• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EsquireComics Remaining More Fun Comics For Sale
6 6

103 posts in this topic

I do not find myself on the boards much any more but the old timers here know that at one time I was collecting the entire run of New Fun/More Fun comics (127 issues in all). I made it to within a hairs breadth of completion, including having many Church copies, when circumstances required me to offer most of the collection for sale. Pretty much all of the pedigrees were sold but I made sure I did not have to sell New Fun #1-6 and More Fun #7-10. Any collector who knows the history of this title is aware of its incredible importance to our community. Now, I am finally getting back to offering what remained to those of you on the boards.

Shipping Costs/Method: For books over $250.00 domestic shipping via USPS Priority Mail is FREE. If you want another method to be used, actual shipping costs will be charged. International is actual cost to be assessed but $30.00 upfront (any excess will be refunded). Over $3,000.00 is free for international buyers. Multiple orders can be combined. Insurance and delivery confirmation is included. Other shipping methods available upon request.

Payment Methods: Personal checks, postal money orders, bank cashier checks, wire transfers, and paypal. All checks and money orders should be made payable to EsquireComics. Paypal account is EsquireComics@aol.com.

My Return Policy: I certainly believe you will be happy with your purchase. For raw books, I do my best to objectively grade every book and provide you with detailed descriptions. I have been collecting comics for over 40 years and I have served as an Advisor to the Overstreet Comic Book & Pricing Guides  since 2006.

However, your personal satisfaction is very important to me. If for any reason you wish to return your purchase, you may do so. However, you must notify me in writing within three (3) calendar days of receiving the book that you desire to return it, and you must ship it back to me within seven (7) calendar days. All associated costs for returning the book must be borne by the purchaser. And, of course, the book must be returned in the same condition it was received.

This return policy applies to CGC books as well.

Payment Plans: Payment plans can be negotiated so long as full payment will be received within 3 months. A non-refundable 1/3 deposit minimum will be required.

Counter-Offers: Don't hesitate to make a counter-offer via PM, especially for multiple books. But first :takeit: for each book always takes it. I will follow-up via PM.

Please note that any book not sold after fourteen (14) days may be placed in other venues. and the listed price is no longer valid. Please inquire as to availability and price

Please let me know if you have any questions.

And I do hope that all our fellow board members, their families, friends and colleagues are healthy. This is a difficult time for everyone but we will get through it!

Edited by esquirecomics

More Fun Comics #15 (DC, 1936) CGC 5.0 Off-white to white pages.

This issue rates a Gerber "8". Only three copies grade higher. Heritage has had only five copies ever offered, and the last one was back in 2012.

Vincent Sullivan provided the cover, and contributed interior artwork for this early issue, as did Creig Flessel, Lou O'Mealia, and Joe Shuster. Siegel and Shuster's Dr. Occult is a highlight.

Sharp looking 5.0. I have no idea why it graded so low. What a beauty for a book over 80 years old!!!

$2,100.00

MF15.jpeg

Edited by esquirecomics

7 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Can't see the pictures on Photobucket, Mark :foryou:

Yep. Photobucket has changed. It's no longer free.

You'll have to save the pic and attach it to your post here (see choose files below the posting box)

More Fun Comics #16 (DC, 1936) CGC 3.5 Light Tan to Off-White Pages

This issue has the last of the three stories in which Dr. Occult wore red and blue and wielded super-powers -- an obvious "Superman tryout" for Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, who hadn't yet unveiled the Man of Steel (while Dr. Occult continued to appear in the series, this was the end of his "super" phase). Siegel and Shuster also contributed the Calling All Cars feature (later called Radio Squad), and a host of other adventure and humor strips rounded out the issue.

The Christmas cover, which is ALWAYS sought after, was drawn by Vin Sullivan.

The issue is a Gerber "7." Reuben Blades copy.

Heritage has only auctioned three copies of this issue in 18 years!!!! Only seven copies have been graded.

There must be something internal to the book to bring this issue down to a 3.5 because this is one of the best 3.5s I have ever seen.

$1,500.00

MF16.jpeg

MF16b.jpeg

Edited by esquirecomics

26 minutes ago, Mac Man said:

Wow, Mark. Can't believe you're cutting them loose. Please tell me the funds are going towards a new nerd venture?-)

Once I sold the best copies, it just didn't have the same feel any longer to keep the rest (except for the first ten). And some of the issues jumped so high in value that buying them back again was a non-starter.

But no worries as these funds will go to buy other collectibles! Can't cure me of that addiction! :golfclap:

2 minutes ago, esquirecomics said:

Once I sold the best copies, it just didn't have the same feel any longer to keep the rest (except for the first ten). And some of the issues jumped so high in value that buying them back again was a non-starter.

But no worries as these funds will go to buy other collectibles! Can't cure me of that addiction! :golfclap:

What do you collect now, Mark?  still chasing ashcans?

Edited by sfcityduck

More Fun Comics #17 (DC, 1937) CGC 4.0 off-white pages.

This is the second highest graded copy with the top only at 6.5. Heritage has only auctioned off three copies (one of which was restored) in 18 years and it took them seven years in between actually obtaining a copy for sale! Not one copy has been available for ten years.

When the New Year's cover is ringing in 1937 you know you've got an early comic book! This issue of DC's first series precedes the likes of Detective #1. Vin Sullivan cover art.

Good luck finding a copy, especially one that looks this good!

$1,900.00

MF17.jpeg

MF17b.jpeg

Edited by esquirecomics

Just now, sfcityduck said:

What do you collect now, Mark?  still chasing ashcans?

Yes, although I rarely come across any. Still also chasing any court exhibit copies I can find. I buy a lot of historical memorabilia, including comic related.

More Fun Comics #22 (DC 1937) CGC VG+ 4.5 Light tan to off-white pages. 

Some of the most influential scripters and artists of comics' early days contributed to this issue, including Creig Flessel, Vincent Sullivan, Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, and Leo O'Mealia.

Just five unrestored copies of this Gerber "scarce" issue have been certified by CGC to date, with the highest grade earned thus far a modest 6.0. The Church copy, which I used to own, is restored. Heritage has only sold three copies in nearly twenty years.

$500.00

MF22.jpg

MF22b.jpg

23 minutes ago, esquirecomics said:

More Fun Comics #19 (DC, 1937) CGC 6.5 off-white pages.

Lost Valley pedigree. Gerber "7".

Vincent Sullivan cover. Dr. Occult story by Jerry Siegel. Sullivan, Creig Flessel, and Joe Shuster art. Back cover ad for Detective Comics #1.

Only one copy grades higher at an 8.0 and no surprise that it is the Church copy.

Like most of these early More Fun comics, this copy is rarely for sale. Heritage sold a CGC 4.5 copy in January 2018 for $1,314.50. Before that, no copy had been offered since 2011.

$1,700.00

MF19.jpeg

MF19b.jpeg

:takeit:

More Fun Comics #24 (DC, 1937) CGC VG+ 4.5 Light tan to off-white pages.

Just three unrestored copies have been graded higher -- all pedigrees - the Billy Wright, Lost Valley and the Mile High copies! Vincent Sullivan cover. Dr. Occult story by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. A Gerber "scarce."

Heritage hasn't sold a copy since 2012.

$700.00

MF24.jpeg

MF24b.jpeg