• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So... how exactly does Magneto fly?

38 posts in this topic

Has this ever been truly explained? I have heard something about "manipulation of the Earth's magnetic field", but how would that lift him and enable him to fly around? Is it a deformation of the field that he wraps around him somehow? Is he... oh, wow, this just entered my mind, is he hurling himself around by focusing and strengthening certain fields with his mutant power that pull on the metals in his body?

Could you imagine, being thrown around by being suddenly attracted to a field stronger than yourself on a cellular level????? That would hurt - and I could see Magnus doing it over and over until he would just get used to it. That would be a great story, IMHO. (But of course I would say that, I just thought it up.) ;)

Postulate!!! Yes, I am talking to you!

:)

-slym

38 minutes ago, slym2none said:

Has this ever been truly explained? I have heard something about "manipulation of the Earth's magnetic field",

That's what I read somewhere a while back, on ah internet page where someone took the time to explain the physics of different characters powers.

And coincidentally, it's the same way time and pigs fly! I'm sure everyone has heard those expressions, "My, how time flies", and "Yeah, right. When pigs fly".

And there you have it! :angel:

electromagnetism is a force, like gravity. I find that more plausible than some guy hitting flash with a boomerang, while flash is traveling near speed of light.

He can control and hence manipulate the EM force between himself and the Earth's magnetic core pole, etc, this emulating flight control. They actually have something like this with flight vehicles.

Superman is alien with properties unknown to Earth. Perhaps there are different physics, etc.. on Krypton that do not behave same as Earth or on Earth.

Edited by bronze_rules

1 hour ago, Juno Beach said:

To go a bit further, how does any superhero fly without a means of force and wings? Somebody must have explained Superman being able to fly around?

Some things I don't question, but when the writers try to explain it, as with my case & Magneto, then I want a somewhat plausible explanation. "Somewhat" being the key word there.

;)

-slym

7 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Nah, those just help him swim really fast :roflmao:

Being in a comic book, unlike the real world, they could make his ankle wings spin like little boat propellers as well. Maybe they already do, because I’m no expert on the character.

16 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Equally ridiculous are the Sub-Mariner’s tiny foot wings.

Hi Paul - hope you are well.  

I always thought Subbie's aero-tarsals were inspired by Mercury/Hermes although I think those were winged sandals?

I also think GA Flash's helmet was similarly inspired.

2 minutes ago, telerites said:

Hi Paul - hope you are well.  

I always thought Subbie's aero-tarsals were inspired by Mercury/Hermes although I think those were winged sandals?

I also think GA Flash's helmet was similarly inspired.

Hope you're okay too in this difficult time, pal.

You're right about the classical inspiration.

I'm just being silly.

I thought it was suspension of disbelief? These are superhero comics, do we really need everything quantified?

A wise comic book creator has said when you start worrying about how The Thing goes to the bathroom, it might be time to move on to another genre.