• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four #48 CGC 9.4
1 1

20 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Brown27 said:

Trying to find  a Ff #48 CGC 9.4, any suggestions? Thanks.

What are you looking at price wise? I have one that can be purchased for the right price. PM me.

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Yeah, throw a rock and you're bound to hit one.  One of the most slabbed SA books in 9.4 or better in existence.

It's not that bad. So far only 120 copies in 9.4, so demand should still be higher than supply on it.

Edited by kimik

22 hours ago, kimik said:
23 hours ago, tth2 said:

Yeah, throw a rock and you're bound to hit one.  One of the most slabbed SA books in 9.4 or better in existence.

It's not that bad. So far only 120 copies in 9.4, so demand should still be higher than supply on it.

I didn't say they go for cheap.  Just that they're not hard to find in 9.4 or above.

19 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Registration is a big factor with that issue. I’d take a pretty 9.0 with a perfect wrap over a misaligned 9.4.

2c

Really,  All the copies I've seen have had excellent register, Do you even know what registration is?  

Not that may more. I know of three people that submitted copies they “cherry picked” from a stack that supposedly came from that find back in the day. They came back 9.0, 9.0, 9.2. Warehouse find does not mean printing press fresh NM.

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

Really,  All the copies I've seen have had excellent register, Do you even know what registration is?  

I’m probably misusing the word. I meant having a full, squared-off cover image. 
What are the correct terms?

8 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Oh yeah. Registration has to do with the printing matching up with the line art, right? Is the cover I described just a good  wrap?

What you mean is a well centered cover.  Register is when all 4 colors on the book line up with each other. 

This is an example of bad registration. 

images.jpg

Edited by Kevin76

11 hours ago, kimik said:

Not that may more. I know of three people that submitted copies they “cherry picked” from a stack that supposedly came from that find back in the day. They came back 9.0, 9.0, 9.2. Warehouse find does not mean printing press fresh NM.

Sigh, you're going to make me actually check the Census.

9.4 - 120

9.6 - 92

9.8 - 38

I don't know how you define "many more", but to me that is "many more" for a SA book.

13 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I’m probably misusing the word. I meant having a full, squared-off cover image. 

You used the term registration correctly. Staples are often off center as well.

Many copies are miswrapped or miscut in my experience as well and they are tough to find with minimal printing defects.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You used the term registration correctly. Staples are often off center as well.

Many copies are miswrapped or miscut in my experience as well and they are tough to find with minimal printing defects.

No, he didn't used the word correctly. I showed and example of what bad (really bad) registration looks like.  

Covers aren't lined up because the ribbon (the paper) isn't lined up with where it's being folded, There is a control on the ribbon deck that allows you to move it, since press operators back in the day were more worried about snorting coke on the control console than they were watching the quality of the product being produced, that's why the cover is off. While they good enough to put on the skid and ship out the door, they weren't exactly worried about "if these things were gonna be worth something one day"   

On 3/21/2020 at 9:29 PM, tth2 said:

Sigh, you're going to make me actually check the Census.

9.4 - 120

9.6 - 92

9.8 - 38

I don't know how you define "many more", but to me that is "many more" for a SA book.

I know a dealer that was in CA in the late 1980s when another dealer was selling Fantastic Four 48 from a huge bulk find.  Also had a ton of Batman 200s and Batman 1966 3D.  He picked the highest grade copies.  I didn't get any of the FF 48s but I snagged a Batman 200 and Batman 1966 3D.  He was charging over guide for them.  The FF48 had well over 100 copies.  Batman was around 100 and the Batman 3D was from an unopened display box.  He got 4 copies and the box but sold the box before I go a chance to see it.  I still have the Batman 3D, it is in unread condition with the glasses attached.  I think there were 24 copies in the box.

43 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I know a dealer that was in CA in the late 1980s when another dealer was selling Fantastic Four 48 from a huge bulk find.  Also had a ton of Batman 200s and Batman 1966 3D.  He picked the highest grade copies.  I didn't get any of the FF 48s but I snagged a Batman 200 and Batman 1966 3D.  He was charging over guide for them.  The FF48 had well over 100 copies.  Batman was around 100 and the Batman 3D was from an unopened display box.  He got 4 copies and the box but sold the box before I go a chance to see it.  I still have the Batman 3D, it is in unread condition with the glasses attached.  I think there were 24 copies in the box.

Sure there was a find, Doesn't mean all those copies found are still in thier NM state after all this time.