• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the point to slabbing any of these?
3 3

108 posts in this topic

jackpot fever leads to a lot of amusing listings on ebay like john carter of mars #1 9.8 listed at $11,380---
:roflmao:

even tho sold listings show sales for $67 some numbskull still gets jackpot fever-

9 minutes ago, kav said:

these guys lookin for suckers gonna be waitin a lotta minutes tho.

They say these pencil neck geeks are a dime a dozen...., I'm lookin' for the guy applying the dimes...., 

Pretend all of those books came back as a 9.8 ... which was probaly what the submitters were hoping for. Then " selling at either a loss or very marginal gains " wouldn't be an issue. They didn't come back 9.8, however, so they were dumped...auction, not BIN.

12 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Sure, but its still sold at a loss so why even bother?

they were hoping for 9.8s and sometimes even prescreens might not get the actual 9.8 grade (it could happen). now you sell for a few bucks to get back what you can on a gamble that did not pay off. If more gambles did pay off, then go around again. If you screwed the pooch on too many then time to stop this failed experiment.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

the person might have used the $150 membership credit to grade their best comic books over a two year span,... those were evidently the best books they had ......

It amazes me when you look at a venue like eBay, where about 95% of the slabs are just trashed books encased in plastic.  There are apparently a lot of people with a lot of money thinking they are going to get rich by slabbing their krap books.  Perhaps the rank and file collector/dealer can't really grade on their own.

23 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

This thread does raise the question, at what dollar value does slabbing a book make sense?

it is different for different types of sellers. But there are definitely times I have slabbed a $5 book to make it a $50 book (Bloodshot 1 9.8 for instance, just an easy current example. I bought a collection with about 100 bloodshot 1, many are 9.8 candidates. Many people have tons of these from stock, many would never slab one but some like me might. Bottom feeders.)

29 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

This thread does raise the question, at what dollar value does slabbing a book make sense?

I always felt 100-200$ was a decent treshold for book thst cost 20$ to grade. Of course, depends how much you spent on the book in the first place. If you bought a raw for 80$, getting it slabbed to sell it for 100$ is just as nonsensical.

The treshold could be lower with someone dealing in a much higher volume for immediate resell.

Edited by William-James88

When I first heard of the grading process I had the idea it only made sense for books worth $500 or more. I do have one case of submitting a low cost book. I picked up a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog #2 (from the limited series of 0 through 4) back in the early 2,000's for next to nothing. The book came back graded as a 9.6 a couple of years ago, and might fetch close to $200 on Ebay.

ETpRWBvXYAA-D4L?format=jpg&name=large

Here is one I slabbed because I like it, value never figured into the equation. Just fun. This is an off the rack purchase and I slabbed it to display in my home after Seth Fisher died. Sometimes people slab things with no thought to value but because they enjoy the hobby and the books. And then sometimes those items end up for sale further on down the road.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

ETpRWBvXYAA-D4L?format=jpg&name=large

Here is one I slabbed because I like it, value never figured into the equation. Just fun. This is an off the rack purchase and I slabbed it to display in my home after Seth Fisher died. Sometimes people slab things with no thought to value but because they enjoy the hobby and the books. And then sometimes those items end up for sale further on down the road.

wow I am liking the art on this book

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

It amazes me when you look at a venue like eBay, where about 95% of the slabs are just trashed books encased in plastic.  There are apparently a lot of people with a lot of money thinking they are going to get rich by slabbing their krap books.  Perhaps the rank and file collector/dealer can't really grade on their own.

That bugs me less than the guys getting the beaters and restored comics autographed to flip...

1 minute ago, FineCollector said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

That bugs me less than the guys getting the beaters and restored comics autographed to flip...

I don't know that it really bugs me, but I just think of all the waste of money and plastic - to no good end.

11 minutes ago, kav said:

wow I am liking the art on this book

:cry:

Seth Fisher died in late January 2006 as a result of injuries suffered in a fall from a seventh story roof of an Osaka, Japan club where he went to celebrate the completion of the last issue of Big in Japan.

5 hours ago, snitzer said:

Maybe the seller isn’t the one who had them slabbed? 

Good point. Maybe they bought a mystery box at an estate sale and these were in there, and they are just "blowing them out" so to speak.

4 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

That is a good point as well.

-slym