JPG.528b3d1b788766ee2e7ebe60af778772.JPG

Exactly.  Anything inside the package should die in transit.  It's the outside you really need to worry about.