• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the point to slabbing any of these?
3 3

108 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, NWOslave said:

I can understand if someone paid to have it slabbed or signed just for their personal enjoyment. i have to admit i have three graded/signed books that cost more than they are actually worth. But they are more valuable to me than the money i paid for the services. They are certainly nothing im going to try an flip but rather I proudly have displayed. 

I agree with having books signed/graded past actual value for sentimental value. Been there, and done that. 

Don't understand trying to sell those three at .5 unless maybe the person inherited them and thought oh they will sell better slabbed? 

On 3/20/2020 at 9:19 PM, William-James88 said:

hese were just a few examples, I can find hundreds like this. I dont get either the buying or selling of most of these randomly slabbed books.

It's because the illusion has overcome the reality...

3 minutes ago, Lest 2 Art said:

But why? They're not worth much so it's not for resale, protection, or resto detection. Is it just because you guys think slabs are cool? Can't you be sentimental with a 2Mil Mylar and Fullback?(shrug)

Maybe they want a fancy tray for mugs or plates on their coffee tables. 

No-one is factoring in the missing part of this.

All the examples had been auctioned.

A low value, cold book won't have 10 people in a bidding war.

A BIN may well attract the one person who wants that book for whatever reason.

Slabbed drek will always do better as a BIN than auction.

I've slabbed plenty of drek. Not all of us view this hobby as an investment. I never intend to flip the stuff I collect. For what it's worth, most (but not all) of the things I'm interested in have at least a few books "worth" slabbing. In the grand scheme of things, slabbing isn't that expensive, and the aesthetic of a uniform collection is appealing.

Of course, later this year, I'll probably be requesting a registry entry where honestly nothing should have been slabbed and you all can roundly mock me for it. :P

20 hours ago, lighthouse said:

For every person in this thread expressing the opinion that slabbing these books was dumb, I hear an equal number of customers every week asking me why we don’t “get all these books graded”...

They’ll flip through a box of mid grade Silver Age and see 12-center after 12-center priced at $30-50 and in all seriousness will say things like “man these books are gorgeous you should get them all graded and you’ll make a fortune!”

But would those same people be willing to pay 80-100$ for those same books but in slabs? 

52 minutes ago, William-James88 said:
21 hours ago, lighthouse said:

For every person in this thread expressing the opinion that slabbing these books was dumb, I hear an equal number of customers every week asking me why we don’t “get all these books graded”...

They’ll flip through a box of mid grade Silver Age and see 12-center after 12-center priced at $30-50 and in all seriousness will say things like “man these books are gorgeous you should get them all graded and you’ll make a fortune!”

But would those same people be willing to pay 80-100$ for those same books but in slabs? 

No - but if they're like me, they'll gladly pick them up for $15-25 :banana: 

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Typically the folks who make those comments are the same folks who refuse to buy any slabbed books under any circumstances.

I can put a raw 9.2 Spidey 300 on the wall at the same price as a slabbed 9.4 and there are a LARGE number of customers who will choose the raw book. Heck I can put a raw 8.5 up for "slabbed 9.4 minus slabbing costs" and it will sell faster off the wall than the slab will.

But there are lots of folks who think "I heard rich people really like those so you should sell them to rich people" with a very limited understanding of what it is the rich people actually like. True in comics, true in restaurants, true in most anything.

42 minutes ago, ChrispyC66 said:

People need to slab and sell drek for capital gain losses to offset their more profitable sales hm

Yeah, I don't get it either. CGC has an exact service done to check if the book is the grade you want it for, and that's much cheaper than getting that worthless book slabbed.

And those .5 Whiz comics slabbed still make no sense to me. Those arent old slabs, I find it hard to believe someone got them for sentimental value and then sold them off a few years later. Guess they werent too sentimental about them after all.

And the date of the auction doesnt matter either, the pandemic hasnt seemed to impact books much (no clear pattern). You can still buy the same worthless books for those same lower than slabbing prices at the same auctions these were found at. Here's another one I just got from comiclink: Hawkman 5 for 33$. That's cheaper than the cost of grading that book when you factor in shipping (grading alone would be 27$ before taxes).

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1392946

There was no reason in grading that book, the owner could have sold it anywhere else unslabbed and at least not lose money.

Edited by William-James88

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Yeah, I don't get it either. CGC has an exact service done to check if the book is the grade you want it for, and that's much cheaper than getting that worthless book slabbed.

They do. But only if you have 25 books in the same tier that you want screened all at the same grade. I've done submissions of 100 books at a time where I still didn't have 25 matches of tier and grade. If you're just burning off a $150 credit, a prescreen is far beyond your means.

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

They do. But only if you have 25 books in the same tier that you want screened all at the same grade. I've done submissions of 100 books at a time where I still didn't have 25 matches of tier and grade. If you're just burning off a $150 credit, a prescreen is far beyond your means.

Or if you're doing it onsite - there's no prescreen option there. I submitted 44 books at Baltimore last October. 38 came back 9.8, 1 9.9, 5 9.6. The 9.6s I took a "loss" on (well, not the Detective 880) but that was factored into the monster profits on the other 39 books.

8 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

You're missing the point. If I miss and have slabbed drek, I don't want to sit on it, I want it gone. If it sells for whatever, its already factored into the price of the books I didn't miss on.

The point of the thread was wierd drekky books that hit 4.5 or something.

Not hot/fast flip books that missed 9.8 by 0.2.

I also doubt that those books were subbed by professional full time businesses like yours.

7 hours ago, Beige said:

The point of the thread was wierd drekky books that hit 4.5 or something.

Not hot/fast flip books that missed 9.8 by 0.2.

I also doubt that those books were subbed by professional full time businesses like yours.

I think the topic devolved to include the drek, but I think @FlyingDonut has a good point. For some they are dumping books they missed a 9.8 (check Moon Knight, FF 161 GI Joe and Marvel Age 90 as good examples of books that are overvalued in 9.8.  
My opinion is that there are a number of reasons to answer the OP. Maybe we can make it a poll question? (shrug)

Here are my Top10 reasons people slab comics that aren’t with the plastic polymers they are encased in:

10. I know the publisher and he asked me to get it slabbed

9. There’s a movie buzz about this book

8. Cover price is .10, .12, .15, .20...

7. I need one more 9.8 for a complete run of...

6. It was the first comic I ever owned

5. This copy will be the first 9.8 on the CGC census

4. It has 10 cool covers and I want all of them in 9.8

3. It’s worth something to someone, right?

2. Comic Tom and Key Collector has it in a Top 10 this week

and the number 1 reason is...

1. @greggy hasn’t slabbed this book yet :foryou:

@1Cool

The CGC Census has given the wrong impression about "normal comic grades".  So many books have "tons" of CGC 9.8 and CGC 9.6 that collectors could easily expect those grades on their raw books and just submit them.  The average raw "near mint" copy of books from the late-1980s is probably 8.5.  There are millions of collectors thinking they have 9.8s, and they probably do have a few, but they have boxes and boxes of 8.5s.