• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Adventures
7 7

740 posts in this topic

And a handful from later in the run.  I think the 222 and 226 are the only two issues from 217-244 to have new stories; the 229 somebody posted their Mystery in Space #17 in another thread and I wanted to read the story.  This was just a lot easier to track down than the original.

I find the by-lines on #229 interesting, calling attention to Walter Gibson and Virgil Finlay.  I have the Mystery in Space 19 with the first appearance of the Finlay story, but it's still fun to see him getting credit on a cover.

Strange_Adventures_222.jpg

Strange_Adventures_226.jpg

Strange_Adventures_229.jpg

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

And a handful from later in the run.  I think the 222 and 226 are the only two issues from 217-244 to have new stories; the 229 somebody posted their Mystery in Space #17 in another thread and I wanted to read the story.  This was just a lot easier to track down than the original.

I find the by-lines on #229 interesting, calling attention to Walter Gibson and Virgil Finlay.  I have the Mystery in Space 19 with the first appearance of the Finlay story, but it's still fun to see him getting credit on a cover.

Strange_Adventures_222.jpg

Strange_Adventures_226.jpg

Strange_Adventures_229.jpg

Terrific cover on issue #229. (thumbsu

This is the earliest copy of Strange Adventures I have. It was given to me by one of my brother's friends on Christmas Day in 1971. Why I remember so clearly is we also watched the thrilling double overtime playoff game between the Dolphins and Chiefs that evening with Miami winning on a 37 yard field goal to end it 27-24. A pivotal game in NFL history that marked the changing of the guard. It was the beginning of the great Miami teams and the beginning of the end of the great Kansas City teams. 

1130968616_STRANGEADVENTURES190.jpg.34705ba05d0cd6ab01857388d7d49607.jpg

931335386_dolphinschiefs.jpg.46c6f2db7526d84d1922c5474cf05d3a.jpg

On 4/15/2020 at 5:51 PM, Robot Man said:

Surprised this one hasn’t been posted yet. One of my top SAs. Just got it today. A lucky find as I’ve been looking a while...

0AC8D9EE-F42F-4C72-91E5-457038590380.jpeg

Got this lower grade copy in the mail today...I'll trade you Bob, and even toss in an extra $10 so you can buy lunch...:whistle:

49820158326_42a125dd95_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

6 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Got this lower grade copy in the mail today...I'll trade you Bob, and even toss in an extra $10 so you can buy lunch...:whistle:

49820158326_42a125dd95_c.jpg

Interesting story in this one. It kind of reminded me of what what Spock did to Dr. McCoy at the end of the Wrath of Kahn and the subsequent Search for Spock. Spock transfers his Katra to Dr. McCoy before he dies saying “Remember”.

5 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Interesting story in this one. It kind of reminded me of what what Spock did to Dr. McCoy at the end of the Wrath of Kahn and the subsequent Search for Spock. Spock transfers his Katra to Dr. McCoy before he dies saying “Remember”.

Yeah, similar...but, the story doesn't exactly follow the cover dialog. :whatthe:  That scenario seemed to be typical for DC Sci-fi covers in those days.  I don't understand why they couldn't just write a story that would follow the cover scene exactly... (shrug)

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

36 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Yeah, similar...but, the story doesn't exactly follow the cover dialog. :whatthe:  That scenario seemed to be typical for DC Sci-fi covers in those days.  I don't understand why they couldn't just write a story that would follow the cover scene exactly... (shrug)

Yes, you are right about that. The context of the story plays out differently than what’s depicted on the cover. 

7 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Just made an interesting discovery in the Snowman story from Strange Adventures #79 that turns the current climate change/CO2 as a greenhouse gas science upside down. Is this what was believed about CO2 concentrations in the 1950’s? It seems they have the CO2 is opaque to heat part right, but the conclusions are wrong. Check it out.

0A1BF6D8-B44D-4F24-8588-66A284A2FA3E.jpeg.65c6b3a79c5f5842fba7a5e20f5661ae.jpeg

OK...so where's the rest of the story?  You can't just leave us hanging like this...:whatthe:

A few in today.  This gives me all three Faceless Creature stories.  The Grey Tone cover on the 143 doesn't get the love the 110 does, but it's just beautiful in person.  The Grey Tone covers just never show up as nicely on a computer screen as they do in hand, unfortunately.

I stand corrected on my earlier statement when I thought SA 226 had the last new story in the title, 227 has a new one as well.

Strange_Adventures_124.jpg

Strange_Adventures_143.jpg

Strange_Adventures_227.jpg