• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Adventures
7 7

740 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

=DC-StrangeAdv130-6.0.jpg

Some great covers on this title isn't there - this was always a favourite. He looks very happy doesn't he, Mr Frog, as frogs often do. Thanks for posting them all :)

Just now, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Thanks.  I'll try to post more of mine tomorrow maybe...

I like comparing them to Marvels Strange Tales. DC always seemed a bit more whacky and inventive. Do they read well? 

4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I like comparing them to Marvels Strange Tales. DC always seemed a bit more whacky and inventive. Do they read well? 

Yes, but not as well as a Spiderman.  :facepalm:  But, I really like the golden age issues.  They were written much better than the code issues.  I read one of my recent pickups and it almost seemed like an EC story...:whatthe:

9 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Yes, but not as well as a Spiderman.  :facepalm:  But, I really like the golden age issues.  They were written much better than the code issues.  I read one of my recent pickups and it almost seemed like an EC story...:whatthe:

I might track a few down online and have a read. Especially the frog one :)

43 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Pretty well.  I actually have a great fondness for the irregular series that ran in the title.  They only rarely got the cover, and appeared every few issues rather than regularly, but Atomic Knights, and Star Hawkins (which I don't have nearly enough of), and Animal Man (among others) are all favorites.  Then Deadman is, of course, spectacular, if a bit disjointed.

8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I read it online this morning. Surprisingly entertaining.

frogs.PNG.2e0fb3ef00c5920db22210f87ff147f6.PNG

frogs2.PNG.c0d97a5b581f3862520db011f6fe5b54.PNG

It's funny, it's a beautiful day here in England and as quiet and still as can be. I'm planning to work through my Charltons and catch up on my scanning as I've been neglecting my threads lately (not that anyone reads them) and haven't posted any of my recent acquisitions for a long time. Reading this comic this morning, and looking at my old comics now, gives me a real sense of loss. Their time is gone. No kid today will likely ever read a book about war mongering frogs in their underwater kingdom with the wonder and excitement that we did years ago. The world was so different back then, simpler and dare I say it kinder. There were still opportunities for simple pleasures and things could still amaze you and leave you in wonder. Today, everything has been done. A click of a mouse and anything can be found. For all its obvious benefits I find it soulless. A soulless age where nothing is new and instant gratification is the way. Would anyone read a comic like that today, ten times over, and wait a month for the next issue? 

I'm going to wallow in nostalgia this morning and read some crappy old Charltons while I scan them to my files. It's great that I can do that, and type my thoughts here to those reading now. I could buy a comic from my phone while I wait for a bus today. But I wish I was a kid again, computer free, mobile phone free, running to the newsagent to see if the latest paper comic was out. 

I agree.  And I still refuse to have a smart phone, or to even look at the Internet when I am away from home...It has turned a lot of people into less than intelligent individuals.

27 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

That alien is wearing Adam Strange's costume!

DC was so original, huh? lol But, Strange Adventures #74 pre-dated the first appearance of Adam by 2 years.  So Adam's costume is actually stolen from the alien...and that should make this issue worth 10 times more for the first appearance of Adam's costume...hm

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian