• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the point to slabbing any of these?
3 3

108 posts in this topic

The reasons some people get books graded is not always guided by logic. It sort of goes back to the whole "collect how you want to" view of the world. Also-- I never assume that just because someone owns a graded book that they also were the ones who had it sent off to be graded.

CGC's whole business model (well, maybe half) is getting worthless books graded.

I remember a ways back there was someone on here, CGC's very board, that was telling people that they shouldn't get moderns slabbed. Period. Weird, but it shows that, like TheDude and others have said, you can't figure someone else's logic out a lot of the time. In most of those cases, there probably isn't any logic or reason to begin with.

-slym

Edited by slym2none

18 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

simple answer... there are a lot of dumb people around

They outnumber us.  And they has us surrounded..., on all three sides...., :shy:

Some sellers are getting drenched right now.

I was looking at a book from this seller a few days ago and checked out his sold listings. I was alarmed at how his last auction went:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/socalcom/m.html?hash=item3b43cd49c9%3Ag%3AJ6sAAOSwtbpebP6K&item=254540597705&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=cgc&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

A total of 19 out of 26 slabbed books were less than $20; 9 were under $10.

Non-key slabbed moderns are showing their true colours.

On 3/20/2020 at 6:55 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Who buys a high grade slab of a nothing book?! To me paying $15-30 for a book you can get for $1-3 raw in similar condition is silly.

Unless of course you are putting together a graded run or something. 

I once paid $202 for a slabbed book that sold for $1 raw.  I've been offered $10,000 for it. :whistle:

Just now, William-James88 said:
2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I once paid $202 for a slabbed book that sold for $1 raw.  I've been offered $10,000 for it. :whistle:

It was selling for 1$ raw at the same time that you bought it for 202$ slabbed?

Yep. It was 17 years ago. The raw was $1 at the time I paid $202 for the slabbed. Submitters to CGC since then have sent 4,200 other copies (spending about $125,000 just on slabbing fees and shipping costs) to try to get another one. 

They haven't yet.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yep. It was 17 years ago. The raw was $1 at the time I paid $202 for the slabbed. Submitters to CGC since then have sent 4,200 other copies (spending about $125,000 just on slabbing fees and shipping costs) to try to get another one. 

They haven't yet.

Little confused, you mean trying to get a certain grade?

4 minutes ago, cgcsketcherz said:
7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

They haven't yet.

Little confused, you mean trying to get a certain grade?

Yep, I paid $202 for a CGC 10.0 (back when they had the .0 on the label) of a raw book that was only worth $1 at the time.  After 4,200 other copies have been graded, it's still the only CGC 10.  I've been offered $10,000 multiple times, even though CGC 9.8 only sells for around $100.  Raw (not necessarily 9.8, but "near mint") sells for about $5 - $10.

Edited by valiantman

I have two books in my collection that kinda sorta qualify for why does it need a slab?  I bought them slabbed already, so I could see why the person slabbing them thought they had a shot at 9.8's.  I didn't mind paying the price premium since I always found these mid-90's deadpool books difficult to find in 9.6-9.8 raw, most modern books on ebay get a flat NM rating by just about everyone because they are from the 90s so they all look mint.  Nobody takes the time to grade them.  So there's my reasoning.  

58e8seC.jpg

Edited by 90sChild

Just now, 90sChild said:

I have two books in my collection that kinda sorta qualify for why does it need a slab?  I bought them slabbed already, so I could see why the person slabbing them thought they had a shot at 9.8's.  I didn't mind the price premium since I always found these mind 90's deadpool books difficult to find in 9.6-9.8 raw, most modern books on ebay get a flat NM rating by just about everyone because they are from the 90s so they all look mint.  Nobody takes the time to grade them.  So there's my reasoning.  

58e8seC.jpg

That's the important point.  If you want to own the book, buy an 8.0 raw for next to nothing.  If you want to own a high grade raw copy, take your chances on raw.  If you want to own a true 9.6+, you either roll the dice on raw or you buy slabbed.  90% of collectors probably have zero local options for buying the specific raw books they need that they can inspect before purchase.  If online buying is the only option, then slabbed is the only guarantee.

29 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's the important point.  If you want to own the book, buy an 8.0 raw for next to nothing.  If you want to own a high grade raw copy, take your chances on raw.  If you want to own a true 9.6+, you either roll the dice on raw or you buy slabbed.  90% of collectors probably have zero local options for buying the specific raw books they need that they can inspect before purchase.  If online buying is the only option, then slabbed is the only guarantee.

Agreed. Even in So Cal where there are a lot of books available raw, the 8.0 raws still cost too much due to all of the various sorts of information out there.

Too many buyers literally look at Key Collector App while they dig through boxes and only purchase books with a highlighted note on the app. Because of this, shops and vendors price accordingly and I generally only purchase high grade, modern raws since the price discrepancy between an 8.0 and 9.6 is disproportionately small.

Edited by Asianassassincomics