• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: bad idea or worst idea ever from Marvel?
1 1

161 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, kav said:
7 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

You could not be more wrong.  Politics is what has infused many of our greatest comics, television, and movies.  This really is not subject to debate.   Do I really need to say EC Comics, X-Men, Watchmen, Miller's Batman, etc.?  At their height they are all explicitly political or political allegories.  The original superhero Social Justice Warrior was Superman.  Captain America was punching white supremacist antisemitism in the face before the U.S. formally entered WWII.  EC was putting out anti-war comics in the shadow of WWII.  I could go on and on and on.  If you dig Ewoks, that's cool, but don't pretend a LOT of great comics have political content.

I guess I cant explain it well-there's good politics and there's bad-to those who dont know how bad it can get here's what happens when marvel goes full ******

I know @kav respects Green Lantern #76, which story subject matter was in politics..... I'm sure clarification can be reached :) 

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know @kav respects Green Lantern #76, which story subject matter was in politics..... I'm sure clarification can be reached :) 

Its like there are true injustices and fake BS trendy BS-if that makes sense.
GL 76 was REAL.  
Safe spaces is BS.

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Safe Space and Snowflake is so stupid is sounds like a parody.  Or a plant by Russian trolls.

I guarantee there are no kids who had no interest in comics that will pick this up and go WOW I GOTTA READ THIS!  NOW I LIKE COMICS!!!

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

EC was putting out anti-war comics in the shadow of WWII.

Yup.  A lot of social commentary in Shock SuspenStories especially; racism, police corruption, drug addiction, religious intolerance / anti-semitism, mob violence.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/20/2020 at 7:31 PM, kav said:

The House of Dumb Ideas is back!
More social nitwittery from the mighty bull**** pen!
I thought America chavez was bad they managed to top that!
kudos!

throwing ice shurikens reminds me of that famous stan lee liefeld video where he explains his new hero throws explosive boomerangs.
Keep in mind-boomerangs RETURN.

Should've named him DUCK!

9 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Everyone on this board people_without_enough_empathy and whines about how kids aren't reading new books anymore and now when Marvel tries to do something that is geared towards kids, you person_without_enough_empathy and whine about that too. You can't eat your cake and have it too. This (clearly) isn't meant for the 40+ year olds that inhabit this board. Either they will try to remain relevant with kids by changing or die out along with us if they just keep doing the same old, same old that they were doing in the bronze/copper age. Yeah, I would hate the comic if I bought it. The whole idea is foreign and dumb to me but I realize that I don't think like kids today and maybe, just maybe this will resonate with them. So NO, not a dumb idea. 

They continue to try the SJW angle and they don't sell. The SJW crowd doesn't even buy them. Also, I don't see how this is for kids. Try to explain to a kid what Safe Space means by Binary and They/Them. It will fail hard. 

10 hours ago, kav said:

I guess I cant explain it well-there's good politics and there's bad-to those who dont know how bad it can get here's what happens when marvel goes full ******

i actually watched the video for 20 minutes before i couldn't take it anymore because that comic was once of the most stupid things i have ever seen in my life

14 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i actually watched the video for 20 minutes before i couldn't take it anymore because that comic was once of the most stupid things i have ever seen in my life

I watched the whole thing.  I was too stunned to move.  Mind blown that marvel would hire a writer with no history of writing comics whatsoever.  Her only writing credit was the self-absorbed and idiotic book 'juliet takes a breath' which only got attention because it checked all the right boxes for the SJW crowd.   Google what that book is about and you will facepalm for 3 straight hours.  Do not drive during this period.

Edited by kav

Even though the execrable comic 'America' failed after a few issues due to dismal sales, Marvel continues to try to push this idiotic character on us, putting her in cartoons and apparently the next avengers movies.  They are determined that we experiance America, whether we like it or not.  
Word is apparently even parakeets are pushing the shredded up comic out of their cages-

21 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

They continue to try the SJW angle and they don't sell. The SJW crowd doesn't even buy them. Also, I don't see how this is for kids. Try to explain to a kid what Safe Space means by Binary and They/Them. It will fail hard. 

SJW doesn't have anything to do with it, there are plenty of NON-SJW comics don't sell for Marvel either. 

Jane Foster Thor was considered a part of the 'SJW' group and it was one of Marvel's BEST selling monthly titles when it ran for YEARS. 

And most of these writers see Marvel's BIGGEST SJW of all time - Stan Lee - as a great inspiration to follow. 

Fact is, everyone complains when Marvel does NOTHING different - they keep repeating the same old thing or they re-op an idea ('Spider Gwen').

Everyone complains when Marvel DOES try to do something different. They can't win.

The best comics we will ever read came out when we were 8-13 years old (or the first 3-4 years you discovered comics). That will never change. Every 3-4 years you'll read something and say, "That was great!", but ultimately you'll go back again and again and read that stuff from your first 3-4 years you began comics. 

Mainstrean comics are simplified drivel that every once in a blue moon transcends its readership. You may as well be huffing and puffing about the 'new' episodes of Sesame Street not being as good as the original. They're not for you anyway. They're for the kid you used to be. I have no idea what kids want to read today, but just look at the top young adult books of the last 10 years. They LOVED Twilight. They loved that Hunger Games nonsense. The Hate U Give, The Fault in Our Stars... this is ALL SJW content. 

I get that most everyone here skews their pulse of the market place on where THEY come from - male/gamer/savvy comic reseller - but those people DON'T buy monthly comics (not counting the hot variant or sudden key issue they can flip on eBay). They don't get hooked on READING. Marvel has tried endlessly to target that market - it's in and out too fast. Besides, how do you get someone who is used to PS4 graphics (tho the same lame type of overly machismo storylines) to then come down to a level of comic book art? You don't. 

So you go after the readers. 

The 50+ year old men hating on everything Marvel does? They really could care less what you think of their new comics. Myself included. We don't buy them. We WON'T buy them. They're not FOR us. For US, they've got great reprint collections every month (Epic Collections series) and those Fascimile edition comics and even the $1 reprints, all of which I enjoy picking up to read. 

I can't imagine ever reading a new Marvel or DC comic... a mainstream title.... ever again. It just seems weird to me. That's Spider-man or a new character or ANY of it. It's just kinda gross at this point. I spend a lot of time reading old comics and it just gives me a headache to even TRY and work my way through some of this new stuff. And what would be the purpose? Continuity is a mess, characters die and come back, the stories are the same regurgitated pap that it's been for... my whole existence and more. 

And the SJW thing?

All of my favorite characters fought for the rights and justice for all. Not sure who everyone else's did.

14 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

The best comics we will ever read came out when we were 8-13 years old (or the first 3-4 years you discovered comics). That will never change. Every 3-4 years you'll read something and say, "That was great!", but ultimately you'll go back again and again and read that stuff from your first 3-4 years you began comics. 

Mainstrean comics are simplified drivel that every once in a blue moon transcends its readership. You may as well be huffing and puffing about the 'new' episodes of Sesame Street not being as good as the original. They're not for you anyway. They're for the kid you used to be.

You have just put your finger on it

23 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  A lot of social commentary in Shock SuspenStories especially; racism, police corruption, drug addiction, religious intolerance / anti-semitism, mob violence.

And all of it banned from comics by the other publishers and their self imposed Comics Code!

This is always the fear I have of the angry white male trying to tell everyone what is acceptable and trying to ridicule anything that doesn’t fit into his own world narrative- “Why does he care?”

”Why not just let the market decide?”

THERE it was - for a time - and NOW its looked back on as a great time capsule of its day. It’s more enjoyable than the junk that followed it for years after the Code.

But the angry white male is always going to fight it because it’s about control - or lack of it... 

Black Panther wasn’t universally accepted in 1966 or GLGA 76 in 1970 - these were seen as radical. That’s not an exaggeration. People treat them as if they were a given when they came out - It may seem strange to a 20-30 year old today to understand - those of us who grew up even in the 70’s (and especially earlier), just how different the world was. 

Everyone wants their voices heard. White Males, besides being 31% of our population (the largest), are an even bigger % of politics (55%) and even bigger in major news media. Their voices are very clearly heard. 

Keeping that power requires keeping those other voices suppressed.

Its never about what it IS, it’s always about control.