• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: bad idea or worst idea ever from Marvel?
1 1

161 posts in this topic

Sheesh, I hope so.  The line between inventing heroes who aren't us but inspire us -- or who are us and offer hope for us -- is tricky; as they say in Spinal Tap, "there's a fine line between clever...and stupid."

These creations fall on the second side of the line.  What's next?  "IPhony" and "Trigger Warning"?

15 hours ago, kav said:

There were plenty of good books put out like Ultimates and civil war but not so much recently.  Ever since marvel went full SJW its beeen nothing but facepalm stuff with a few exceptions.  

The problem is not politics.  It is that Marvel does not know how to freshen up its ideas.  They are great at exploiting their successes (X-Men saturation being the best example).  But, let's face it, Marvel's fundamental DNA was trend follower.  They jump on every trend they can to make money.   It is capitalism overcoming art at its worst.  This looks like another bad example of that.  Usually Marvel redeems itself by executing its trend following really well, often better than the trend they are following (e.g. Captain America > The Shield or FF > JLA).  

I give huge kudos to DC for the risks they've taken (publishing Superman and Miller's Batman and Watchmen, to name a few). Which is not to say Marvel has not put out some great product, they have.  

I'm still not that impressed with the power descriptions.  Instantaneous access to Google rather than it taking me five seconds to open an app and access it on my smartphone.  Not exactly as impressive as x-ray vision.

Edited by Ken Aldred

10 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The problem is not politics.  It is that Marvel does not know how to freshen up its ideas.  They are great at exploiting their successes (X-Men saturation being the best example).  But, let's face it, Marvel's fundamental DNA was trend follower.  They jump on every trend they can to make money.   It is capitalism overcoming art at its worst.  This looks like another bad example of that.  Usually Marvel redeems itself by executing its trend following really well, often better than the trend they are following (e.g. Captain America > The Shield or FF > JLA).  

I give huge kudos to DC for the risks they've taken (publishing Superman and Miller's Batman and Watchmen, to name a few). Which is not to say Marvel has not put out some great product, they have.  

Politics is a story killer every single time.  It lands with a thud wherever it rears its ugly head-comics, movies, the boards.  A story's function is to entertain-not preach.

10 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'm still not that impressed with the power descriptions.  Instantaneous access to Google rather than it taking me five seconds to open an app and access it on my smartphone.  Not exactly as impressive as x-ray vision.

"I know lets do a MODERN group that's MODERNLY aware of MODERN things like google n stuff!" :facepalm:

10 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

A really great example of a new storyline that earned knee jerk reactions by fans who can't handle new ideas.  They were wrong.

Just because onenew idea worked does not mean all new ideas will work if you give em time.  This will not and cannot work, ever.

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

'Her “magic backpack” is actually a pocket dimension with seemingly infinite space, from which she can pull out useful or random objects—it’s not always under her control.'

Accessing random objects doesn't sound like a particularly useful ability, and, against the wrong opponent, potentially fatal. For example, against Thanos you'd want to specifically retrieve an Infinity Gem, not get a potato instead.

*pulls out giant buzzing phallus 

40 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

A really great example of a new storyline that earned knee jerk reactions by fans who can't handle new ideas.  They were wrong.

I just don't care for the 'Spiderman 2.0' aspect.    Peter Parker is not irrelevant, never has been.  The fact that they felt a need to freshen up the man behind the mask, is more pandering to a new audience imho.   Miles should have been created as something, just no need for his Spidey Jr. backstory.   But  I guess if Safespace and Snowflake are the best Marvel can do, then I guess Spidey Jr. it is. 

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

*pulls out giant buzzing phallus 

Unfortunately it's a Marvel book we are discussing here, not one from Image Comics or Avatar, so I didn't make that suggestion.

A spud seemed more likely.