• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fair market value

15 posts in this topic

I have searched, I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times, but when you are submitting, does fair market value on the submission form, mean before it's graded or one that has been graded. The two prices are sometimes hugely different. Thanks for over looking my ignorance. Peace. 

1 minute ago, ghost of the wild said:

I have searched, I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times, but when you are submitting, does fair market value on the submission form, mean before it's graded or one that has been graded. The two prices are sometimes hugely different. Thanks for over looking my ignorance. Peace. 

Asked a million times, but honestly a good question.

good luck.

5 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

I always do raw value.....now whether that's right or wrong idk   lol

It's right if something happens to the package on the way to CGC.  If something happens to the package on the way back to you from CGC, you'll be wishing your insurance covered the slabbed values.

well could y'all help me on this , I am submitting a wolverine # 1 from the first mini series, now of course I think it's 9.8 but y'all know how that goes, I'm hoping, to me it looks perfect, so is fair market value 200, and if I'm correct ( rarely) and they bump it up to the next tier what will the price be to grade it. I'm new at this getting graded and hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

6 hours ago, ghost of the wild said:

well could y'all help me on this , I am submitting a wolverine # 1 from the first mini series, now of course I think it's 9.8 but y'all know how that goes, I'm hoping, to me it looks perfect, so is fair market value 200, and if I'm correct ( rarely) and they bump it up to the next tier what will the price be to grade it. I'm new at this getting graded and hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

You could post pics to the "Buddy Can  You Spare a Grade" forum to get opinions on the condition.  From there Ebay used sales/GoCollect/GPA etc could give you a range of values for those grades.

I haven't heard of people getting bumped from the low $200 tiers to the next level.  The few posts that I saw were always concerning the top level tiers (not that I'm guaranteeing it wont happen at any tier)

Think of FMV as CGC covering their insurance premiums.  If you see your book graded 9.8 then you have a good base for it's value (Ebay used sales/GoCollect/GPA etc)   for making an insurance claim with CGC if something happened to the book while in their care (damage in transit back home would be a claim with USPS/UPS/Fed Ex not CGC I believe)

Also the tiers have different time delays associated with them and if you'd rather not wait that extra time then it may be worth it to you to go to a higher tier if you think the book(s) was on the boundary

1 hour ago, csaag said:

You could post pics to the "Buddy Can  You Spare a Grade" forum to get opinions on the condition.  From there Ebay used sales/GoCollect/GPA etc could give you a range of values for those grades.

I haven't heard of people getting bumped from the low $200 tiers to the next level.  The few posts that I saw were always concerning the top level tiers (not that I'm guaranteeing it wont happen at any tier)

Think of FMV as CGC covering their insurance premiums.  If you see your book graded 9.8 then you have a good base for it's value (Ebay used sales/GoCollect/GPA etc)   for making an insurance claim with CGC if something happened to the book while in their care (damage in transit back home would be a claim with USPS/UPS/Fed Ex not CGC I believe)

Also the tiers have different time delays associated with them and if you'd rather not wait that extra time then it may be worth it to you to go to a higher tier if you think the book(s) was on the boundary

Thank you bro

21 hours ago, csaag said:

Keep in mind that the value you submit will be the EXACT value that CGC will reimburse you if the comic is lost or damaged. If I thought the comic was worth around $200, I would probably list its value at $400. It's only $11 more, and, on the plus side, your book will be graded more  quickly.

Another related question. The grading fee, as I understand it, means if I'm submitting a book printed after 1975 but has a FMV over $200.00, is $65.00 versus $20.00 for a book with a FMV under $200.00.  So if I submit two copies of Amazing Spider-Man #194 that I believe are 9.4 and 7.5, and if those grades jibe with CGC, does that mean I'd be charged $65.00 for the 9.4 and $20.00 for the 7.5?  Since you're guessing the grade going in, and if a book is selling for a number right around $200.00 does that mean there's no way to know precisely before you submit a book what the grading fee will be?

On 4/3/2020 at 2:59 PM, Coverless 9.8 said:

Another related question. The grading fee, as I understand it, means if I'm submitting a book printed after 1975 but has a FMV over $200.00, is $65.00 versus $20.00 for a book with a FMV under $200.00.  So if I submit two copies of Amazing Spider-Man #194 that I believe are 9.4 and 7.5, and if those grades jibe with CGC, does that mean I'd be charged $65.00 for the 9.4 and $20.00 for the 7.5?  Since you're guessing the grade going in, and if a book is selling for a number right around $200.00 does that mean there's no way to know precisely before you submit a book what the grading fee will be?

Dang good question, I would like to see the answer myself. If it goes over 200.00 up to 400 would that not make it the Economy at 38.00 ?? and if it goes over 400 then it would go to the standard up to 1000 at the 65.00. That is how I understand it, but I would like someone who has submitted books to tell me and you.

Edited by ghost of the wild

20 minutes ago, ghost of the wild said:

Dang good question, I would like to see the answer myself. If it goes over 200.00 up to 400 would that not make it the Economy at 38.00 ?? and if it goes over 400 then it would go to the standard up to 1000 at the 65.00. That is how I understand it, but I would like someone who has submitted books to tell me and you.

And since the turn around times for multi tiers are different, will they all still be shipped at one time??

8 hours ago, ghost of the wild said:

And since the turn around times for multi tiers are different, will they all still be shipped at one time??

I've submitted books at the same tier level and gotten back with grades which would've put them in diff tier levels but haven't gotten charged the difference.  I've read posts from others who were.  I don't know the reasons why or why not.  I wouldn't get worked up over it.   My opinion - submit your books based on what you would want them insured for should something happen in conjunction with how long you're willing to wait for them (ie the turn around times).  Keep in mind trying to submit books in same tiers to minimize your costs where possible.

Each tier ships back when the books in that tier are done.  So one submission which you indicate both value & modern would result in 2 shipments back to you.  That's how it worked for me

Now if you submit one batch of value and some end up getting charged the next tier - well I'd figure they wouldn't know that until after they were done (ie they'd have to know the grade to determine a higher FMV unless they do some sort of prescreen.  If so hopefully you'd get faster TAT) so I'd think they'd all get done at once and hence would ship back all together.  But that's just a guess on my part.  You could always contact CGC & ask them directly.

16 minutes ago, csaag said:

I've submitted books at the same tier level and gotten back with grades which would've put them in diff tier levels but haven't gotten charged the difference.

This. Chances are you won't get bumped to another tier. I have subbed New Mutants 98 and it came back 9.8 in the modern tier with no issues (only 1 of many examples).

One point to consider that I don’t think has been pointed out is that whatever amount you value at is the limit CGC will pay you if they damage or destroy your book. I always value at the max a tier allows albeit almost always the raw value. 

8 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

One point to consider that I don’t think has been pointed out is that whatever amount you value at is the limit CGC will pay you if they damage or destroy your book. I always value at the max a tier allows albeit almost always the raw value. 

+1